Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 12:30 PM

2 posts, read 2,360 times

Advertisements

Help. I am at the end of my rope with my unemployed boyfriend. He only checks online for jobs wasting hrs. In front of the screen. After 4 months hes only gotten a call. He says he is doing all he can. Meanwhile im going nuts because he is stressed out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 12:35 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,234,013 times
It all depends on where is looking and what kind of job he is looking for. How else would you expect him to look?

Old 04-11-2012, 12:51 PM

155 posts, read 244,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
It all depends on where is looking and what kind of job he is looking for. How else would you expect him to look?
According to the experts on this forum you are supposed to bust into the office of the hiring manager of your local corporation and sing your own praises to them face to face until they either fall in love with you or they call security.

Old 04-11-2012, 01:19 PM

2,162 posts, read 3,370,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrsperrymills View Post
Help. I am at the end of my rope with my unemployed boyfriend. He only checks online for jobs wasting hrs. In front of the screen. After 4 months hes only gotten a call. He says he is doing all he can. Meanwhile im going nuts because he is stressed out.
Online searching is actually not doing all you can. It's pretty passive, actually! He needs to be dressing up and getting out there, visiting places he might consider good opportunities. I know times have changes with etiquette, but no one can ever say they are doing all they can if they don't get off the couch and put themselves out there.
Sounds like he is not really wanting to work.

Old 04-11-2012, 01:22 PM

831 posts, read 2,829,876 times
99% of jobs today are only posted online. The newspaper is empty or full of scams.
You may find a help wanted sign here or there but it's rare.

Please realize he is one of tens of millions who lost their jobs and can't find another.
Why are employed people so blind to the fact that it's realllllly bad out there. All the jobs are GONE!
Companies have closed in mass numbers and others have downsized drastically.
The rest of the jobs are in India and China.

He's doing all he can.

You should try to apply for (1) job online and see how much work goes into it.

First you have to scour sites and find something worth applying too. Most jobs aren't worth your time because the requirements are utterly ridiculous and if you're over/under qualified you won't get a call.

Second you have to register at the site and fill out 45mins worth of info. that can be found on your resume. Sometimes personally info. also, like salary/race/age

Third you have to take a test and answers questions, sometimes essay format.

Fourth you finally have to upload a customized resume/coverletter in a ridiculous format so that it fits into the little box they provide, text format only.

All this for one job.

Have some compassion.

Old 04-11-2012, 01:24 PM

831 posts, read 2,829,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redvelvet709 View Post
Online searching is actually not doing all you can. It's pretty passive, actually! He needs to be dressing up and getting out there, visiting places he might consider good opportunities. I know times have changes with etiquette, but no one can ever say they are doing all they can if they don't get off the couch and put themselves out there.
Sounds like he is not really wanting to work.

Most companies do not allow you to get past the front door. I work in NYC and you can't ever just walk into any of these places.
Maybe a small business, you may get through, but HELLO it's 2012, people simply don't get hired on the spot much anymore.

Old 04-11-2012, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sas0814 View Post
99% of jobs today are only posted online. The newspaper is empty or full of scams.

Please realize he is one of tens of millions who lost their jobs and can't find another.
Why are employed people so blind to the fact that it's realllllly bad out there. All the jobs are GONE!

He's doing all he can.

First you have to scour sites and find something worth applying too. Most jobs aren't worth your time because the requirements are utterly ridiculous and if you're over/under qualified you won't get a call.

Second you have to register at the site and fill out 45mins worth of info. that can be found on your resume. Sometimes personally info. also, like salary/race/age

Fourth you finally have to upload a customized resume/coverletter in a ridiculous format so that it fits into the little box they provide, text format only.

All this for one job.

Have some compassion.
She has a right to be frustrated, one. Two, I have never relied solely on the Internet for jobs, and I obtained my best one from networking! Never say someone is doing all they can if they are not doing anything additional. Again, we are not victims. We can make things happen, but we do need to take further action-regardless of what the statistics or the reports say!

Old 04-11-2012, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Most companies do not allow you to get past the front door. I work in NYC and you can't ever just walk into any of these places.
Maybe a small business, you may get through, but HELLO it's 2012, people simply don't get hired on the spot much anymore.
Makes no difference what year it is. Make excuses if you like. Some of us do. I was trying to defend you, but if you want to defend your boyfriend now after posting that you were frustrated, then by all means, keep making excuses.

Old 04-11-2012, 01:28 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,234,013 times
Quote:

He's doing all he can.

All this for one job.

Have some compassion.
I'm sympathetic (I'm not employed right now either) but after 4 months and no calls, I'm not sure he's "doing all he can." I don't think that on-line searching is the issue, though. It seems to be the main way to look for a job these days. Maybe he's looking in the wrong places, or applying for the wrong jobs. Maybe his resume isn't put together well. There could be any number of problems. I don't think searching on line in the issue.

Old 04-11-2012, 01:37 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,214,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrsperrymills View Post
Go walk up to your local grocery store and ask for an application, se what they say. Unless it is a Mom and Pop, they are going to tell you to go apply online.

I suppose he could just walk from business to business trying to get face time with managers, but its really not the same dynamic any more. Managers only talk to people after automated software, stupid personality tests, and HR people have weeded through the stack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment