Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 12:11 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I never apply online. I've found that to be less effective. I stick to traditional methods.
I wasn't talking in the specifics of what you do, I meant the generalities because most jobs as for that. Only craigslist or those that actually still use the newspaper are e-mail (or fax) your resume. As for networking, I wouldn't know because any "networking events" I've been to have actually been job fairs but had the title changed for some reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2014, 08:19 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I wasn't talking in the specifics of what you do, I meant the generalities because most jobs as for that. Only craigslist or those that actually still use the newspaper are e-mail (or fax) your resume. As for networking, I wouldn't know because any "networking events" I've been to have actually been job fairs but had the title changed for some reason.
Other sites that allow you to use email for applying to jobs are

careerbuilder
monster
idealist.org
indeed

Old 11-10-2014, 08:21 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
The main issue with Taleo is the amount of time it takes to complete an application when it's only a 5% you will get contacted.

Old 11-10-2014, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
Other sites that allow you to use email for applying to jobs are

careerbuilder
monster
idealist.org
indeed
Indeed pretty much siphons off from jobs and direct links (that is where I found that bank job I tried applying to.) Careerbuilder and Monster are virtual resume blasts that rarely work but most times it will get responses from MLM or insurance jobs rather than "real jobs" at least in my experience. Idealist I haven't used so I am not sure how they are. I'll check them out.

Old 11-10-2014, 09:05 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Quote:
You WERE talking about what I do. NavySeal and I were talking about my experiences with Teleo and you responded to that discussion.

I have found networking to be the most reliable way to find a job. Closely followed by using the university career services center.

Old 11-10-2014, 09:18 PM

You can be used for any person like using one or they. Just because I used you, doesn't mean I am about you (NJBest.) Perhaps I should have used one for confusion but I used you not directed specifically to you.

Old 11-10-2014, 09:36 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Quote:
You can be used for any person like using one or they. Just because I used you, doesn't mean I am about you (NJBest.) Perhaps I should have used one for confusion but I used you not directed specifically to you.
I was just confused based on the context of which the term was used because you responded to a discussion between NavySeal and I specifically about my experiences. No worries.

Old 12-17-2014, 01:03 PM

1 posts, read 1,093 times
As a recruiter who used Taleo everyday, I can tell that we hate it too! Our companies purchase it and we don't have a choice in whether or not we use it. It crashes, doesn't ask the questions we need answers to and is all around frustrating. Having said that, it you are not getting a reply on a job, that is because that particular company is either not reviewing all applications (we do) or they have set up filters to immediately reject candidates based on skill set questions. I read where someone said they immediately got a rejection letter and my question would be, "were you qualified for the job or did you ask for too much money"? Those are reasons I would immediately reject a candidate. Job applicants have to understand that recruiters have their pick of candidates and if we say experience is required, we mean it. We do like an online application to cut back on paper and to expedite information to hiring managers. Resumes don't cut it. They are what you want us to know but applications are what we need to know (although Taleo doesn't do a very good of that either). Taleo must have really good sales people to sell their horrible product to companies but the sad thing is most of the purchasers don't use it on a daily basis and have no idea how awful it is.

Last edited by Recruiter66; 12-17-2014 at 01:05 PM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment