Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 04:43 PM

236 posts, read 556,738 times

Advertisements

Next Friday is my last day of work at a hospital that I worked at for about 4 years now as a Senior nurse. No one has said anything to me about having a little party, get-together, etc. Should I even care? I feel I was a good employee and have always had good reviews with my boss, etc. There are a couple people that I have had confrontations with, but nothing too serious. I feel like I have contributed a lot over the last four years. Both of the Directors have not said anyting to me about leaving and they were told two weeks ago. When they see me they just say "Hi" and that's it. Just seem kind of sad if they don't, even though I'll be starting my new job as a manager soon. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2012, 04:57 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,724,266 times
They might be planning a surprise. Or not. But it's not something I'd care about. You're leaving of your own accord, they really don't owe you anything.

Old 05-18-2012, 05:00 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,399,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
They might be planning a surprise. Or not. But it's not something I'd care about. You're leaving of your own accord, they really don't owe you anything.
I agree. I have left jobs where there was a cake, and I have left where no one really says anything until the last day and they say "good bye and good luck".

It is a job. You are leaving because you have a better opportunity. I always thought it was a little strange to celebrate someone leaving where they are for something better...especially if the other employees are also looking to leave.

Old 05-18-2012, 05:54 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,656,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
Exactly. I left a job I loved after 5 yrs and they called me into the conference room and there was a cake and they had decorated, it took me a second to realize it was for me...LOL.

Old 05-18-2012, 05:57 PM

45,455 posts, read 60,666,498 times
Fellow employees throw parties when people leave? Damn.

Wait, I do remember a couple now when someone left. We didn't invite the guy who was leaving, though.

Old 05-18-2012, 06:51 PM

3,437 posts, read 6,078,027 times
Most places will not have parties unless you have been there for twenty years or more or maybe retiring.

Old 05-18-2012, 08:08 PM

10,115 posts, read 19,420,313 times
Times are tough...employees get sick of being expected to bring gifts, cakes, etc for every little thing, especially for fellow employees leaving for a better job!

Old 05-18-2012, 10:34 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,129,736 times
Depends on the culture of the workplace.
I was somewhere for 5 years and they got me some cake and got together in the break room for me and got me a $100 AMEX gift card to help me on a new wardrobe since I was switching careers.
I would be a little bummed too but I guess that helps the confirmation that leaving is the best thing to do.
Good luck in your new job or adventure!

Old 05-18-2012, 10:36 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,167,132 times
You will either get a party or you won't. Not much point worrying about it.

Old 05-19-2012, 12:39 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,359,124 times
At the law firm where I worked, the attorneys seemed not to want to do anything for two long term people who left (one was a secretary and the other an associate). I asked if we could have a pot luck luncheon for them, and we had it in the conference room. The bosses graciously let us have an extra hour for lunch and even joined us. When I was let go (after ten years), I was given a box to clean out my desk, and that's it. They didn't even say goodbye. They did this 4:00 p.m., two days before Thanksgiving. The reason they gave was that "my husband called the office too many times". They'd cut my pay and hours previously, in hopes I'd quit, so they could bring in someone cheaper.

Attorneys are so classy.

Whatever, happens, be gracious about it. If they don't acknowledge your last day, just politely leave, and don't look back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment