Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 05:17 AM

15 posts, read 18,635 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the advice everyone. I told my co-workers about my vacation situation and I guess all we can do it take it one day at a time... My boss is still heavily sedated and we can only wait to see what happens with him.

The co-owner responded and he is visiting some time this week. He will not be here on a daily basis (since he runs his own business), and expects everyone to step up their roles. I, being the only in the office who has had the most contact with vendors compared to my co-workers, am expected to handle most of the bulk in that area, as well as purchasing parts, shipping, payroll, making sure vendors know our situation but also know that we are working to supply them their parts so they don't take business elsewhere, more than I can handle right now...

I was planning on eventually finding a different position, something that offered more benefits, but because of the situation I feel obligated to stay. It's a crap situation right now. I'm expected to work more hours, not entirely sure of the details until I can talk to the co-owner. I'm kind of overwhelmed at the moment that I have to take the reigns with minimal knowledge of how my boss runs this business and on top of that to make sure we don't mess things up. I've never been this situation before so any and all advice regarding on how to proceed would be EXTREMELY appreciated.

What would you do in my situation?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 11:09 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,228,053 times
You seem to have a decent handle on what areas you haven't been trained on and what you ahve the authority to authorize and what you can't authorize. I would make it crystal clear to the co-owner what those areas are.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:12 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,516,790 times
If you need the money badly (i.e. you're living paycheck to paycheck), then don't go.

If you have enough to survive at least several months in case you lose your job over this (very small chance like 1%) then go to the wedding.

I personally try to have enough cash on hand as "insurance" in case I get let go because I decided to stand my ground over something that might include this.

Old 04-30-2012, 12:25 PM

308 posts, read 447,652 times
I was in a similar situation recently. Back in June 2010 my department consisted of my boss, myself and 2 other guys. My boss had a heart attack, and by seniority i basically became the head guy in the department. I thought of taking some time off that summer, but thought it best to wait until my boss returned. He came back in November. By then, the other 2 guys in my department had left the company. In December we hired a new guy. So now the department is my boss, myself, and a new person.

In May 2011 my wife had scheduled a week off, so I put in for and was approved some time off at the time. I was scheduled to take off the Monday, and work half days the rest of the week. Well, the Friday before, my boss comes to me with a project and tells me, "We need this competed for a meeting on Tuesday." Lots of fun, going home and telling my wife "I have to work tomorrow (Saturday) and all next week. Sorry, you and our daughter are on your own."

Turns out, the new guy left October last year, and shortly after my boss leaves because of the stress. So in the couse of 18 months I went from working with my boss and 2 guys to being the entire department.

Old 04-30-2012, 12:30 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,839,427 times
Since your boss's wife made the 'phone call to advise of her husband's illness I'd suggest you call her right now and explain the situation. Tell her you feel badly but you've scheduled a vacation of a few days which you can't possibly cancel but that you'll be happy to leave your contact info in case there's anything at all you might be able to help with during your brief absence. We're not talking a two week long vacation here and nor are you in a position of responsibility such that the business would immediately founder during your short absence.

Old 05-21-2012, 11:46 AM

15 posts, read 18,635 times
Update 5/21/12:

Hey all thanks for the advice. I went on my vacation and I'm so glad I did. Im curious Mike, what eventually happened to the company? Are you the sole owner now?

My boss is slowly making a recovery. He is walking a little bit with the help of a walker and plans to visit sometime in the next couple weeks.

As for his view on me, he has not given me given me any recognition while he was away. I wasn't looking for anything major, just a thank you would have been nice. Anytime I speak with him on the phone he is very rude now. I like the people I work with but honestly I can't work under someone like him anymore. I'm realizing how much I dislike his management style and how miserable I will be if I stay.

As he recovers he will be working from home. At the moment we are without a computer and vendor information because he took that all with him. Since he will be working from home, I feel like I am now disposable. I come to work with very little to do. He won't offer me more hours or insurance since I am part-time. Hopefully I can find something better soon. It'll be 6 months by June, so I can add it as work experience and support myself in the meantime. Then I'm outta there!

Last edited by evangalg1; 05-21-2012 at 11:57 AM..

Old 05-23-2012, 02:24 PM

308 posts, read 447,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evangalg1 View Post
Im curious Mike, what eventually happened to the company? Are you the sole owner now?
I'm sill the only one in my department, but the company does have other departments. Though each one only has 1 or 2 people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment