Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 05:23 PM

18,665 posts, read 20,030,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiam333 View Post
Actually I make the appointment times. I offer them times I'm available for them to come in and they choose....FROM THOSE TIMES.
I wonder if any went elsewhere unsatisfied with the hours offered. That is what I do, as a customer, if unduly constrained by the company I am bestowing my business upon. And I never bother contacting them after.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2012, 05:31 PM

6,424 posts, read 7,716,588 times
Sometimes, employees get confused about whether they work for an employer or the employer works for them.

I have years of working experience and it always creates problems when someone assumes they are so important that they can make demands and others are supposed to accomodate them. Yea, right, one demand only leads to another.

There are so many single moms out there, for a variety of reasons, that having a kid doesn't make them so special the rules don't apply. Sometimes you just have to chose between a real career or mommy track, and not make it someone else's problem.

Old 07-01-2012, 06:40 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,424,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
Sometimes, employees get confused about whether they work for an employer or the employer works for them.

I have years of working experience and it always creates problems when someone assumes they are so important that they can make demands and others are supposed to accomodate them. Yea, right, one demand only leads to another.

There are so many single moms out there, for a variety of reasons, that having a kid doesn't make them so special the rules don't apply. Sometimes you just have to chose between a real career or mommy track, and not make it someone else's problem.
There are SO many out there who don't feel this is the case. I have been in HR for a while and have actually had people tell me that someone needed to reschedule their day off because a MOTHER needed the same day off to attend something for their child. And that as the other person didn't have a child, their plans were less important.

I once had to referee with a staff. The Store Manager told all the assistant managers that they were "on call" and expected to be available to work anytime for the next 2 weeks, because her daughter-in-law was due to have her baby and she would need to leave at a moment's notice. And, when the staff complained to her, she told them that nothing they had planned could POSSIBLY be more important than the birth of a baby. It was something else.

My favorite one was the 2 people, both mother's, fighting over who should have priority when they needed the same day off for events for their children. The one said "But I NEED this day off for an event for my CHILD" the other said "So do I". Silence. They had no idea how to actually argue why their event was more important as they were so used to just "playing the mommy card" that when they were faced with someone who was also a mother, they were completely stumped. I let that fight go on longer than I should have, I admit. But the emails were SO funny.

Old 07-01-2012, 07:07 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,288,449 times
Employers often accommodate an employee, if for no other reason, so they don't have to train a new one. It isn't unheard of, and it isn't only moms.

Old 07-01-2012, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
There are SO many out there who don't feel this is the case. I have been in HR for a while and have actually had people tell me that someone needed to reschedule their day off because a MOTHER needed the same day off to attend something for their child. And that as the other person didn't have a child, their plans were less important.

I once had to referee with a staff. The Store Manager told all the assistant managers that they were "on call" and expected to be available to work anytime for the next 2 weeks, because her daughter-in-law was due to have her baby and she would need to leave at a moment's notice. And, when the staff complained to her, she told them that nothing they had planned could POSSIBLY be more important than the birth of a baby. It was something else.

My favorite one was the 2 people, both mother's, fighting over who should have priority when they needed the same day off for events for their children. The one said "But I NEED this day off for an event for my CHILD" the other said "So do I". Silence. They had no idea how to actually argue why their event was more important as they were so used to just "playing the mommy card" that when they were faced with someone who was also a mother, they were completely stumped. I let that fight go on longer than I should have, I admit. But the emails were SO funny.
should moms not try to attend their children's conferences? school plays? so as not to inconvenience anyone else? A good employee will help cover when needed, and hopefully the favor will be returned. Really, if you aren't a mom, you have no idea how important some of this stuff is.

Old 07-01-2012, 07:16 PM

3,092 posts, read 1,957,724 times
I have a real problem with using the term 'accomodating' used in this context. You people make it sound like the employer is bending over backwards and jumping through hoops just to let someone work a different schedule. That is just not true in 99% of the cases. The employees job is to turn a profit for the company, not to show up for a certain set schedule. In my opinion this type of heavy handedness has NOTHING to do with business and everything to do with control.

dys

Old 07-01-2012, 07:21 PM

I just thought of this, too. I interviewed for a job recently that was open because the current employee was going back to school. They were very clear that she had been there for years, and they would be accommodating her school schedule. I would have been job sharing, and my schedule would have been non-negotiable, totally dependent on hers. It is not unheard of to give a senior employee preference.

Old 07-01-2012, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
should moms not try to attend their children's conferences? school plays? so as not to inconvenience anyone else? A good employee will help cover when needed, and hopefully the favor will be returned. Really, if you aren't a mom, you have no idea how important some of this stuff is.
Not saying it is not important. What I AM saying is I see all the time that people expect others to put their lives on hold in order to make sure that they are available for the things their children are doing. It is NOT the responsibility of Employee A to arrange their lives, and vacations...I have seen this request made...to accommodate the child care and events of the child of Employee B.

As for the favor being returned? Not that I see. I have had people say that the requests for children always take priority. And that people who are requesting things off that are NOT child related should ALWAYS be less important than any event that is child related. Same woman who expected her staff to accommodate her request around the birth of a child also would tell her staff that their requests off were subject to be changed/denied if something came up with one of her kids or grandkids.

I am not speaking to anyone in particular when I say this....

The point I am making is that just because you have a child and need time off for the event in your child's life, your request is not AUTOMATICALLY more valid than mine. And if you want to say that doesn't happen, I can say you are wrong. I have had people ACTUALLY SAY..."but my request is for something to do with my child. So, the reason the person requested the day off before me doesn't matter as my reason is for a CHILD". Um...no. If it is important for you to be at the event of a child, I DO understand that. But I am not going to treat others as less important because their requests do not involve a CHILD.

Also, I don't need to be a mom (although I am) to be aware that just because I need a day off doesn't mean that the lives of everyone else are all of a sudden less important than mine.

Old 07-01-2012, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I just thought of this, too. I interviewed for a job recently that was open because the current employee was going back to school. They were very clear that she had been there for years, and they would be accommodating her school schedule. I would have been job sharing, and my schedule would have been non-negotiable, totally dependent on hers. It is not unheard of to give a senior employee preference.
However, if that senior employee's schedule no longer works for the needs of the business, then they an change their schedule or find another position.

Old 07-01-2012, 07:40 PM

131 posts, read 324,487 times
OP, there are some really bitter people here.

I would think with your seniority, they should be able to continue to work with you. If they drop you to part time, you MAY be eligible for unemployment benefits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment