Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 04:31 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times

Advertisements

I have been put on an action plan, first time in my life. Yes I am definitely in over my head. I have been trying to get up to speed, using all the resources I can. Finally when I am getting back on my feet. I have probably less than two weeks left before I get canned.

I am networking, sending out resumes, doing everything I can. I really don't think I have ever been so scared in my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2011, 04:40 PM

352 posts, read 1,004,559 times
What is an action plan for your company?

An action plan at several companies in the area, means that an employee has some need for extra assistance and direction and that the company develops an action plan for that assistance. If the company bothered to make an action plan for you; they might want to try to keep you in the company for much longer than less than two weeks...; but it also depends what an action plan means for your company.

Old 11-24-2011, 06:17 PM

I had to actually write my own action plan which I thought was strange. The biggest thing is my accuracy with work. I will send out an email and it isn't their 'way'. (very corporate) which I am not used to. So it is considered wrong.

Honestly have really put forth a great effort in changing, but they gave me 30 days. I made one mistake in an email and was 'written' up for not being clear.

Each and everything I do is picked apart. It has me terrified of doing any part of my job I will get fired. So basically they are pushing me out.

Old 11-24-2011, 06:38 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
It seems odd that you would be asked to write your own action plan and I'm having a hard time understanding your point although it's obvious that you're writing under rather extreme stress. Were you written up just once for an email which was deemed "unclear" or have you been written up more than once either on this issue or others? How long have you worked for this company, is this your first job, how old are you?

Sometimes posters with work problems give too much information and much of it isn't relevant but you've gone to the other extreme here and given way too little information to enable anyone to offer you advice. You say you're terrified to work because you fear that everything you do will be picked apart and seem to have accepted that your employer is pushing you out which is basically going to be a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Have you sat down with your employer to find out what you can do to improve your performance? Have you asked for help from your coworkers or management?

Way too little information to offer much at all. Sorry!

Old 11-24-2011, 10:57 PM

458 posts, read 1,272,045 times
Oh, honey, I'm so sorry! Sounds like you work for some real "pieces of work". Y'know whether you lose your job or not do you REALLY want to continue there? I recently lost a job where every morning I walked in and just had this forboding feeling that my superior didn't like me. When it finally came to pass I was, of course, a bit scared and upset but ultimately SO glad to be rid of that place!!!!! Life's too short to work for jerks. Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
I had to actually write my own action plan which I thought was strange. The biggest thing is my accuracy with work. I will send out an email and it isn't their 'way'. (very corporate) which I am not used to. So it is considered wrong.

Honestly have really put forth a great effort in changing, but they gave me 30 days. I made one mistake in an email and was 'written' up for not being clear.

Each and everything I do is picked apart. It has me terrified of doing any part of my job I will get fired. So basically they are pushing me out.

Old 11-25-2011, 03:50 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Why not dig yourself out of the situation? Set up shop and compete with your employer. Steal their staff and clients.

Old 11-25-2011, 04:26 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,409,755 times
Thumbs up Also...

Take all this info straight to the unemployement office and have your checks ready to be cut. At least you'll be covered somewhat while you work things out. Best of luck. This is undoubtedly a major Blessing in Disguise for you. Be the bigger person, work it out to your own benefit.
Best of luck, Darlin'...
Koale

Old 11-25-2011, 08:32 AM

In my sate, I don't get unemployement from what I have read (I may be mistaken). I have only been with the company for 7 months. I am an experienced professional, this is not my first job. I have always shined and excelled at everything I do. Never have I been in this situation.

I have asked how to improve, for specifics, for examples. They had none. It is odd, not quite understanding where this is coming from. Absolutely there is room for me to improve. I have asked for help, but they still haven't come back to me with who could help me get to the level I need to be.

The thing is in two weeks I have made drastic improvements, doing things out of my job scope to help. But still nothing is good enough. Just mostly venting as I know they want me out, I am sending out resumes like crazy, but nothing is happening.

Old 11-25-2011, 08:43 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,184,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
............ So basically they are pushing me out.
I work for a company that due to a buy out is the very same way. It is as though they just pick people to point fingers at in order to take the pressure off of their own inadequate selves. I don't know that there IS an answer. You'll have to wait and see what happens. Just remember, if the job is causing you this much stress, it isn't worth having anyway.

I know that is easy to say in this economy, but you can't let a job steal all your joy and peace. You have to be true to yourself, confident in your own abilities and move on if needed.

Good luck to you. I sure am sorry you are going through this.

Old 11-25-2011, 09:45 AM

4,796 posts, read 22,906,689 times
Don't assume you won't get unemployment benefits. If you are let go, definitely apply. Sometimes employers use 'action plans' as a basis to make people ineligible for unemployment. However, I think that you have a good case against this. They made you write your own plan, which means they didn't tell you what you were doing wrong, you had to guess. And it seems that they are criticizing you for a wide range of vague things which may or may not be in the plan, and which are very subjective (clarity or tone of an email for example). And you have asked for resources which have not been provided. So if you are let go I think you can make a good case that you should be eligible--ineligibility is generally reserved for situations when a person knew what they were doing was wrong and had an opportunity to do the right thing. And you certainly have nothing to lose by trying to get benefits.

As for what to do to keep the job, one thing I would suggest is that you reconsider doing things out of your scope to help. At this point, you need to focus on doing your job right, and not taking on more responsibility. Beyond that I think you are doing the right thing by being proactive in the job search. For whatever reason it sounds like they don't want you there, so even if you survive the action plan period, you are better off finding a position elsewhere.

Last edited by kodaka; 11-25-2011 at 09:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment