Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 05:22 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,042,276 times

Advertisements

The Job is full-time but it only last for 6 months and will end on June 30th?

Why would someone want to put themselves in a situation like that only to be seeking employment in 180 days? Basically this company is being upfront about wanting to use someone for half of year and then have that person looking for work again in July of 2013. Shouldn't this employer just hire through a agency instead of asking for unemployed people to apply to a position with a end date? That way the agency can just notify the applicant after 6 months and say they don't need your services anymore. This is honestly the dumbest job posting I have seen in the entire of 2012.

Just taking advantage of so many people who need employment which is ridiculous
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2012, 05:49 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,803,679 times
Those are very common they're usually posted by an agency. I've seen some that are only like 2 months. The sad part is if you take something like that the next employer tries to label you a job hopper...never mind the fact you might have a family at home and didn't have a choice. Can the working guy get a break already for cryin' out loud?

At least they are honest though some companies will not even tell you that and just say you're a temp with a "chance" to get full time. Also believe it or not some people actually go after jobs like that. They will try to collect unemployment for a while after they are laid off.

Old 12-04-2012, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
Those are very common they're usually posted by an agency. I've seen some that are only like 2 months. The sad part is if you take something like that the next employer tries to label you a job hopper...never mind the fact you might have a family at home and didn't have a choice. Can the working guy get a break already for cryin' out loud?

At least they are honest though some companies will not even tell you that and just say you're a temp with a "chance" to get full time. Also believe it or not some people actually go after jobs like that. They will try to collect unemployment for a while after they are laid off.

Well I would be interested in a 5 year run atleast wherever I start working because I don't want to apply to a job just to be looking again in a new season.

Old 12-04-2012, 05:59 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,803,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Well I would be interested in a 5 year run at least wherever I start working because I don't want to apply to a job just to be looking again in a new season.
Yeah I understand...like you said these companies are basically abusing the heck out of the employer's market and now they use these agencies more than ever. They love it because these agencies kiss their butt for any chance at some business including lying to the potential employee and leaving out bits of info (lies of omission).

Old 12-04-2012, 06:22 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,124,894 times
I took a 1 month temp assignment, as one of my first jobs. I went permanent and stayed there 4 years, before I quit. I could have easily gone a 5th year.

At another job, I took an assignment for 3 days. Two weeks later, the staffing agency had me interview for a perm position with the company in a different dept. I worked their 4 years, too. Contract status means little.

Some people have been in a 6-month assignment for 3 years. The contracts get extended again every 6 months, when the client still needs the contractor.

Old 12-04-2012, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
I took a 1 month temp assignment, as one of my first jobs. I went permanent and stayed there 4 years, before I quit. I could have easily gone a 5th year.

At another job, I took an assignment for 3 days. Two weeks later, the staffing agency had me interview for a perm position with the company in a different dept. I worked their 4 years, too. Contract status means little.

Some people have been in a 6-month assignment for 3 years. The contracts get extended again every 6 months, when the client still needs the contractor.

This is not a temp agency, it's a actual company interviewing for people for a full time job ending on 6/30.

Old 12-04-2012, 07:12 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,260,275 times
I have hired two people for such temporary positions recently, one ended last week. In both cases they got paid well over an agency rate, and full benefits. Both of them were able to use their experience with us toward getting full time permanent jobs elsewhere before they even left.

Old 12-04-2012, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I have hired two people for such temporary positions recently, one ended last week. In both cases they got paid well over an agency rate, and full benefits. Both of them were able to use their experience with us toward getting full time permanent jobs elsewhere before they even left.

Full benefits and the job ends in 6 months?

Old 12-04-2012, 07:46 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,749,281 times
It's ok if companies and not temp agencies hire you for a temp job at their company, because if things get messed up a temp agency can blacklist you for future jobs. And if that temp agency controls a lot of jobs in your area your SOL.

Old 12-04-2012, 07:55 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,427,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
The Job is full-time but it only last for 6 months and will end on June 30th?

Why would someone want to put themselves in a situation like that only to be seeking employment in 180 days? Basically this company is being upfront about wanting to use someone for half of year and then have that person looking for work again in July of 2013. Shouldn't this employer just hire through a agency instead of asking for unemployed people to apply to a position with a end date? That way the agency can just notify the applicant after 6 months and say they don't need your services anymore. This is honestly the dumbest job posting I have seen in the entire of 2012.

Just taking advantage of so many people who need employment which is ridiculous
I'm guessing this employer wants to be very choosy as they can be right now and has this time frame posted because it may imply that if you do not work out as a candidate hired, they will easily move on to someone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment