Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 06:18 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,752,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I entertained the fantasy once or twice, but then kept remembering the mortgage was due.
I use to feel this way some days on my first professional gig out of college. I have since embroiled the phrase "bills wont pay themselves" into my head, it's no longer even a fantasy option in my brain anymore.

Old 01-26-2014, 06:25 PM

8,086 posts, read 10,107,307 times
Woman I worked with felt that her bonus was not up to snuff (professional situation). She had a long conversation with the boss (who was a real tool), and appeared to have calmed down.

A day or two later she goes in to see the boss and basically tells him he is an a$$hole, that her compensation stank, and that she was out of there.

Lots of applause from the others in the group.

The woman never worked another day in our industry despite heroic attempts to find a job.

Old 01-26-2014, 06:26 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,297,615 times
Yes but next time ill just show up and do nothing or very little until they fire me.

Old 01-26-2014, 06:39 PM

836 posts, read 1,665,020 times
16 years old washing dishes and busing tables at a steakhouse for 6 months with promises of going to broiler chef school to become cook.
They had recently gotten first salad bar in the valley and we were Crazy busy.

I walked out putting them in quite a pickle.

Was immature and unprofessional but still pretty funny

Old 01-26-2014, 06:48 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,757,146 times
I worked for a micro-manager a few years ago, and could no longer take it, I had been getting recruited by the district manager at another organization and agreed to meet the regional manager for lunch on Monday. Tuesday afternoon the district manager called me to let me know that the conditional offer for a management position was being sent for the terms I told them it would take, so I immediately packed up my desk, left the office keys with another loan officer as the manager was out at a meeting, then I walked out. The funniest part is the manager called me the next day to suspend me with my base pay for leaving work early and tell me to take the rest of the week off, so I told the other loan officer to hold onto my keys till the next Monday and collected my pay through the end of the week, even though I had meant to quit.

Old 01-26-2014, 06:53 PM

2,802 posts, read 3,196,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
Ever just decide one day that the job you were doing, your boss or employer was just so terrible that you could not spend another minute there and just left without telling anyone?

If so, tell us about it!
Yes, I once did walk out from a job. After dealing with the new store owner's incompetence, their drug addicted gang banger nephew, always being told that I had to be politically correct as a member of leadership, and never being backed up by the very people above me on the totem pole, I walked out and never looked back. The people I led also followed soon after they found out I had quit. The amount of stress that had built up over a course of 8 months had become nearly unbearable. I'm glad I strutted on out of there.

Old 01-26-2014, 07:05 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,393,740 times
My absolute all time favorite story is the parking lot attendant at a zoo in England who never missed a day of work in 25 years. He showed up like clockwork, was pleasant and always very courteous. One day he missed work and the zoo realized they didn't know his name, where he lived, or his phone number. So they called the City Council to find out if they knew anything, and had they had heard he walked off his job with no notice?

The council said the parking lot wasn't theirs and the man must have been the zoo's employee. The zoo claimed the man was employed by the city. Both discovered he had never been on either payroll.

Apparently this guy just showed up one day, set up his own ticket machine, posted signs, and began collecting between the equivalent of $1 and $2 a day from cars. The London Times originally reported on it and estimated that at an average of $560 a day for 25 years, this guy had collected in excess of $7 million!!

Now THAT's walking off your job! LOL
What an entrepreneur! And what a testament to the mess that bureaucracies make when one hand doesn't know what the other is doing. Here's my guess -- The guy probably needed a job, may have tried to apply at either or both agencies and realized they didn't know what was going on. So he got creative. Hah!

Old 01-26-2014, 07:31 PM

1,428 posts, read 1,410,553 times
This was one of my first jobs out of college, about 20 some-odd years ago.
I was an accounting clerk/receptionist. At the end of every day, I had to prepare the mailings and drop them off at the post office. I was at the front desk and the guy who owned the business comes running up to the desk and starts yelling at me about some important papers that I was supposed to have fedexed overnight the day prior. The recipients didn't receive them that day because I didn't fedex them because I had no clue what he was talking about. He pulls the file folder, lifts up a stack of papers to reveal a post it note that says "important...fedex..." The post it wasn't even sticking out from beneath the papers, or visible in any kind of way, but somehow I was supposed to know that note was there to fedex the papers.
It was a small office so he's yelling at me, folks are looking, some were trying to calm him down. I don't remember exactly all that was said but I do remember him calling me stupid. My supervisor even admitted that the note was hidden and she should have told me, of course after the whole scene went down and out of his earshot.
I got up the next morning with the intentions of going to work; however, I passed that exit and went on to IHOP for breakfast and decided I was not going back. I didn't call to let them know, but my supervisor had the nerve to call me to find out where I was. Really??? I'm surprised she even had to ask after what took place the prior day.
I was only there for about 2 or 3 months so I didn't even bother putting the job on my resume. And I don't regret leaving the way I did. I wouldn't do that now of course.

Old 01-26-2014, 08:44 PM

64 posts, read 116,516 times
Haha, yes. I worked a retail job and had lunch with my husband. I didn't like the job that much and was complaining about not getting Black Friday off. He encouraged me to quit. I never went back to work after lunch. I still feel a little bad..

Old 01-26-2014, 08:57 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,999,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Woman I worked with felt that her bonus was not up to snuff (professional situation). She had a long conversation with the boss (who was a real tool), and appeared to have calmed down.

A day or two later she goes in to see the boss and basically tells him he is an a$$hole, that her compensation stank, and that she was out of there.

Lots of applause from the others in the group.

The woman never worked another day in our industry despite heroic attempts to find a job.
Not surprising, and I'm sure those applauding did not form over money to pay her bills, due to her self-inflicted wound.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment