Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2012, 11:08 AM

640 posts, read 1,214,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnownUnknown View Post
Way to get ridiculous. He said employers low ball on wages and benefits because they can, and you call him a communist. Next time you have a thought, just let it go.
I actually agree with him. It's called exploitation and employers are doing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 11:28 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,520,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetheduns View Post
I hate to inform you but the USA never made English a national official language.

So... Spanish is equally a national language of this country as is English-- especially in certain parts of the country.

Well then, we need to amend our Constitution to make English our official language, pronto.

In the meantime, I'll fight this Spanish-speaking invasion any way I know how, and I encourage others to do the same. I'd just as soon as slit my own throat before being forced to learn another language...

Old 04-24-2012, 01:55 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
I'd just as soon as slit my own throat before being forced to learn another language...
Who's forcing you? I've always thought of learning another language as something which broadens horizons. I can get by in French and related Latin languages but have recently considered learning Arabic. I would think particularly someone like you who doesn't have to work for a living might enjoy the challenge.

Old 04-24-2012, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Who's forcing you? I've always thought of learning another language as something which broadens horizons. I can get by in French and related Latin languages but have recently considered learning Arabic. I would think particularly someone like you who doesn't have to work for a living might enjoy the challenge.
Well, I would...except I'm hard-of-hearing, and it was difficult enough for me to learn English, so learning a whole new language and being able to understand others in it would be next to impossible.

You can imagine my thrill when I was halfway through my carpentry diploma program at the local technical college when one of the teachers told us that it'll be highly necessary to learn Spanish in order to get into the construction / carpentry business around these parts due to the huge influx of Spanish speakers...I was like, thanks for telling me that well after I started the program... Just seems like you can't win these days...

So, I'll just stick with my odd jobs with friends / family / relatives, and I'm gradually learning the art of woodworking - perhaps one of these days I'll be able to make a living yet, God willing...lol. Or perhaps I (we, actually) can move someplace where no Latin-American dare tread, like the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Again, one of these days, God willing....

Last edited by NorthStarDelight; 04-24-2012 at 02:31 PM..

Old 04-24-2012, 02:28 PM

63 posts, read 51,441 times
You cant survive on 8 dollars an hour.

You just can't. Not a life worth living.

These guys are mostly just rich kids playing ceo of a company with their parents money, paying unlivable wages to poor folks and then having the balls to wax poetic about work ethic.

America, encapsulated.

Old 04-24-2012, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabamatom View Post
You cant survive on 8 dollars an hour.

You just can't. Not a life worth living.

These guys are mostly just rich kids playing ceo of a company with their parents money, paying unlivable wages to poor folks and then having the balls to wax poetic about work ethic.

America, encapsulated.
Actually, the going rate for a Mexican fresh off the truck around here is $10 an hour. If they speak a modicum of English, and have verifiable experience, they often earn $15 an hour, cash, of course. Tree cutters (the ones that climb to death-defying heights) often make a $50 daily bonus on top of their $15 an hour.

Us citizens that cannot get a "professional" grade job, are left to compete for those $8, $8.50 an hour jobs, and that's W-2 pay, which means you have taxes taken out of that measly paycheck.

America - the Land of the Fair and Free...not...

Old 04-24-2012, 07:56 PM

750 posts, read 1,445,807 times
Andy were headed to Spain or worse high unemployment and huge underemployment. And maybe social unrest. Business is finding ways to do more with less all the time. I think you said you can run 4 machines with one guy now. Well it is not just happening in machine shops it cuts across every industry the same thing is going on. People need to work but the jobs are not there. Once you add in the illegals the interns the temps the part timers the list goes on. You have this huge pool of labor working for little or no money. Once you add in sending jobs overseas it all helps drive down wages.

Old 04-25-2012, 05:57 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
Actually, the going rate for a Mexican fresh off the truck around here is $10 an hour. If they speak a modicum of English, and have verifiable experience, they often earn $15 an hour, cash, of course. Tree cutters (the ones that climb to death-defying heights) often make a $50 daily bonus on top of their $15 an hour.

Us citizens that cannot get a "professional" grade job, are left to compete for those $8, $8.50 an hour jobs, and that's W-2 pay, which means you have taxes taken out of that measly paycheck.

America - the Land of the Fair and Free...not...
Nailed it.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:16 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,199,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Nailed it.

Where the hell did this saying come from? I've noticed a rash of computer/tech and anime nerds saying this after almost every action they do.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:17 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Nailed it.
You know there's always an option - to leave and seek greener pastures elsewhere. I mean, seriously, unless you're actively lobbying at your local level for constructive change to be effected and not just moaning on forums, there just might be a better opportunity in another land. The world is quite a large place ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment