Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 11:36 PM

379 posts, read 813,621 times

Advertisements

Do we have mostly employers, the self employed, the department of labor, law enforcement officials, the working class or the unemployed?

Last edited by mash potato; 10-24-2011 at 12:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2011, 04:42 AM

753 posts, read 1,483,133 times
I started hanging out here when I was deciding to quit my teaching career and change to something else. I knew nothing but how to get, keep, and excel at a teaching job.

I am a member of a middle class family, married to a great guy who is supposedly not as book smart as I am but who is incredibly wise about career issues (and actually loves his work). I, on the other hand, seem to have no clue. I come here for the wisdom of people who have been in the work force a lot longer than me and those who seem to naturally know how to navigate careers, career changes, etc.

Right now I am piecing together come supplemental family income (pay decrease of about $40,00 when compared to my teaching salary-but still worth it) from several part-time jobs, including one that is my dream job.

Old 10-24-2011, 06:10 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,260,275 times
I post there frequently, and I'm a hiring manager. Currently working on my 4th hire since last November due to turnover (promotions/transfers) and a couple of new positions.

Before that I had my own small business and hired regularly. Interesting how different the laws are between employers with more or less than 50 employees.

Old 10-24-2011, 06:14 AM

2,135 posts, read 5,491,665 times
I think most people who post on here are lower to middle class types who either are in debt, or unemployed. I do know there are a lot of holier than thou types on here who seem to have a debt free lifestyle living on $24,500 a year raising a family of four. They must eat there own garbage and live in a tent, but they think if they do it, everyone else should to. Um, excuse me while I go watch UVerse and text on my smartphone. I know you don't own a TV or have a cell phone, but you ARE A WEIRDO.

Old 10-24-2011, 06:20 AM

8,070 posts, read 12,793,878 times
I started coming here because I am looking for work and thought it would be helpful to learn from others experiences. I was in manufacturing/Quality but the plant shut down so I decided to make a career change which hasn't gone as smoothly as I had hoped.

I am also in the start up phase of a business. My ultimate goal is to operate the business full time but I am looking for work right now to have income coming in.

Old 10-24-2011, 07:42 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,791,948 times
I don't post, but I read the board. Never been unemployed or anything... I just like to read TVSG's drama

Old 10-24-2011, 07:49 AM

1,090 posts, read 3,169,044 times
I'm a mid-20s gal working in corporate media. I detest it lol.
I originally completed nursing school and earned my nursing license. I absolutely LOVED the academics and patient care, but the backstabbing, cruelty and unbelievable amount of drama wasn't worth it.

I currently put in my 2 weeks notice to concentrate more on my home based business. To play things safe, I will also be doing some part-time consulting...and a bit of budgeting

Old 10-24-2011, 09:52 AM

475 posts, read 1,371,475 times
Why would law enforcement and the DOL be hanging out on this site?
Are you trying to tell us something?

Old 10-24-2011, 10:02 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,274,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash potato View Post
Do we have mostly employers, the self employed, the department of labor, law enforcement officials, the working class or the unemployed?
I'm self-employed. I came here looking for tales of bad bosses to remind myself that not having to answer to an ogre is worth all of the challenges of self-employment.

I stayed for the same reason I hang around the Relationships board: I'm not in a situation where I need advice, but I'm 45 and have lived a little, and I know what worked for me, so why not contribute? It might help someone else.

Or knock some sense into a delusional head.

Old 10-24-2011, 04:37 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,525,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BingCherry View Post
I'm a mid-20s gal working in corporate media. I detest it lol.
I originally completed nursing school and earned my nursing license. I absolutely LOVED the academics and patient care, but the backstabbing, cruelty and unbelievable amount of drama wasn't worth it.

I currently put in my 2 weeks notice to concentrate more on my home based business. To play things safe, I will also be doing some part-time consulting...and a bit of budgeting
In your nurse-bashing thread you were telling everyone how thrilled you were to have your cushy office job instead of nursing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment