Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 08:25 PM

349 posts, read 887,994 times

Advertisements

I posted some time ago (December, I believe) about my work situation and what I had done is report the very, very small place I'm at because the owner allowed an unlicensed staffer (his "pet") to work on insurance clients, which is dangerous and illegal. My job is to make sure they operate legally and after attempts at asking nicely, I felt I had to, because she was giving bad advice, and those clients were running into problems; and those problems end up always on my desk. Enough.

I didn't get fired, because that would be considered retaliatory. Instead, they have iced me out, denied me a christmas bonus (everyone else got one), left me out of the loop on the negotiations to sell the agency. The Pet and I haven't spoken since October. Everyone is on eggshells when she is around, because she spends all of her time working the owner over - they have breakfast every morning and both go in on Saturday.

She is on the same level as me, so has no authority over me, but the owner finds her to be his confidant, advisor, nurse-maid and workwife. I do very good work and I have just maintained my work ethics, because at the end of the day, it is about the client, so no wrongdoing or slacking on my part.

It is a four-person office, and as you can imagine, it is very uncomfortable. I have been singled out and day after day, I hear from the owner's son and another person what is said about me, and none of it is good.

Because the sale was pending, I was waiting patiently for things to settle, having been told - not by the owner, but by rumor from other staff - that March 6th I would know more.

Never happened, and now I find it will be another 30 days but in the meantime, they took the Pet and sent her to a trade show which I was to go to, because that is my book of accounts. This was all hush-hush; again, only found out by the owner's son, who can't keep a secret.

Then I found out, also by the owner's son, that he was to stay if I stayed late, because the owner's wife doesn't trust me (I have keys to the office, so that is not really making sense to me, but nothing does).

The accountant, when I told her a solution to an invoicing problem, rather than just say "Oh, OK" said, "If you don't like the way things are done, maybe this isn't the right place for you". She has no business saying that to me, but I have been going through this for nearly 9 months now.

Monday, they scheduled the office without enough people, never bothered to tell me that I would be there alone (creating undue stress - we have a temp that easily would have come in). I have epilepsy which, due to the stress, has made me go on new medication; I have been very open with them that I cannot be in the office alone during the workday, with no one to help with the phones and clients (that kind of stress can trigger a seizure and they know this).

It is obviously more detailed than this, but I took all of my personal items and left the keys and I told the owner that the workplace is abusive and I will work from home, if that is an option or we can let an attorney decide if I was forced to quit or not, since you let your employees create an abusive and hostile environment, where it is clear I am unwelcome.

I also was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis in October when me and the Pet had our big blowout; that was also when my epilepsy broke through, after many years of no problems (and yes, I did have stress during those years - moved, started the job, broke up with a man).

Believe me, I tried so hard, I did; but they are just constantly at me with things to make me stress out because of course, they think they would like me gone.

How would you proceed? I am waiting for return calls from employment attorneys and I know I ought to have done that months ago. The problem seemed to be manageable for at least the past 6 weeks because another guy left and said he would open his own agency and I would have a job there, but now he is gone from working there, so no buffer between me and them - I can't face them anymore.

I have references from business we worked with and clients (some are my FB friends, even) and even before this accelerated icing out, I would never have used anyone there as a reference.

All are old enough to know better but they are a dysfunctional bunch, and this has been there only place of employment for years; the Pet has only been there a year longer than me, but she is a sneaky one, and got her way in with the owner, who is barely able to function due to his own health issues.

I had to walk and I am concerned about the money, but far more deeply concerned that I will end up dying from stress, due to how this affects epilepsy. Please keep in mind that I can handle work stress, but not this sort of endless-hatred-drama-gossip-behind-my-back stress.

Serious replies only - I have never done this before and smart-alecky comments would not be appreciated right now. Thank you for the time, CD'ers. Tough times...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 08:32 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,846,475 times
Congrats!!!!

Old 03-13-2012, 08:34 PM

446 posts, read 997,650 times
I've done this twice in the last month. Most people would call me stupid, but I have never been happier! Where I go from here, i don't know. I do know that in the meantime, trips, dinners, movies, shopping etc has to.come to a halt. Why don't you try something painless and easy in the meantime - work in a deli, a nanny or petsitter, coffee shop, a small retail outlet. Not a career job, but something stress-free to pay the bills until you can find a perfect match.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:58 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,846,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deecbee View Post
something stress-free to pay the bills until you can find a perfect match.
Unfortunately stress free jobs usually can't pay the bills.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:15 PM

Default Bills are low

I can get by on very little and I have my list of places to call tomorrow where I can cut costs (cable, etc.)

My personal situation is not complicated - my landlord will work with me for a certain amount of time; he's nice and reasonable.

I've never felt this way before, in the sense that I physically can't go in again; just can't. So, just accept what's next and move one, then.

Just maybe looking for anyone who has done this - of course, I'll survive; made bigger decisions for completely stupid reasons (cross country moves for relationships...not once, but twice!)

Old 03-13-2012, 09:44 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
My girlfriend quit her job due to stress and got unemployment. She had documented proof, doctor's records, etc. You do too. While you are in the process of getting a lawyer to sue them, still go to unemployment and file a claim. My girlfriend was able to go through unemployment appeals without a lawyer.

btw, since I have a relative with epilepsy, I'm fully aware of how stress can impact ones health. You've worked years at other companies without stress impacting you so negatively, so you know there are employers out there who are a better match for you. Good luck in your search.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:59 PM

Default Thanks, Hopes

It's an uncomfortable place to be, when the circumstances are atypical and you know you can't go back; it's unfixable.

I've not had work-related stress until this place; it's well-documented by past employees as well.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:04 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,153,827 times
Why did you stay so long? Have you been looking for another job the whole time?

Old 03-13-2012, 10:08 PM

417 posts, read 825,203 times
Someone outside of my family, a friend, was injured and later discovered stress was playing a large role in the determent of her health. From that point on her willingness to return to that particular job was minimal. Whether she will or not time will only tell. The point is that a work environment as toxic as you're describing (to the point it's literally aggravating a condition that was manageable for years), doesn't seem like a position one should keep. The pitfalls and fears of being unemployed in the future or having nothing o lean on are serious concerns. Worrying about how you’re going to eat, etc, is really stressing. Nonetheless, I think one's health must come first at some point. I'm not saying anything with stress should be avoided or anything. That's probably impossible. But working to the point you're being killed by your job when you're not even in the army.... why? You sound skilled, experienced, etc in your field. Your claim sounds justifiable. I don’t get it. To hell with those ****!

Old 03-13-2012, 10:24 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,645,499 times
You should have talked to your doctor first and see if he/she would have agreed to let you go on disability. It would have been better to go the medical route before discussing attourneys.

A short term disability would have shown that your health issues were aggravated by the work environment.

Understand it was stressful, but so is having to worry about your rent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment