Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2012, 01:37 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by collegeguy35 View Post
Meat cutter 30 years ago that may have been a good job. Now no way how do I know? When my Dad was 18 he was a meat cutter made ok money. I have family and friends in the supermarket business. Uncle owns a supermarket non union pays his one meat cutter not good. All the stores in his area are non union expect one which pays pays their meat cutter well. Buddy makes good wages union store in another state. Most stores are no longer union pay their meat cutter chicken feed if they even have one . Most meat is pre cut and packaged that way to cut out the meat cutter themselves. Wal-Mart did this the meat cutters wanted a union they shut the store where the meat cutters worked. Now all their meat is per cut comes off the truck that way. So meat cutting is a 9 dollar an hour job part time and you get the chance to lose a finger. Unless your in a union store and business is breaking the unions in the supermarket business. Wind turbines had some of those as well days are numbered. Framers did not want them on their land also they run into issues with green peace killing of birds. It also cost to much to make the power so they also have started taking them down. It was going to be the next big thing has not panned out. Elevator workers are union workers most of the time and their a closed shop so you better be someone's son or forget it. Your right on about the diesel mechanics. Their use to be 4 voc tech programs for diesel in the city I live now. They have been shut down at least 20 years. We are not a small city. The town I grew up in another state had 3 now it has one and a wait list. We shut down most of our voc tech schools over the last 30 years. The whole everybody needs to go to college which was a dumb idea. Less voc tech programs means less workers coming down the pipeline with skills we need. Same thing happened with tool and die
Maybe your uncle pays his meat cutter crap wages, but around here an entry level meat cutter at Publix makes $13/hour and after they've gotten some experience it rises to the $17 range. That's full time with great benefits. While Foods also pays meat cutters well. in the $16-22/hour range..

And there are still plenty of turbines around, thousands of them in central Indiana alone, and not enough technicians to maintain them.

There is an elevator place in teh greater Orlando area that has an ad in the local paper a couple times a year looking for techs, so it must not be a closed shop.

The point is that there are skilled and highly skilled labor jobs out there that don't require college and generally require a small financial investment into trade school with a near guarantee of employment on graduation, but people don't even consider the trades for whatever reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2012, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arc212 View Post
Well to be fair if you give someone a list that looks pretty comprehensive, it's pretty safe to assume what they need to do is on that list.
But common sense would tell you that if you noticed something that probably should be part of your job but wasn't specifically mentioned, that you'd ask about it...

Old 04-21-2012, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Either Annerk's post is leaving out some details or it is a great example of poor management. Either way, there's a problem at that facility.
Poor management because a quickly handwritten list didn't mention the trash in the bathroom? The shop foreman didn't expect that the janitor would actually need a written list of what he was supposed to clean each day. Every other janitor we've had we've just given them a tour of the facility, told them what we expect, and they get it done and ask if they have any questions.

Old 04-21-2012, 04:59 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Either Annerk's post is leaving out some details or it is a great example of poor management. Either way, there's a problem at that facility.
Why the silly nit picking? Surely it's not too much to expect an employee to have a modicum of basic common sense? If I write a "to do" list which includes something like, "wash the dishes" must I put together a multipage document explaining how much dishwashing liquid is to be used, where it's to be poured and how many swipes of the dish mop/sponge must pass over the item to be cleaned and how the rinsing is to be accomplished? That's as daft as your comment.

Old 04-21-2012, 09:40 AM

29,825 posts, read 24,908,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by collegeguy35 View Post
Less voc tech programs means less workers coming down the pipeline with skills we need. Same thing happened with tool and die
Ok, ask a tool and die maker if they would recommend their profession to young people. There is a reason kids shifted their attention away from the trades. Wages that didn't keep up with inflation, off shoring of jobs, improved efficiencies in some fields requiring less workers... Mostly, parents told their kids they would be much better off with a college degree than hard skills. Reason being, it became increasingly difficult to count on hard skills to feed a family.

And to give you an example... We have very few tool and die makers anymore. We have a lot of tool and die repairman though. Have the die made in China, and have one T&D man fix the mistakes. Same thing happened in the mold making biz. Used to be very lucrative and highly respected professions that took a lot of smarts and commitment. Not anymore. Unfortunately, these trades will probably be lost forever in this country, although Canada is still doing very well on this kind of work.

Old 04-21-2012, 10:13 AM

750 posts, read 1,445,807 times
Your right about the trades and your right about tool and die and I know about them sending tool and die to China using only a few repairmen. I just saw a thing in the paper and on tv as well about how the US needed tool and tie makers. It was nuts annek was posting how kids are lazy do not want to get their hands dirty. Kids know alot of the trades are dying their dads are telling not do not this. Buddy dad was a mill wight told him not to do it. If they need any tool and die makers it is not going to happen they sent the work China and their pipeline is gone. Heck alot of trades your work half the year. Their are reasons many kids do not want to go into the trades lazy is not one them.

Old 04-21-2012, 10:23 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,929,654 times
Had a part time cleaning lady. I needed to tell her exactly what I wanted done. She cleaned one side of a window and when I mentioned to clean the other side her facial look was "you want the other side cleaned also?"

That is what is happening with many of todays workers...get my drift?

Old 04-21-2012, 11:21 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,520,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Had a part time cleaning lady. I needed to tell her exactly what I wanted done. She cleaned one side of a window and when I mentioned to clean the other side her facial look was "you want the other side cleaned also?"

That is what is happening with many of todays workers...get my drift?
Not surprised. I always feel people have an inflated view of the skill level and intelligence of the average American worker.

Old 04-21-2012, 11:44 AM

219 posts, read 439,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
Thats what Wheelsups point was, and what I was saying.

People like you or annerk sit there and say "Get more training, get a higher degree, blah blah blah", but it doesnt matter how much training someone gets, the same exact crap jobs exist. The only difference is we will have PHD's flipping burgers for $8 an hour and 200k in debt.
It's called 'missing the forest through the trees'. One must keep in mind his or her immediate circumstance and the context in which those circumstance arise.

Old 04-21-2012, 11:56 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,742,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
If I write a "to do" list which includes something like, "wash the dishes" must I put together a multipage document explaining how much dishwashing liquid is to be used, where it's to be poured and how many swipes of the dish mop/sponge must pass over the item to be cleaned and how the rinsing is to be accomplished?
As long as you don't complain about HOW the dishes are washed, then nothing's wrong with that at all.

If you want the dishes done a certain way, you instruct the employee to do them a certain way. If you don't instruct them to wash the dishes a certain way, then they're going to assume they can wash the dishes their way (even if their way's not to your liking). After all, there's a difference between common sense and mind reading.

Anyway, it's funny how poor management from business owners is never discussed but everyone is quick to discuss the poor work ethics of employees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment