Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2012, 11:11 AM

1 posts, read 2,467 times

Advertisements

Hello

I writing to get some feedback on what I think are some labor law violations at my workplace. I've worked for about 3 years and a small family owned pizza shop ( 6 total employee's) as a tipped employee making less than minimum wage. About 2 years ago my boss started paying me under the table by giving me most of my check in cash and the rest as a paycheck. I never really wanted to be paid under the table. I make so little money I get all my taxes back at the end of the year anyway. The only person this benefits is him. Recently the main cook there quit. Instead of hiring ad paying someone else to replace him, the owner decided to pass his responibilities onto the drivers who are making less than minimum wage. As a result I'm spending about 20 of the 30 hours a week I work doing prep work and cooking at less than minimum wage. Everytime I try to talk to him about this he blows me off or tells me to find a new job if I don't like it. The last time I tried talk to him about it he cut me weekly hours in half.

I know the department of labor would be interested in the fact I'm being paid under the table but would they be able to do anything about the other part? Would this be something that's worth pursuing? I know that I'll be fired as soon as I report this, but quite frankly I don't want to work for someone who uses these kind of shady business practices. Thank you for reading this and I look forward to your opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2012, 11:57 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,518,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by first or last View Post
Hello

I writing to get some feedback on what I think are some labor law violations at my workplace. I've worked for about 3 years and a small family owned pizza shop ( 6 total employee's) as a tipped employee making less than minimum wage. About 2 years ago my boss started paying me under the table by giving me most of my check in cash and the rest as a paycheck. I never really wanted to be paid under the table. I make so little money I get all my taxes back at the end of the year anyway. The only person this benefits is him. Recently the main cook there quit. Instead of hiring ad paying someone else to replace him, the owner decided to pass his responibilities onto the drivers who are making less than minimum wage. As a result I'm spending about 20 of the 30 hours a week I work doing prep work and cooking at less than minimum wage. Everytime I try to talk to him about this he blows me off or tells me to find a new job if I don't like it. The last time I tried talk to him about it he cut me weekly hours in half.

I know the department of labor would be interested in the fact I'm being paid under the table but would they be able to do anything about the other part? Would this be something that's worth pursuing? I know that I'll be fired as soon as I report this, but quite frankly I don't want to work for someone who uses these kind of shady business practices. Thank you for reading this and I look forward to your opinions.
Sounds like a real douchbag of a boss. I'd start looking for a new job *immediately*, and when you've landed a new job and are ready to start, just walk out of the old job - don't give him any warning or anything - just throw down your apron and walk out, preferably in the middle of peak serving hour - see how the man likes the taste of his own karma...LOL.

Old 04-06-2012, 06:57 PM

4,761 posts, read 14,284,410 times
I would suggest you consult with an attorney before you do anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment