Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 06:34 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,968,905 times

Advertisements

So I just came off an 11 day straight stint at work on Thursday and had Thurs and fri off. When I left work I had finished all I had and was told to leave on time because I had worked 55 hours last week. My "boss" had 3 1/2 days off in my 11 days. So I come back yesterday and I'm given a list , a check off list, that I need to do every day (mind you i've been doing my job just fine for 7 months now). I've complained twice to HR and countless times to other bosses at my job about my boss doing absolutely nothing and completely overwhelming me with all his work and mine. So I get this list and I'm livid , as if I'm 12 and can't do my job . The requirement I have to get each task checked off when completed, like a gold start for completing my assignment. I go to find the head boss who can't be found. By this time I'm in tears. My boss had presented the list to me as if stuff wasn't done before I had my days off and that now all the managers were watching me and I need to get all the work checked off. It even had an attachment to one of the other bosses email that he tried to black out on the paper.

So I can't find the head boss and by this time I'm near tears trying to get someone to help me. I find a new boss (we have 4 total in place) and he verifies that he told my boss to make that list.. I walked away and he told other employees that he was going to have a meeting with me cause I wasnt going to be a "fu&*ing rebel" He finds me he says "so thats it?" I said yep and he said "fine see ya" and walked away... I wrote my two weeks notice on the back of the paper (i've not only had issues with my boss wanting me to commit time fraud but sexual harassment issues and many others) and left crying all in all I searched 20 mins for a boss to help me. I called the manager of the kitchen later that day explained what happen and he said he would talk to HR about it being an "emotional response" but didn't know if i could come back.

Later that night I called the boss who said "see ya" and that if he" had any say I would never step foot back in that place" and he explained to me that it was part of a set up to see what I did compared to what my boss did and that he, my boss, presented it wrong and as if I was in trouble. I wasn't notified this was going to happen or else I would have gladly played along. The boss I was on the phone with went on to say he tried to stop me and explain which is a blatent lie and 2 other people said they would be witnesses to it. He stopped me to tell me he wants a meeting with me and the kitchen manager about my non compliance. They both ended up corning me in the stairwell talking over each other while I'm crying and I walked around them and practically ran to my car at that point.

I've been part of imo a completely unethical set up. They KNEW I was barely hanging on emotionally with what has been going on and instead left it in the hands of the person who they were trying to get rid of in the first place.I had been to HR as early as last week begging to get some help and telling them the situation.

No one tried to diffuse the situation I was practically egged on with the smart mouth remarks and the boss who they were suppose to get rid of got 30 days probation for presenting it wrong to me... I have a meeting with HR on monday but was told they take 2 week notices seriously and to not expect to come back. Putting in my two week notice I hadn't expected to however finding out I've been a pawn in a game changes things for me a little. I was suppose to relocated in May out of state and they knew this it was agreed I'd stay through season and I can't help but feel they have been trying to push me out and have succeeded

Last edited by Sweetbottoms; 10-07-2012 at 06:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2012, 07:06 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,163,938 times
So look for a new job.

Old 10-07-2012, 07:24 AM

763 posts, read 2,605,914 times
Sounds like a volatile and cutthroat situation all the way around. After you calm down, you'll realize you're better off away from there.

Old 10-07-2012, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
So look for a new job.
I am currently looking however I don't appreciate how I was part of a game to get one person fired and it backfired and I was caught in the crossfire .

Old 10-07-2012, 07:31 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,749,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
So look for a new job.
I hope I don't ever become as heartless as you.

Old 10-07-2012, 07:34 AM

3,418 posts, read 7,794,273 times
Sorry to hear this SB.

I don't see how this could possibly improve for you. Workplace politics.

You quit a job you had for seven months and you would be leaving in May.

HR and managers are involved and there is a paper trail.

Season is coming-places are hiring, or will be shortly.

Old 10-07-2012, 07:35 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,234,709 times
You have to learn to keep those tears inside and turn them into assertiveness. Tears in the work place are seen as weakness, not fair but it is the reality. Talk to HR...or talk to the Dept. of Labor....Advocate for yourself, in life you are the only one who will really ever be looking out for You. Get some courses online about assertiveness and office politics...it will help you long term. I'm sorry that you feel you were attacked, hope you get some resolution. It doesn't sound like a healthy work environment to me. You really may be better off in another job.

Old 10-07-2012, 08:43 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,502,666 times
You are too emotional. You were walking around the workplace in tears or near-tears???? Then you are upset and "on the spot" decide to write 2 weeks notice without even taking time to think it over??

Here is how you should have handled it.

1)TEARS: If you are so emotional that you are in tears or near-tears. You hide this from everyone and you get yourself to the restroom and you go into the stall and get yourself together quietly. If you are too upset to continue the day, you professionally and calmly go home sick. Tell your manager you are vomiting and need to go home sick now.

2) 2 WEEK NOTICE: Don't ever give a resignation/2 week notice "on a whim". If you are upset, you never make this choice immediately. You think about this over night or think about it over a longer period of time. As you consider resigning, you come up with alternatives and long-range plans (Maybe you try to transfer to another manager rather than resign, maybe you decide to find another job before you resign, etc.)

You are without a job because YOU chose to resign. Sounds like you are not taking responsibility for your action(blaming it on a "set up" and not on your emotional over-reaction. ) YOU got emotional and decided to resign without thinking things over. I bet you never do this again. You just learned a lesson the hard way.

Last edited by sware2cod; 10-07-2012 at 08:51 AM..

Old 10-07-2012, 10:01 AM

639 posts, read 1,965,325 times
You were given a checklist of job duties, were hugely offended, cried throughout all this, and wandered around looking for a boss to help you because you couldn't do the items on the checklist (the job tasks of your boss, I assume, since you claim to have been doing his job for him). I can understand why they fired you. They proved you were lying about doing the boss's job for him (since you couldn't do the checklist) and you are emotionally unstable. An adult should not burst into tears upon being given a checklist. You need help, maybe for anxiety, maybe depression, to be able to function normally.

Old 10-07-2012, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee188 View Post
You were given a checklist of job duties, were hugely offended, cried throughout all this, and wandered around looking for a boss to help you because you couldn't do the items on the checklist (the job tasks of your boss, I assume, since you claim to have been doing his job for him). I can understand why they fired you. They proved you were lying about doing the boss's job for him (since you couldn't do the checklist) and you are emotionally unstable. An adult should not burst into tears upon being given a checklist. You need help, maybe for anxiety, maybe depression, to be able to function normally.
Wrong re-read it before you make yourself look like a fool again.. I absolutely could do the checklist.. I was presented the list as if I was in trouble from MY boss... The other boss who set up the entire thing made this as a set up for MY boss to get him fired for not doing his job, he infact admitted I was part of the set up. I was a pawn in the whole deal. THe point was to have me do the check-list, which I had always done, plus all of my bosses work then they were going to pull my boss aside and ask him what he's doing if I'm doing all of his work..However their plan failed because MY boss was suppose to present it as a check list for myself and him to do, he instead presented it as a checklist only for me and told me it was because all eyes were on the department and they weren't happy with what was going on.. NOT KNOWING it was him they were up happy with however he turned it , as NOT planned by them, to make me the one who was in trouble .....He had other peoples names on the checklist that he tried to black out but you could see through and it was fowarding e-mails of the list to other bosses.. I had to go to the other bosses and get a check-mark by each task.. as told by my boss.. I later found out this was not how it was suppose to be at all and now how it was discussed with him..

I was completely made to believe i was in trouble for things I had not done was was going to be written up. I actually got a hold of the very head boss today who said he never did not know of any set up and that the other boss never should have said that and that everything they've done is completely out of line.

As far as the "tears" excuse me for being so upset over a situation. I hope we can all grow up to be as big a man as you one day ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment