Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 06:03 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,225,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetheduns View Post

In my MBA class I heard a guy say the reason why he never takes a three week vacation is because if your employer figures out how to make do without you for three weeks then he can deal without you forever.

This is excellent and those that think they can take long term leaves and still keep their jobs, need to read your post again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 06:06 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,225,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Don't listen to all of the negativity. He might say yes. He might not.

Even if he says no, he might be thrilled to hear from you when you return to the states.

The best you can do is ask with plenty of notice, but not too much notice, and leave on good terms.

You're going anyways. Find peace with it.
It has nothing to do with negativity. It's about running an efficient business. That's not efficient nor is it a reasonable request.

Old 01-16-2012, 06:43 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,721,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetheduns View Post
I thought so too Sean. I overheard it while we were in line taking our "professional" photos.

I would not expect even a large employer to hold onto a job for anyone for a personal leave of absence for longer than a few months. It is really unfair to the company, to the coworkers, and especially to the employee who would be "backing or covering" for the other during the duration.

Let's be real, doing a new job for a year is NOT covering a position. It is DOING the position.

With that said, I would not miss the opportunity to live overseas for a year. Especially if one can afford the loss of salary from the other partner.

It is doing the position, and as you said it is unfair to the coworkers. Imagine working in an office and someone leaves and you see your chance to move up the ladder, only to be told "sorry this is temporary for a year", it's bad for moral.

And no one is being negative, I said in my first post that there is no harm in asking. But don't expect to hear the answer you want to hear.

The OP needs to look at the situation from the employer's POV and her coworkers...and not just hers.

Would she like to do someone elses job for a year and then get demoted? Doubtful.

Go enjoy this experience and if there is a positon available when you get back in that office then ask to be taken back.

If not, apply elsewhere.

Old 01-16-2012, 07:01 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,581,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Don't listen to all of the negativity. He might say yes. He might not.

Even if he says no, he might be thrilled to hear from you when you return to the states.

The best you can do is ask with plenty of notice, but not too much notice, and leave on good terms.

You're going anyways. Find peace with it.

Thank you Hopes for your kindness. I am sort of sorry I even brought up the subject here, as there is alot of negativity. People here can be down right rude about making "their" point! This is only a forum! There are alot of other dynamics at play in our office. What people here do not understand is that the office that I work in, is more of a family atmosphere. I have been there with his kids growing up, he has been around my kids growing up. When he hit a hard spot in his career, the other employees bailed on him and I stayed. I literally take care of everything in the office. I am very grounded and well respected in our community and he knows that.

Who knows what will happen! I will definitely be soul searching.

Old 01-16-2012, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
It has nothing to do with negativity. It's about running an efficient business. That's not efficient nor is it a reasonable request.
Ron, what kind of an office or business do you run?

Old 01-16-2012, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
It is doing the position, and as you said it is unfair to the coworkers. Imagine working in an office and someone leaves and you see your chance to move up the ladder, only to be told "sorry this is temporary for a year", it's bad for moral.

And no one is being negative, I said in my first post that there is no harm in asking. But don't expect to hear the answer you want to hear.

The OP needs to look at the situation from the employer's POV and her coworkers...and not just hers.

Would she like to do someone elses job for a year and then get demoted? Doubtful.

Go enjoy this experience and if there is a positon available when you get back in that office then ask to be taken back.

If not, apply elsewhere.
The person in our office realizes that it's only temporary and does not have a problem with that! She plans on getting married and having a child in another year and at some point furthering her career. This is a small office where we cover for each other from time to time...

Old 01-16-2012, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_gator View Post
I don't see them holding your job no matter how well they like you or your husband. As someone else pointed out, they might learn to like the young inexperience girl in a year and can probably get her to work for much less money. I would say you would be expecting a lot to leave and come back to same job same pay after a year.

However, that being said, my job got me into a lot of medical offices and there is an extremely high turnover of office staff in the field, so if you have a good reference I can't see a problem getting a job in another office. You will have to decide if it is worth losing a job you would probably retire from by the sounds of things to speand a year abroad, or stay in the job and take some nice vacations to visit hubby.
No, she will end up costing him more money in the long run! She needs insurance benefits and I don't, she will want more money and I haven't taken a raise in 10 years, ironically...I bartered for more time off.

And in my community, you don't see much of a high turnover anymore in the offices. People are happy and staying put.

Old 01-16-2012, 07:55 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,963,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarragon View Post
No, she will end up costing him more money in the long run! She needs insurance benefits and I don't, she will want more money and I haven't taken a raise in 10 years, ironically...I bartered for more time off.

And in my community, you don't see much of a high turnover anymore in the offices. People are happy and staying put.
Sounds like you know this boss will not mind you leaving for a year and will most assuredly rehire you. From everything you posted, I'm not sure why you even need our reassurance and didn't let him know already - you know, to give him the courtesy of the most 'heads up' time you can. He sounds like a great boss and it sounds like you have ideal co-workers. If you wait a few more weeks to tell them, they may feel that you are not putting forth the same courtesy they offer to you again and again.

Tell him tomorrow. Maybe he'll offer you some additional time off to prepare for your time away.

Old 01-16-2012, 08:09 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,316,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarragon View Post
I have worked at my current job as a manager in a medical office for nearly 20 yrs. My husband is in the military and is being sent on temporary job overseas for one yr. Our young son and I will join him over there. I want to take a one year leave from my current job. I realize that I am not the military person and therefore, my employer doesn't have to allow me the leave. Has anyone here ever been in a situation like this? It's such a great opportunity for us as I have never been outside the U.S except Canada!
Well, if you take a leave for that length of time, in todays job market, it may be detrimental to your job. However, if you have 20 years experience, and have a chance to be w/ your husband for a once in a life time living experience, go for it. You can always get a position over there, and keep your resume updated and keep your eyes open for another position later in US. My daughter is a military wife, from what I know there is always a chance your hubby could be transferred anyway. What if you don't go, and he gets transferred next year. You'll wish you'd gone. Do what matters most to you and you hubby. That's my opinion

Old 03-05-2012, 03:42 PM

Well...update time since I started this thread! I finally mentioned to my boss and he said, "What a wonderful opportunity for you and your family." He said he would allow me to come back to my same job as long as I was back in one year. The person that would be helping do my job has told him she is fine with it as long as she can definitely have her job back! As it turns out, she is getting married this summer and will be trying to work on a family soon, so I would be returning to help her out as well! So we will hire some temporary help. I've been incredibly loyal to him for all of these years, he recognizes it. I know there have been alot of opinions regarding this, but this isn't some large company, it's a small office, small community. I have an incredible boss!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment