Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 07:53 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,434,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiam333 View Post
Wow...what a HEARTLESS world we live in today. There once was a time when people had compassion for other people and if they saw someone in need and they could help, they would...why not? Because the people in this world now are SELFISH,cut throat , and greedy. So what if someone could potentially lose their home, car, etc...as long as you get yours. With this way of living, it's no wonder there are so many pointless murders on the news. It's total disregard for fellow human beings. I bet if it was you who was being challenged you wouldn't be talking all this equality bs. By the way I talked with my manager today and she made the excellent point that NO ONE except for managers have any business with what goes on with your schedule. She also understood that these people who complained were being malicious. So anyway it looks as though there are a FEW good people out there still...God help the rest of you.
Your employer is probably worried about being sued by the complainers so they have to do this to you. Can your husband take your baby to daycare instead of you? Maybe he can make his schedule a little more flexible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiam333 View Post
The father passed away before the baby was born. I didn't start this so that I can argue with everyone. There are a lot of bitter people here. I came on here with a rather simple question. I never dreamed I would be attacked for my PERSONAL life and my choice to be a mother. It's amazing how many of you are so quick to judge and get away from the point by bringing up factors such as the father, my choices as a parent and jumping to conclusions of me playing a victim and expecting that I deserve a medal for being a single mom. YOU are the ones that said these things...not me. Also, you don't know if I was married or not do you? The question I wanted opinions on was this; Can an employer take away your full time status and cut you to part time status if you can not work the schedule they have to give you? That's it. Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned I was a single parent. Then you wouldn't have fuel to attack the fact that I am.
Why don't you think about this; if 2 people are on a wait list for a heart transplant and they both were put on at the same time and one had 1 week to live, the other had a year to live and a heart became available, which should get the heart? According to the logic you've expressed I can see you saying, TO BE FAIR, no one should get the heart...after all that's fair right, don't want to give it to just one? My point is that it's a matter of necessity.
Anyway, it doesn't really matter what you all think anyway, because I remain full time status with the schedule I need.
So sorry for your loss. I hope it all works out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2012, 07:56 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,234,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
However, if that senior employee's schedule no longer works for the needs of the business, then they an change their schedule or find another position.
It seems to have worked until others complained.

Old 07-01-2012, 08:03 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,688,039 times
Quote:
Oh give me a break. That is one of the best examples, EVER, of "I am on the internet and no one knows who I am" so I can say things I know are stupid to cause a fight.

As for splashing their name all over the place, what kind of idiot thinks that actually does anything? Walmart is known for being a nightmare, yet they are still the biggest employer. Profits are still up and their parking lots and stores are full of shoppers.

That said, if OP wants to tell us the name of the employer that actually makes sure to treat all employees equally, I may make a point to shop WITH them.
Exactly. And as far as posting the companies name on here, really bad idea.

A couple of weeks ago there was a similar poster who told everyone exactly where she worked, including the physical location.

You never know who is reading this board.

Old 07-01-2012, 08:10 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,688,039 times
Quote:
Not saying it is not important. What I AM saying is I see all the time that people expect others to put their lives on hold in order to make sure that they are available for the things their children are doing. It is NOT the responsibility of Employee A to arrange their lives, and vacations...I have seen this request made...to accommodate the child care and events of the child of Employee B.

As for the favor being returned? Not that I see. I have had people say that the requests for children always take priority. And that people who are requesting things off that are NOT child related should ALWAYS be less important than any event that is child related. Same woman who expected her staff to accommodate her request around the birth of a child also would tell her staff that their requests off were subject to be changed/denied if something came up with one of her kids or grandkids.

I am not speaking to anyone in particular when I say this....

The point I am making is that just because you have a child and need time off for the event in your child's life, your request is not AUTOMATICALLY more valid than mine. And if you want to say that doesn't happen, I can say you are wrong. I have had people ACTUALLY SAY..."but my request is for something to do with my child. So, the reason the person requested the day off before me doesn't matter as my reason is for a CHILD". Um...no. If it is important for you to be at the event of a child, I DO understand that. But I am not going to treat others as less important because their requests do not involve a CHILD.

Also, I don't need to be a mom (although I am) to be aware that just because I need a day off doesn't mean that the lives of everyone else are all of a sudden less important than mine.
Years ago on the TV show "Desperate Housewives" there was a very funny scene when the Felicity Huffman character went back to work and needed time off for all these kid related events.

Her boss(a female) went off on her. She told her what about people who don't have kids? What if they have a sick pet? A sick parent? Or just feel like calling in sick and going to a movie.

Why do people who have kids think everyone has to work around them?

Yes it was only a TV show, but it was so true in regard to the workplace.

Old 07-01-2012, 08:12 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,434,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
should moms not try to attend their children's conferences? school plays? so as not to inconvenience anyone else? A good employee will help cover when needed, and hopefully the favor will be returned. Really, if you aren't a mom, you have no idea how important some of this stuff is.
So only childless people should be inconvenienced?

Old 07-01-2012, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
So only childless people should be inconvenienced?
Did I say that? No, I said it should be reciprocated. The "why" of it really doesn't matter. Her manger had no problem allowing her schedule for the past year.

Old 07-01-2012, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Years ago on the TV show "Desperate Housewives" there was a very funny scene when the Felicity Huffman character went back to work and needed time off for all these kid related events.

Her boss(a female) went off on her. She told her what about people who don't have kids? What if they have a sick pet? A sick parent? Or just feel like calling in sick and going to a movie.

Why do people who have kids think everyone has to work around them?

Yes it was only a TV show, but it was so true in regard to the workplace.
What would be stopping them from calling in sick or taking some vacation time to go to a movie? My boss didn't have kids, but she frequently took time off to take her sick pets to the vet. People earn their sick time and PTO and can take it for whatever reason they want.

Old 07-01-2012, 08:23 PM

18,665 posts, read 20,004,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
It seems to have worked until others complained.
DUH! Then it did not work out. What grounds can the manager defend himself on when others say preferential treatment has been shown? Losing 3 others to accomodate 1 Queen Bee is not a solution.

Old 07-01-2012, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
DUH! Then it did not work out. What grounds can the manager defend himself on when others say preferential treatment has been shown? Losing 3 others to accommodate 1 Queen Bee is not a solution.
Those employees took the job knowing their schedule was a certain way. I'd be curious to know if the others actually need or want to work those shifts, or if the complaining was just to make a point.

Just for clarification, I have not said and do not think a mom should get preferential treatment. she gets her schedule because she's been there longer, not because she's a mom.

Old 07-01-2012, 08:28 PM

18,665 posts, read 20,004,843 times
[quote=Kibbiekat;24985283]should moms not try to attend their children's conferences? school plays? so as not to inconvenience anyone else? quote]

Yes and yes-if inconvenience is the result. Choose either be a SAHM or work under the same schedules a all others. In 20 plus years, I have seen ZERO reciprocation from "moms" in the workforce. Other employees issues are EVERY bit as vital, and deserve EQUAL consideration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment