Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 01:30 AM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times

Advertisements

I was reading a article tonight and it mentioned how one woman turned her volunteering into a job but the difference was she was already volunteering before she was laid off. So if someone is laid off and was not volunteering beforehand it makes no sense to try and do it at that point because it will take away from job seeking and cost money to travel. So it looks like it had to be something you were already doing when you were working.

Why would a person with bills to pay, rent to pay, a car to maintain even think about volunteering when they have to maintain their place of residence? Plus if they are volunteering they can't look for a job so that's another reason why it makes no sense.

Read the article below

Nonprofit volunteers-turned-staffers: 'Volunteering opened the doors' | jacksonville.com

Old 08-23-2012, 02:39 AM

24 posts, read 96,547 times
Makes sense to me. I know on here and from a couple of people in real life I've been advised to try some volunteer work, but that isn't gonna help my situation beyond giving me a bit more experience in..some field. But when I'm struggling to get by and having to try and put as much focus on finding a new job as I can, doing work without pay that requires expenses all its own (travel, eating lunch, time) seems counterproductive.

Old 08-23-2012, 03:53 AM

2,095 posts, read 3,103,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MHarris7990 View Post
Makes sense to me. I know on here and from a couple of people in real life I've been advised to try some volunteer work, but that isn't gonna help my situation beyond giving me a bit more experience in..some field. But when I'm struggling to get by and having to try and put as much focus on finding a new job as I can, doing work without pay that requires expenses all its own (travel, eating lunch, time) seems counterproductive.

I agree. Where I currently live, volunteering in my field in any capacity would require me commuting at least 20 minutes a day. On the surface it seems like good advice, and it certainly would help with business connections, but without a job to pay for gas money and other expenses such an endeavor would most definitely be counterproductive.

To the OP: I've read a few of your posts around the forums and it seems like we may be in a similar situation careerwise. We get offered tons of advice that seems sound (volunteering, internships, etc.) but in reality isn't because right now we NEED to make money in order to live!

Old 08-23-2012, 04:57 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
You can volunteer a few hours a week, how many of you can honestly say you spend from 8:00 am until 5:00 pm M-F doing absolutely nothing but looking for a job? I guarantee very few.

Bottom line, 'Volunteering opened the doors'. Do you have any other doors being opened right now? I doubt it or you wouldn't be posting on here.

Old 08-23-2012, 07:16 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,286,271 times
Volunteering is not a full time job and I think it is rather silly to think that it takes any significant amount of time away from job searching, especially in the age of internet searches and online applications. If you want to volunteer, most people can find someplace local and put in a few hours a week.

Old 08-23-2012, 07:26 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,524,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
You can volunteer a few hours a week, how many of you can honestly say you spend from 8:00 am until 5:00 pm M-F doing absolutely nothing but looking for a job? I guarantee very few.
Well then I'm that very few percentage. I spend 7 days about 12-15 hours a day looking for work...applying on the computer, networking, newspapers...researching employers....and other job search related activities.. I barely have time to eat or talk to friends on the phone.

Why? 'Cos there is no way in hell I am going to lose my apartment and end up in a tent city. I'd rather die trying to find a job.

So, I don't know.. still think volunteering is just as important as my job hunt???

I prefer to spend those few hours looking for payable work. ...know what I mean?

(Don't get me the wrong way..when I was in school, then I did volunteer..and I got course credit for it.)

Old 08-23-2012, 07:35 AM

3,652 posts, read 4,708,073 times
24 hours in a day, 168 in a week. Odds are you have an hour or two to spare for Volunteering, employed or not, jobseeking or not.

Old 08-23-2012, 07:36 AM

9,294 posts, read 14,908,083 times
Applying on the computer is about the worst thing you can do unless you have been personally invited to do so.

Look up the term "informational interview" if you want to find work.

Old 08-23-2012, 07:55 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,286,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Applying on the computer is about the worst thing you can do unless you have been personally invited to do so.

Look up the term "informational interview" if you want to find work.

And it is also the only thing you can do with a number of employers if you actually want to be considered for a job.

Old 08-23-2012, 08:12 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
Well then I'm that very few percentage. I spend 7 days about 12-15 hours a day looking for work...applying on the computer, networking, newspapers...researching employers....and other job search related activities.. I barely have time to eat or talk to friends on the phone.

Why? 'Cos there is no way in hell I am going to lose my apartment and end up in a tent city. I'd rather die trying to find a job.

So, I don't know.. still think volunteering is just as important as my job hunt???

I prefer to spend those few hours looking for payable work. ...know what I mean?

(Don't get me the wrong way..when I was in school, then I did volunteer..and I got course credit for it.)
You are one of the few. Others sleep in until noon, don't even look for work the first month after they lose a job, etc. Read their posts here on C-D. I kid you not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment