Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 03:16 PM

1,480 posts, read 2,795,858 times

Advertisements

Ever just decide one day that the job you were doing, your boss or employer was just so terrible that you could not spend another minute there and just left without telling anyone?

If so, tell us about it!

Old 01-26-2014, 03:33 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,500,676 times
Close to that. An employer ticked me off (worse than ever before) after 8 yrs with them, by letting go the awesome part-time custodial 'crew' (of 3) we had in order to hire the husband of lady in accounting full time, and above my pay rate. I was asst. operations manager of a small amusement park.

I went and gave my cash room keys to the GM and said that, I'll let you know tomorrow if I want them back or not - and walked out. (I didn't want them to think I had access to their cash when I was so upset.)

LOL -- The GM showed the keys to the receptionist and asked, what are these? (He should have known, but he was a marketing/PR guy.) Her eyes got big as saucers as she told him. LOL - then I came home carrying a 6-pack, and hubbin's eyes got big as saucers too!!

Next day I quit.

They ended up 'retaining' me for a short time to complete a project (you don't have to answer phones or help with anything else). Then, I ended up joining the temp pool at a university, where I work in the same dept as my original assignment, now 19 years later.

Old 01-26-2014, 03:42 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,255,806 times
I think lots of people dream of doing it, but never do. It happened once at a company where I worked. The IT guy just left and called in later to quit. Nobody ever understood why (he had only worked there for a few months, but it really seemed weird).

Old 01-26-2014, 03:50 PM

1,485 posts, read 954,138 times
About 14 years ago. Landed a job at Hardees for minimum wage. They had me training on register and when there were no customers I had to go in back and wash utensils and pans. I could not see when a customer approaches the register when in back. The manager would call me in an angry tone when someone walked in. I lasted less than 2 days. Didn't even bother picking up the check.

Old 01-26-2014, 03:55 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,212,867 times
Yep, once this year. At a shopko, after four hours. I was lied to about starting wage and department to start in, so went to the break room dropped their shirt and name tag on the table and out in 3 minutes. I have a 0 tolerance for corporate bull****.
I didn't receive a check for those four hours either, but don't care.

Old 01-26-2014, 04:27 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,658,967 times
My Wife and I move around a lot and while she is in education, she can always get a 'real' job. In my career, I don't have much luck. In some states, states with service based economies, I worked some KRAZY jobs from Craigslist or a temp agency. In Florida, I walked off of almost all of the ones I had. Its just a different environment there than in the North East where I had real, great jobs. Employers treat their help like trash. I'm a very tolerant, laid back person, but each one crossed the line somehow. Yelling at me unnecessarily in a drunken, hangover state (Sign shop), expecting me drive deep into Crips/Bloods territory in Miami late at night for a delivery with no previous warning(Print shop), and another race car shop just had an air of craziness and negativity that was just bad for my mental health for an extended period. Just had enough, turned and walked out of them. A SEARS at a mall hired me on the spot to work on cars. I accepted, but at home, read the terms more closely, which made it virtually impossible to make even 100.00 a week after the commission term started, so I called and declined before even reporting the first day.

Old 01-26-2014, 04:59 PM

41,953 posts, read 75,167,069 times
I entertained the fantasy once or twice, but then kept remembering the mortgage was due.

Old 01-26-2014, 05:13 PM

26 posts, read 126,778 times
Yeah. When I was really young, like 18 or 19. I had the day off and went shopping with my mom. However, when I got home, but dad said my boss had called pretty upset since I was suppose to work that day. I knew that wasn't true so I went into work, looked at the schedule, asked when he changed it and then told him he was SOL. He changed it like the day before and expected me to just *know*. It pissed me off and I walked back out and went home, never went back.

Another time I was working at Subway and this horrid woman came in and ordered a sandwich. I already hated it there and was having a bad day, so when she stopped me like four times and was like, "My daughter works for Subway, I *know* that isn't the right amount." I threw my hat at her and told her to finish the damn sandwich herself and walked out.

These were both when I was young and stupid, I wouldn't do it now LOL. But eh, live and learn.

Old 01-26-2014, 05:13 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,127,316 times
Yes, once I was working for almost a week at a car dealership as a receptionist. The woman who was training me was out to get me from day one and make my life miserable. So about lunchtime, I quit and got paid out of the petty cash fund. I did not need that aggravation.

Old 01-26-2014, 06:08 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,375,696 times
Actually, I timed my own firing down to almost the hour.
It was then that I realized just how good I was.....at firing myself....when no one else had the guts to do it!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.