Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 08:18 AM

1,615 posts, read 2,574,559 times

Advertisements

i'm a sensitive empathic guy. i have issues with confrontation but i've thought about being a prison guard.

I think that maybe the prisoners would react well to someone who is nice and treats them with respect and isn't demeaning or rude.

do you think this would be a good idea?

i'm in good shape physically but i'm the opposite of intimidating.

Is it necessary to be domineering and intimidating to be a prison guard?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2012, 08:21 AM

56 posts, read 163,061 times
I think being timid is the opposite of what makes a good prison guard. Everyone acts well to empathy, but I doubt you'd make it.

Keep in mind, I'm basing my judgement off of television and movies, so who knows.

Old 02-19-2012, 09:13 AM

60 posts, read 166,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
I think that maybe the prisoners would react well to someone who is nice and treats them with respect and isn't demeaning or rude.
Those assumptions don't work well when you are dealing with mentally unstable individuals, as are so many prisoners.

Old 02-19-2012, 11:04 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,019,531 times
It might make you less timid. You will likely become desensitized. The question is do you want to become less sensitive and less timid? For example, people who work with death (medical profession, religion, funerals, etc.) joke about death. The first funeral, you're crying about an elderly man losing his wife, not knowing how he can go on without her. In time, you're hangning up the phone saying, "Another one bit the dust." I wouldn't want to become that callous, but it's a good mindset for some people. If this is what you really want to do with your life, the prison system could benefit from having someone like you. You'll learn to overcome your issues with confrontation. It's a skill you will be taught. And there's nothing wrong with challenging yourself.

Old 02-19-2012, 11:10 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,027,915 times
They'd eat you alive.

Old 02-19-2012, 11:58 AM

795 posts, read 1,268,178 times
Quote:
i'm a sensitive empathic guy. i have issues with confrontation but i've thought about being a prison guard.

It could be that you put on that uniform, flip a switch, and become a real killer. Heck, you might even shank one of the inmates; no one would ever suspect you!

All jokes aside, my dad was very much like you. He worked as a guard. They gave him respect because he gave them respect. He eventually worked as the "boss" of many inmates and they reported to him (inmates work "state" jobs...).

My dad never had trouble... some of those guys could have kicked his butt at any moment.

Most important, it depends on where you are going...

Don't be too nice... end up with your pants down in a cell. lol

Old 02-19-2012, 12:01 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,316,695 times
Quote:

Nope, it would be like being put in a room full of wolves with pork chop underwear on

Old 02-19-2012, 12:26 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,127,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Nope, it would be like being put in a room full of wolves with pork chop underwear on
Said just right. Now 2 who retired from this profession. You are surrounded by anger and aggression, And you will see some very unsettling things there. It is not an easy job at all. This one guy told me many stories from his time there. And one was enough to make me almost lose my lunch. I am not going to repeat it though.

Old 02-19-2012, 12:32 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,843,181 times
Quote:

Old 02-19-2012, 12:36 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,738,680 times
Most certainly not. Those inmates will eat you alive.

Did you ever see the movie Wrong Turn 3?

Yeah, that's how well it goes with a sensitive and timid guy working as a prison guard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment