Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 02:40 PM

2 posts, read 5,012 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am currently in the middle of one of the toughest decisions of my career. I am a welder, and I've been offered a full time position with a shipyard making 22.80 per hour plus overtime @ 1.5 times that amount. This is a very stable career type opportunity includng insurance, 401k etc. On the other hand Im being harassed by an agency wanting me for the same job at the same company as a contracted employee for a 1+ year duration. The pay for the.contract work is 38 an hour and 50 an hour for overtime. Is the increase in pay worth the lack of benefits or should I just go full time and wait for advancement to make the better money? Also there is no guarantee that the full time position will be offered at any time in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2012, 02:42 PM

653 posts, read 1,803,063 times
Depends on how old you are, and how much you need the insurance. If younger I'd take the contract, as long as those dollars all go to -you- and are not split by the headhunter.

Rest assured they'll hire you later if you do a good job.

Old 09-17-2012, 02:43 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,744,223 times
I would definitely take the full time job with benefits.

The main reason is, even if the pay is lower, you do have health insurance and you won't have to deal with a middle man.

Old 09-17-2012, 08:15 PM

1,697 posts, read 3,482,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by welder84 View Post
Hi, I am currently in the middle of one of the toughest decisions of my career. I am a welder, and I've been offered a full time position with a shipyard making 22.80 per hour plus overtime @ 1.5 times that amount. This is a very stable career type opportunity includng insurance, 401k etc. On the other hand Im being harassed by an agency wanting me for the same job at the same company as a contracted employee for a 1+ year duration. The pay for the.contract work is 38 an hour and 50 an hour for overtime. Is the increase in pay worth the lack of benefits or should I just go full time and wait for advancement to make the better money? Also there is no guarantee that the full time position will be offered at any time in the future.
If you've already been offered the job directly by the employer, I'd take it. If your situation is like the one I was just in, the insurance will be much better, and having paid time off is pretty nice, too. That's quite a difference in money, but the better insurance plan alone might negate much of that difference. Good luck and congratulations on your job!

Old 09-17-2012, 08:52 PM

2 posts, read 5,012 times
I am 28 with 3 kids and a pregnant wife. I would be getting all of the money except what uncle Sam takes. And the hr woman for the company said its pretty common and natural for the contractors to hire in but like I said she cannot guarantee the position.

Old 09-18-2012, 09:46 AM

380 posts, read 1,156,107 times
Well, I'm confused as to why the contract position would pay $15.20 more per hour than the full time permanent position for the exact same job at the exact same company. There has to be some difference in the work that justifies this incredible difference in pay. Are you sure it's for the exact same job for the exact same company. Sometimes recruiters are less than honest about pay and other things in order to get you to sign on with them. Be careful and make sure you get everything in writing.

If it were me I would take the full time permanent position. It's more secure and comes with benefits. Considering you have a growing family health insurance and job security should be extremely important to you.

Good luck with whatever decision you make and remember if you go with the contract position get everything in writing before turning down the full time position.

Old 09-18-2012, 09:54 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knt1229 View Post
Well, I'm confused as to why the contract position would pay $15.20 more per hour than the full time permanent position for the exact same job at the exact same company. There has to be some difference in the work that justifies this incredible difference in pay. Are you sure it's for the exact same job for the exact same company. Sometimes recruiters are less than honest about pay and other things in order to get you to sign on with them. Be careful and make sure you get everything in writing.

If it were me I would take the full time permanent position. It's more secure and comes with benefits. Considering you have a growing family health insurance and job security should be extremely important to you.

Good luck with whatever decision you make and remember if you go with the contract position get everything in writing before turning down the full time position.
Contract is always more money than a permanent position. There are benefits to both. Personally, I would take the contract position because you can potentially owe Uncle Sam less at the end of the day. However, with children, you might want the health benefits....

Old 09-18-2012, 09:58 AM

Nah, this is normal for contract jobs. No benefits and a time limit, but top pay. It's a way for companies to 'try on' a candidate, not pay SS & WC, and to let them go with ease and no danger of affecting their UE insurance rates.

In my field (IT PM) contract pays $65-$85/hour and FT $45-$55.

Old 09-18-2012, 10:08 AM

380 posts, read 1,156,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Contract is always more money than a permanent position. There are benefits to both. Personally, I would take the contract position because you can potentially owe Uncle Sam less at the end of the day. However, with children, you might want the health benefits....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum View Post
Nah, this is normal for contract jobs. No benefits and a time limit, but top pay. It's a way for companies to 'try on' a candidate, not pay SS & WC, and to let them go with ease and no danger of affecting their UE insurance rates.

In my field (IT PM) contract pays $65-$85/hour and FT $45-$55.
Ok, I'll take you all's word for it. I'm not familiar with contract work only work thru staffing agencies. Those recruiters use the same line about "trying on an employee", but, they take a cut of the pay so the pay may actually end up being lower than the full time regular position would pay.

Old 09-18-2012, 10:15 AM

Normally they can't rig it that way, because you have a choice. Normally they negotiate a fee with the employer and do not take a cut of your pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment