Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 12:16 AM

16,177 posts, read 21,337,674 times

Advertisements

Why do employers work around a student's schedule but won't work around a parent that has to find child care? Isn't that something of a double standard? (one that I see quite frequently in retail)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2012, 12:39 AM

4,400 posts, read 13,424,538 times
Because students are often the part time employees. If you read OP's original post, they told her that if she wanted to maintain the same schedule, they were going to move her to part time.

Old 07-01-2012, 01:36 PM

And here we start the fit throwing because all posters didn't say "that terrible boss who expects to treat you the same as all the others and not bend the rules because you are the oh so speacial MOTHER.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiam333 View Post
Wow...what a HEARTLESS world we live in today. There once was a time when people had compassion for other people and if they saw someone in need and they could help, they would...why not?

Not saying don't help you out. But I am saying that you do not deserve special treatment.

Because the people in this world now are SELFISH,cut throat , and greedy.

Personally, I think people who expect others to arrange their lives to suit them are the ones who are selfish and greedy.

So what if someone could potentially lose their home, car, etc...as long as you get yours. With this way of living, it's no wonder there are so many pointless murders on the news.

Oh give me a break.

It's total disregard for fellow human beings. I bet if it was you who was being challenged you wouldn't be talking all this equality bs.

No, it is a willingness to treat all the same way. And most of us have been challenged and have had to figure out how to handle it. Which is why we have no respect for people who use the "but I have a CHILD so you HAVE to treat me different because there is a CHILD involved.

By the way I talked with my manager today and she made the excellent point that NO ONE except for managers have any business with what goes on with your schedule.

Not true. If I work somewhere and other employees are being given access to benefits, such as a set schedule, which I am not given equal access to, that is discrimintation. Plain and simple.

She also understood that these people who complained were being malicious. So anyway it looks as though there are a FEW good people out there still...God help the rest of you.

I am good without your wishes that we all need to be helped, especially as they are insincere.

Bless your heart.

Old 07-01-2012, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Oh stop playing the victim. I notice you didn't answer the poster about why can't the father help.

You CHOSE to have a baby when you weren't married, no reason to get pregnant these days unless you want to. Not a moral judgement, but an economic one.

Sorry being a single mom isn't a badge of honor, I'm not talking about widowed or divorced women, but you CHOSE to get pregnant and now you're annoyed that they will no longer do what you want.

It would be HEARTLESS if you said you got laid off and were about to be homeless and people showed no empathy.

You created the situation.

Why can't the father help out?
You got no answer to this because you made valid points and didn't just take the mother's side. Amazing how, in EVERY ONE of these threads, OP starts to attack with how terrible people are when they don't get their way. Personally, I find the people who expect to get special treatment because they have children to be the most entitled PITAs out there.

Old 07-01-2012, 02:23 PM

9 posts, read 22,648 times
The father passed away before the baby was born. I didn't start this so that I can argue with everyone. There are a lot of bitter people here. I came on here with a rather simple question. I never dreamed I would be attacked for my PERSONAL life and my choice to be a mother. It's amazing how many of you are so quick to judge and get away from the point by bringing up factors such as the father, my choices as a parent and jumping to conclusions of me playing a victim and expecting that I deserve a medal for being a single mom. YOU are the ones that said these things...not me. Also, you don't know if I was married or not do you? The question I wanted opinions on was this; Can an employer take away your full time status and cut you to part time status if you can not work the schedule they have to give you? That's it. Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned I was a single parent. Then you wouldn't have fuel to attack the fact that I am.
Why don't you think about this; if 2 people are on a wait list for a heart transplant and they both were put on at the same time and one had 1 week to live, the other had a year to live and a heart became available, which should get the heart? According to the logic you've expressed I can see you saying, TO BE FAIR, no one should get the heart...after all that's fair right, don't want to give it to just one? My point is that it's a matter of necessity.
Anyway, it doesn't really matter what you all think anyway, because I remain full time status with the schedule I need.

Old 07-01-2012, 02:32 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,255,527 times
Quote:
The question I wanted opinions on was this; Can an employer take away your full time status and cut you to part time status if you can not work the schedule they have to give you?

Why don't you think about this; if 2 people are on a wait list for a heart transplant and they both were put on at the same time and one had 1 week to live, the other had a year to live and a heart became available, which should get the heart?
I cut out the extra personal details from your post.

The answer to your first question is yes. An employer can choose how it engages it's employee. This is only natural as the employer is the person who is putting out the money. However, the employee does not have to agree with the employers wishes. The employee as freedom to take action.

The person of higher standing should get the heart transplant.

Old 07-01-2012, 02:38 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,288,449 times
I'm sorry for you loss, OP. I think the simple answer to your question is, yes they "can" change your status to part time. I have mixed feelings about whether or not they should, though. If you have worked there for a long time, and have seniority, I don't think the newbies have any room to complain. If the manager didn't have a problem with your schedule up to now, he should grow some, and not bend to the other employees. If it is a situation where you are the only one with a set schedule and everyone else's changes, and/or you are the only one who doesn't have to work weekends, or something, I can see why some would be upset.

You might be better off looking for a job that is M-F so it works with daycare. Or, you could find a sitter who can work with your schedule. Good luck.

Shame on you people giving this mom a hard time just because she's a mom! She's trying to do the right thing and work to support herself and her child. Would you rather she be on food stamps?

Old 07-01-2012, 02:40 PM

18,665 posts, read 20,030,068 times
Quote:
. There are a lot of bitter people here.
We knew that from your early posts.

Old 07-01-2012, 02:44 PM

18,665 posts, read 20,030,068 times
Quote:
.? The question I wanted opinions on was this; Can an employer take away your full time status and cut you to part time status if you can not work the schedule they have to give you? That's it. .
That is NOT it. We answered they can, and should be able to , and you started an endles series of excuses as to why they should have to accomodate you. They don't, so either work what they offer or get a new job.

Had you simply accepted the early posts proper recognition of the employers rights without saying anything except "Thanks for the info.", the thread would have ended within 10 posts. We'd have said "She didn't know, and nothing more". You failed to gracefully accept the consequences of a totally proper change in scheduling.

Last edited by bobtn; 07-01-2012 at 03:55 PM..

Old 07-01-2012, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
That is NOT it. We answered they can, and should be able to , and you started an endles series of excuses as to why they should have to accomodate you. They don't, so either work what they offer or get a new job.

Had you simply accepted the early posts proper recognition of the employers rights without saying anything except "Thanks for the info.", the thread would have ended within 10 posts. We'd have said "She didn't now, and nothing more". You failed to gracefully accept the consequences of a totally proper change in scheduling.
Isn't this OP fascinating? Amazing that SHE was somehow not the one who added all the issues and excuses. But then, people throwing fits about their schedules, ETC are never the problem. Learned that in Real Life...reinforced it here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment