Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 03:22 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times

Advertisements

So I would like someone on here to be completely honest with me who does the hiring for their company or used to because I just want to get a full understanding of why this is the case.

If you don't feel comfortable being honest on this thread I'm willing to accept private messages because I really want the real answer to this question. I never been a fan of sugarcoating so please be upfront with me because I need this information badly

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 03:31 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
So I would like someone on here to be completely honest with me who does the hiring for their company or used to because I just want to get a full understanding of why this is the case.
why is not a single factor
of the several factors that may apply they may/will also vary by job
and even by the individual people applying

you already know what the top 10 factors are
it isn't rocket science

Old 06-12-2012, 03:33 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,031,037 times
If you're asking why companies only want to hire people who are already employed, than the "logic" is as follows:

1) All unemployed people are "lazy." See, when a plant closes or big-wig managers run a company into the ground, the fault clearly lies only on the people who were laid off. Corporations never lay off hard workers - hahahahaha, right! - and connections would never beat out job performance... even though everyone freely admits that connections are more important than skills, including people who run around accusing the unemployed of lacking skills. Hmmm, yeah... so what I'm saying is that the unemployed are "lazy," despite all proof to the contrary.

2) All unemployed people forget everything they know the moment they lose their jobs. See, when a corporation lays somebody off, they erase parts of the victim's brain, making it impossible for them to remember how to perform the tasks they spent the previous 2, 5, 10, or even more years doing. Also, the brain-erasure prevents them from learning anything new. Note that some companies also believe that people get an automatic brain erasure when they hit 30 to 40 years of age, so that can also be a problem.

3) It's good for the economy, despite the evidence! Creating a permament underclass of "unemployable" people is good for the economy... okay, nobody will believe that... Hmmm... well, maybe it's good for the hiring company since when they only hire people who are already working, they have to pay them more money than they would paid somebody who's out of work. In exchange for paying more money, they'll get a worker who may not be able to start immediately and who may be less grateful for the work and thus show less loyalty to the new company. Okay, that doesn't sound so good either... Hmmmm...

Yeah, okay - there's really no good reason. It's just a mix of laziness - "Durr... we need a way to filter out the resume quickly..." and sadism - kicking people when they are down based upon the insane belief that everyone "gets what they deserve in life."

Old 06-12-2012, 03:36 PM

2,618 posts, read 6,161,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post

If you don't feel comfortable being honest on this thread I'm willing to accept private messages because I really want the real answer to this question. I never been a fan of sugarcoating so please be upfront with me because I need this information badly

Thanks
I am not in HR, but I sell to and work with HR departments for a living so I know their hiring processes.

The unemployment is insanely high. Employers have the upper hand now (rather than employees having the upper hand in the 90's).

Companies can be picky, some companies believe that someone unemployed is either:

A.) Not a good worker, lazy, undesired
B.) is damaged goods and passed over by other companies
C.) they're afraid that you're desperate for just any job so they don't want you to work for them and spend more time looking for the job you really do want.
D.) They think being laid off is similar to being fired
E.) They want top level talent to work for their company, and if you don't have a job at present time they don't consider you top talent
F.) They'll have a hard time listening to you when you tell them why you're a good fit for the company, because in the back of their mind they'll think you are lying just to get a job (similar reason to reason "C")
G.) Companies are jerks and don't have a real reason
H.) Companies have too many applicants so they are just using "umemployed" as a way to narrow down the applicant pool to a manageable number.

That's all I can think of right now, but those are the basic reasons why companies will discriminate against unemployed. The best advice is to do everything can to be EMPLOYED because I know for a fact when I was unemployed for 6 months I was being turned down for jobs that were entry level (I had 6 years experience) and jobs that I had moved up from and been promoted from in the past. I wasn't even hired for jobs I had a proven track record of success for. They were passing me to hire kids right out of college who knew nothing about sales....it was so disappointing.

Whatever you do, if you can at all avoid it, do not be unemployed no matter what the costs or how difficult that job is. Just stick it out and look for a new job while you have a current job. Being unemployed is like having the plague; no one will touch you.

Old 06-12-2012, 03:37 PM

1,790 posts, read 2,924,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
If you're asking why companies only want to hire people who are already employed, than the "logic" is as follows:

1) All unemployed people are "lazy." See, when a plant closes or big-wig managers run a company into the ground, the fault clearly lies only on the people who were laid off. Corporations never lay off hard workers - hahahahaha, right! - and connections would never beat out job performance... even though everyone freely admits that connections are more important than skills, including people who run around accusing the unemployed of lacking skills. Hmmm, yeah... so what I'm saying is that the unemployed are "lazy," despite all proof to the contrary.

2) All unemployed people forget everything they know the moment they lose their jobs. See, when a corporation lays somebody off, they erase parts of the victim's brain, making it impossible for them to remember how to perform the tasks they spent the previous 2, 5, 10, or even more years doing. Also, the brain-erasure prevents them from learning anything new. Note that some companies also believe that people get an automatic brain erasure when they hit 30 to 40 years of age, so that can also be a problem.

3) It's good for the economy. See, creating a permament underclass of "unemployable" people is good for the economy... okay, nobody will believe that... Hmmm... well, maybe it's good for the hiring company since when they only hire people who are already working, they have to pay them more money than they would paid somebody who's out of work. In exchange for paying more money, they'll get a worker who may not be able to start immediately and who may be less grateful for the work and thus show less loyalty to the new company. Okay, that doesn't sound so good either... Hmmmm...

Yeah, okay - there's really no good reason. It's just a mix of laziness - "Durr... we need a way to filter out the resume quickly..." and sadism - kicking people when they are down based upon the insane belief that everyone "gets what they deserve in life."
excellent post!

Old 06-12-2012, 03:48 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,673,640 times
At times, a company will inclide that in their postings as a way to discourage the desperate from applying. You know the ones who are civil engneers and are applying for a job as a seamstress to fill their employment search logs. Others may state that because they are just trying to cut down on the number of applications. You may see this when the position is not some highly skilled position and out of every 100 applicatiosn, 50 will be qualified.

The question is, if you want that job, why should that stop you from applying?

Old 06-12-2012, 05:55 PM

114 posts, read 244,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdubs3201 View Post
I am not in HR, but I sell to and work with HR departments for a living so I know their hiring processes.

The unemployment is insanely high. Employers have the upper hand now (rather than employees having the upper hand in the 90's).

Companies can be picky, some companies believe that someone unemployed is either:

C.) they're afraid that you're desperate for just any job so they don't want you to work for them and spend more time looking for the job you really do want.
E.) They want top level talent to work for their company, and if you don't have a job at present time they don't consider you top talent
F.) They'll have a hard time listening to you when you tell them why you're a good fit for the company, because in the back of their mind they'll think you are lying just to get a job (similar reason to reason "C")
H.) Companies have too many applicants so they are just using "umemployed" as a way to narrow down the applicant pool to a manageable number.

That's all I can think of right now, but those are the basic reasons why companies will discriminate against unemployed. The best advice is to do everything can to be EMPLOYED because I know for a fact when I was unemployed for 6 months I was being turned down for jobs that were entry level (I had 6 years experience) and jobs that I had moved up from and been promoted from in the past. I wasn't even hired for jobs I had a proven track record of success for. They were passing me to hire kids right out of college who knew nothing about sales....it was so disappointing.

Whatever you do, if you can at all avoid it, do not be unemployed no matter what the costs or how difficult that job is. Just stick it out and look for a new job while you have a current job. Being unemployed is like having the plague; no one will touch you.

Thanks for the information. This is horrible discrimination and all I can ask myself is what hope do we the unemployed have?

Old 06-12-2012, 06:04 PM

29,795 posts, read 24,880,628 times
Companies want the best workers available. Companies view the unemployed crowd as "the rest".

Old 06-12-2012, 06:36 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,962,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdubs3201 View Post

That is an excellent, comprehensive list.

Old 06-12-2012, 06:42 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,390,696 times
I agree. But I also have noticed if the person addresses it upfront, by saying something like "I am being picky and looking for a long term career so it needs to be right" the person doing the interview, etc seems to drop it. Guessing that wouldn't work if the ad says you need to be employed, but honestly, those that say it in writing don't seem all THAT common.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment