Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 09:13 AM

3,175 posts, read 3,663,951 times

Advertisements

I did it once but I sure had my say before walking out and it really felt good until I got in my car and realized I had no job and very little money but it sure did feel good while I was doing it. Got another job the next day though so it was worth it.

Old 01-28-2014, 11:30 AM

1,515 posts, read 2,281,014 times
I've decided on the spot that I was quitting but I did give them 3 months notice to fill the vacancy. After the military, I worked for a large company for 3 years. I had been toying with the idea of resigning to stay home with the kids but nothing had convinced me to do so. After a run in with one of the senior executive types who really didn't care for me for some reason, I told my boss that I was resigning. So glad I did.

Walking off...suppose if I had job that was very, very temporary (Craigslist for example), wouldn't hesitate. A longer term one, especially if you need references later and want to preserve your reputation, I would try to do it gracefully if at all possible.

Old 01-28-2014, 12:09 PM

313 posts, read 498,456 times
I saw 4 people do this in a span of 6 months at the office I just got laid off from. It was incredible, I've NEVER seen anyone walk off a job like this (not even when I worked at a grocery store chain in college)

This was a "good" job for most of the employees, but the management and bosses were so horrendous they would actually encourage people to leave, especially if they had been there for a year or longer so they wouldn't have to pay health insurance of 401K or raises etc...

They'd make work so unbearable people would be sick to their stomachs and simply never come in.

Old 01-28-2014, 12:52 PM

35 posts, read 86,227 times
Kind of. About 4 yrs ago, I was working as a shipping/receiving clerk. I worked from 4-10. The girl who went in before me worked 7-3. Well she got pregnant after years of trying and the dr ordered her to quit her job and be on bed rest. She told me one day and the next day she was out. My supervisor just threw me to the wolves. Her shift was totally different than my shift. She didn’t train me at all. I had a little help here and there from the guys who work in the warehouse but they cant do everything for me. Finally, she came in asking for some paperwork. I said I didn’t know where it was. She said” My goodness why are you so stupid?! I have to do everything myself around here just because of your stupidity”(she didn’t see me crying! Lol). I was crying out of anger. I clocked out dropped my badge in her office. Text HER boss and told him things aren’t working out with (my supervisors name). I wont be going back.

That was the end of that. Two weeks later, I got another job (the one Im currently at). Better pay and awesome benefits.

Old 01-28-2014, 01:26 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,359,045 times
I am a horrible employee in general. I tend to say what's on my mind and I don't suffer fools well. I've quit dozens of jobs, some politely and some where I didn't let the door hit me in the backside. Longest I ever made it at one place was 2 years until I bought the real estate company.

Now on 9 years and pretty much loving it everyday. It's good to be the king.

Old 01-28-2014, 05:33 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,909,245 times
Yep. Went to lunch, spoke to my husband about the tipping point moment I had that morning, and I never went back except to put a resignation letter in the HR mailbox. (I'm a CYA type, and didn't want them trying to claim they fired me, but I never spoke to anyone.)

Old 01-30-2014, 05:13 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,584,507 times
Yea, I was supposed to be a counselor for a geriatric behavioral unit in a hospital wing. Problem was the wing was under construction, no other employees, no clients, nothing.

I'd been there 3 weeks and nothing was happening to go forward with the construction or the program.

I was sitting around amid the lumber and drywall one day when a group of ''suits'' from the corporate office came through to celebrate ''the grand opening''. What?! It was quite comical yet very weird.

After they left I walked to my car, got in, drove home, and never returned.

No one called me the next day and I never called them. I just didn't care.

It was almost like none of it was real. Kinda ''Twilight Zoney''.

Old 01-31-2014, 02:17 PM

1,023 posts, read 1,556,755 times
Interesting stories. I have never done this but I have sort of done the opposite: got fired from a job but quietly kept doing the job (and getting paid) for several weeks.

It was a telemarketing gig I found through a temp agency. I was also in community college at the time, juggling my class schedule with my work hours. The second time I went to the manager to talk about my schedule, she said she had had enough of me and I shouldn't come back the next day. Well, I really needed money, so I kept coming back, and the directive of this manager was apparently not communicated to my immediate supervisor who continued to sign my timecards.

A few weeks later I was in LA in the morning and needed to get to work by 1:00 (in Santa Barbara). However, this was an El Nino year and floods and mudslides had closed an entire highway, while narrowing the only other option from 6 lanes down to 2. As a result, the typical 1.5 hour drive took 6 hours and I got back 4 hours late for work. This was the pre-cellphone era so I hadn't called. I was too embarrassed to even show up that late. I got a call from my temp agency the next morning letting me know that I shouldn't go back there. For real this time.

Old 02-02-2014, 09:28 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,367,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentobox34 View Post
I went to the manager to talk about my schedule, she said she had had enough of me and I shouldn't come back the next day. Well, I really needed money, so I kept coming back, and the directive of this manager was apparently not communicated to my immediate supervisor who continued to sign my timecards.
This in ingenious. Tomorrow, I'm going to walk into Google, find an empty desk & just start working. If asked, I'll tell them Dave hired me, but sorry, I'm busy, can't stop to chat & can someone sign off on my time sheet. If Dave asks, I'll tell him Bill hired me. I'll bet a fish dinner if I can keep it going 'til Easter, come July 4th I'll have my own office... let Dave & Bill figure out how I got it so quickly.

Wish me luck...

Old 02-02-2014, 10:56 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,584,507 times
I think that's how Erin Brochovich got hired at the law firm. Might be worth a try.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment