Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 04:06 PM

16,375 posts, read 22,557,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post

...This is not about me this is about them setting up people...
You refuse to take responsibility for your own actions. YOU RESIGNED.

You could have taken that list calmly with a plan to quietly discuss it with another boss at a later time, when things cooled down. But you had an emotional breakdown, cried on the job, and resigned on the spot.

And you take no reponsibility for this. Not one bit.

You sound like you are still in high school and this is your first job and you have been sheltered by your parents.

Had you reacted calmly and professionally to this situation and not resigned "on the spot" , this would be a non-issue.

The fact that you won't even take an ounce of blame is very telling. Folks have terrible bosses often. They get assignments that they don't agree with. They work lots of hours and do more work than others on the team. But they don't have emotional breakdowns and resign on the spot (unless they already thought out the resignation ahead of time). This is where you screwed up. You want your job back because you really didn't want to resign. But you resigned. And you shouldn't have - EVEN given the situation that you described.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2012, 05:05 PM

810 posts, read 1,765,842 times
I think you guys are being a bit harsh on sweetbottoms. It's hard to say exactly what you would have done it that situation and how you would have reacted.
I was singled out and had to deal with a ton of bs at my last job, I knew very well the game they were playing and they wanted me to quit. I dealt with the temper tantrums by the various managers by getting up and leaving the area for a bit so that I would give myself time to calm down. If the tears were even close I got up and went to the bathroom because I was not going to let those idiots see me cry, I would never give them that satisfaction, but sometimes people can break you down and get to you no matter what.
She's in a bad spot and hopefully something good will come of this at least she'll be done with that enviroment soon and she can take some new skills to her next game and now she's a bit smarter about the games played by mgmt.

Old 10-08-2012, 05:55 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,720,737 times
I still fail to see how a checklist is a "set up". We use checklists all the time at Gap and nobody cries and quits in a hissy that I have ever seen so far. I like them so I don't forget anything.

Old 10-09-2012, 05:54 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,302,402 times
This is where you need to be..."They put another employee in my spot today as as a fill in who complained she could not get all the work done she was given and that the boss could not be found.. She said she refuses to work in that department again"...
You.....quote..."I finished all my work and his every day"
You obviously had already built up resentment, feeling like you were doing all his work.....You let the situation control your emotions. The gal that called it first day on the job will not let it get to her personally....That is where you need to be. Emotions have to be kept in check, especially if you work in public. It is the lucky few folks that can banter, joke, still get their point across and no one feels maligned that do very well in almost any job. Work on some of your communication skills. And, a heads up, some female bosses can make your boss look like a sweetheart. Good luck to you.

Last edited by JanND; 10-09-2012 at 06:06 AM.. Reason: text

Old 10-09-2012, 06:50 AM

3,418 posts, read 7,810,669 times
Thanks for posting the updates.

Here are my thoughts:

The EEOC is a waste of time unless YOU can PROVE discrimination in one of the protected classes-race, creed etc. "Hostile work enviornment" applies to sexual harassment or discrimination not workplace politics.

HR is not your friend and will not help you. They are only concerned about protecting the company from a lawsuit. I doubt anything will happen to any of the managers.

You won't get your job back no matter what. You are in an employment at-will state and on top of that, you quit.

This drama has been building since you started there-seven months ago. It concluded the other day when you quit. Trying to help other employees by talking to HR is noble but a waste of time. I know you want closure or revenge or something but you need to get away and find another job. Learning that your replacement quit only tells us you are still talking to people and are injecting yourself from the outside. This only perpetuates the drama. Whatever it says in the handbook won't help you either. I'm sure there are steps in there to resolve conflicts and you did not follow them.

I agree with sware-you need to take responsibility for your part in this. I have no doubt you were treated poorly and set up. The problem here is how YOU chose to react. You have described a meltdown and crying and other emotional outbursts have no place in the workplace. They reflect poorly on YOU, regardless of the circumstances that led up to it.

I also agree with lost and others who said take this as lesson in office politics and move on.

Old 10-09-2012, 06:54 AM

Thanks for posting the updates.

Here are my thoughts:

The EEOC is a waste of time unless YOU can PROVE discrimination in one of the protected classes-race, creed etc. "Hostile work enviornment" applies to sexual harassment or discrimination not workplace politics.

HR is not your friend and will not help you. They are only concerned about protecting the company from a lawsuit. I doubt anything will happen to any of the managers.

You won't get your job back no matter what. You are in an employment at-will state and on top of that, you quit.

This drama has been building since you started there-seven months ago. It concluded the other day when you quit. Trying to help other employees by talking to HR is noble but a waste of time. I know you want closure or revenge or something but you need to get away and find another job. Learning that your replacement quit only tells us you are still talking to people and are injecting yourself from the outside.

I agree with sware-you need to take responsibility for your part in this. I have no doubt you were treated poorly and set up. The problem here is how YOU chose to react. You have described a meltdown and crying and other emotional outbursts have no place in the workplace. They reflect poorly on YOU, regardless of the circumstances that led up to it.

I also agree with lost and others who said take this as lesson in office politics and move on.

Old 10-09-2012, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
I still fail to see how a checklist is a "set up". We use checklists all the time at Gap and nobody cries and quits in a hissy that I have ever seen so far. I like them so I don't forget anything.
In her case I believe it was.

It is documenation of tasks she did or did not do. It is another part of the paper trail.

Last edited by RMD3819; 10-09-2012 at 06:59 AM.. Reason: Spelling errors.

Old 10-09-2012, 08:02 AM

3,849 posts, read 7,986,660 times
I have been offered another job today for the same pay in a small private company (my company is over 400 employees) .. I feel confident when I go to HR telling them I will not be fighting for my job but simply came to explain my case . I was lied to and deceived by managers , the check list was an admitted set up, as RMD said, a paper trail and I'm glad I don't feel the need to go in and grovel (not that I would) for my job. I can simply tell them good bye and perhaps only ask if I can use them for a reference in the future for the good work I did do before this one incident. I had never ever been pulled aside for any disciplinary actions and was constantly praised by head bosses for my work and I think that should count for something for 7 months.

Old 10-09-2012, 08:26 AM

Quote:
I have been offered another job today for the same pay in a small private company (my company is over 400 employees) .. I feel confident when I go to HR telling them I will not be fighting for my job but simply came to explain my case . I was lied to and deceived by managers , the check list was an admitted set up, as RMD said, a paper trail and I'm glad I don't feel the need to go in and grovel (not that I would) for my job. I can simply tell them good bye and perhaps only ask if I can use them for a reference in the future for the good work I did do before this one incident. I had never ever been pulled aside for any disciplinary actions and was constantly praised by head bosses for my work and I think that should count for something for 7 months.
Good to hear this.

Move forward.

Old 10-09-2012, 10:25 AM

1,128 posts, read 3,487,685 times
Quote:
I have been offered another job today for the same pay in a small private company
That was super fast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment