Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 10:59 PM

821 posts, read 1,101,948 times

Advertisements

Yeah, when I was 18 years old at an A&P store here in Queens, NY. I got so fed up one night I just left, which was not right considering the other stock boy had to unload the truck himself that night.

Old 02-03-2014, 01:58 AM

728 posts, read 1,902,714 times
More than once did I quit a job in a most memorable fashion but the best one was probably the last job I quit back in 2008.

I worked at a call center for a major wireless carrier. These people were absolutely ruthless when it came to attendance and there were literally no specified rules or policies for their attendance policy. You could call in sick once and get fired or you could call in sick a hundred times and get fired. It all depended on who your manager was and how much they liked you or not.

Anyway so I'm at home and I woke up with god awful pains in my stomach. The kind of dizzy nausea that literally keeps you in a fetal position on the ground. I'm not one to ever call in sick unless I absolutely am on my death bed and I it certainly felt this way this time. I tried to call in and tell them I was way too sick to come in and once again I was given the speech about how my position couldn't be guaranteed if I chose not to come in. Pretty much a veiled threat that I would be fired if I didn't come in.

Despite the terrible way I felt I went in. Coworkers who saw me immediately knew I was not well. I was pale, sweating profusely and walking in a couched slump. I made it to my desk, directly in from of my manager and he could plainly see I was not well. He looked the other way and pretended not to notice. I started taking calls and would often have to place the customer on hold so that I could vomit into my trash can. After a while the manager had the balls to remind me that my "hold time" was a little high today I just about lost it. He left to go on his break and I walked over to his desk and simply exploded all over his desk. It was mostly bile and liquid since I had already puked everything earlier but it covered everything in site.

I gathered up my things and left. Never have I worked for such a heartless company before and never will again.

Old 02-03-2014, 05:05 AM

973 posts, read 1,455,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
Yea, I was supposed to be a counselor for a geriatric behavioral unit in a hospital wing. Problem was the wing was under construction, no other employees, no clients, nothing.

I'd been there 3 weeks and nothing was happening to go forward with the construction or the program.

I was sitting around amid the lumber and drywall one day when a group of ''suits'' from the corporate office came through to celebrate ''the grand opening''. What?! It was quite comical yet very weird.

After they left I walked to my car, got in, drove home, and never returned.

No one called me the next day and I never called them. I just didn't care.

It was almost like none of it was real. Kinda ''Twilight Zoney''.
What state do you live in and did you ever get paid for your "work"? I live in NJ and I could imagine this sort of racket going on.

Old 02-03-2014, 08:45 AM

85 posts, read 151,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
Ever just decide one day that the job you were doing, your boss or employer was just so terrible that you could not spend another minute there and just left without telling anyone?

If so, tell us about it!
Absolutely I have, and it was one of the best feelings I've ever had.

I worked for a company where after 18 months, things were going south. While the economy was partly to blame, the main issue was really the companies unwillingness to make necessary internal changes to be successful.

They then compounded this by hiring "an expert" to supervise our sales attempts. The "expert" was humble during the interview process, then once hired as my boss turned into a real unreasonable ball buster. The owner of the company had great respect for me and told me if I ever had an issue that I should go to him directly. Obviously, this wasn't something to take lightly, as it would technically mean going above my boss' head.

While I wasn't at odds with my boss, I felt there were some things that needed to change in our corporate culture that required the owner's intervention. Not just for myself, but the engineering team and inside team as well. My immediate boss liked to drink, and when he did so, he generally turned into a real a$$. Making snide comments - asinine comments really about job performance and so forth even when unsubstantiated, even treated his wife badly, etc. In short, the guy was a real bully that obviously I couldn't just punch out. Not that I wouldn't have wanted too, or he did not deserve it, but in a work environment we all know what that would get you.

So I go to the owner, explain the situation and say to him, you may want to ask the new boss to ease off the gas a little. He's peeing in a lot of cornflakes. After confiding in the owner, at his direction, the owner goes to my boss and says "employee Older" just called you out, and proceeds to tell this guy in detail the conversation we had together. Wow. Talk about a can of worms.

Fortunately, I had already been looking for an employer already, and the day I was supposed to arrive to train about half our external sales team, I never got on the plane. Best feeling ever. Jerks like that don't deserve good employees. I'm glad I left that one high and dry.

Old 02-03-2014, 06:06 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,360,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
I think that's how Erin Brochovich got hired at the law firm. Might be worth a try.
That is also how Steven Spielberg got his job... found an empty office in the studio lot & just set up shop... & Calvin Klein did the same in NYC... found an empty floor in a garment district bldg, moved in & began ordering fabric. Ambitious lot... of squatters. I wanna be a squatter in a potato chip factory...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment