Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 05:37 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,850,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KABurke View Post
Their fees are too high now. The initial start-up $$$ is risky because what happens if the item doesn't sell? You either re-list (which involves another fee) or are stuck with it. Same thing as selling something with a reserve on it. Only option is Buy It Now and if the buyer uses it, you're OK. I have a friend whose son was an avid eBay seller in the early 2000's for several years. Earned enough to buy a house. I don't think that's the case anymore. Too many eBay "stores" and not enough individual sellers.
Everybody and their aunt is "Ebaying" nowadays. I agree that the fees are retardedly high. Then Paypal takes another cut, so you are left with hardly anything. Ebay is for the birds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2012, 05:51 PM

763 posts, read 2,606,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
Everybody and their aunt is "Ebaying" nowadays. I agree that the fees are retardedly high. Then Paypal takes another cut, so you are left with hardly anything. Ebay is for the birds.
I've had better luck selling items on Craigslist. Sell locally and no shipping charges.

Old 10-08-2012, 11:31 PM

571 posts, read 1,202,379 times
I've been both a buyer and a seller on Ebay.

As a seller, I had an Ebay store that did very well. Lots of buyers, nice bidding wars. Today, there seem to be less buyers and the fees got so high I don't bother selling anymore.

As a buyer, I used to get awesome deals. Now, Ebay is flooded with sellers based in China. Prices are not as great as they used to be (and products are not as unique and varied).

Old 10-08-2012, 11:58 PM

192 posts, read 256,692 times
i dislike how you can't set your own shipping and handling price. I used to sell cheap ($1-$10) coins a lot, and I would make much of my money off the 'handling' fee I'd charge but now I can't do that so I always lose money when I sell small coins now. I don't really sell very often there anymore. Ebay imo is no longer lucrative for making a profit, it's only for selling something you own when you're in desperate need for cash.

Old 10-09-2012, 12:15 AM

1,128 posts, read 3,483,706 times
There is a guest who comes to Target about once a month to stock up on all the clearance items and then sells them on Amazon. He was also able to obtain a tax-free account for resale, which saves him a lot of money.

Old 10-09-2012, 02:22 AM

1,320 posts, read 3,705,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
"Full time," as in, you will put in 40 hours a week? For $20,000? You know that's less than $10 an hour, right?

I have sold a few things on ebay but it's always been "rare" items, e.g. dolls from my childhood that a lot of other people seem to want as well. It seems to me to be a very competitive marketplace for certain things -- e.g., I'll do a search and see that a dozen sellers are selling the exact same thing, which they clearly are getting from the same distributor/manufacturer. I always wonder about the sellers who are on the high end -- whom do they sell to? People who don't do searches and see that they are charging more?
Well, actually I meant as an only job, maybe not 40 hours. Perhaps 25-30 a week. Seems one could go to garage sales and estate sales and maybe make this without too much difficulty? Or possibly buy some good deals online or at a big sale at retail, and relisting for a small profit.Not trying to get rich quick, or at all.

Old 10-09-2012, 02:40 AM

3,437 posts, read 6,079,689 times
I know people that do very well selling on EBay, far majority of the products are NEW.

Old 10-09-2012, 07:06 AM

404 posts, read 1,148,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KABurke View Post
I've had better luck selling items on Craigslist. Sell locally and no shipping charges.
Craigslist is good if you have a high demand item like an iPad. You can sell it for the same price you'd sell it for on ebay. BUT if you have a rare collectors item like a 1954 Barbie, you will definitely get wayyy more on eBay.

Then other downside to Craigslist is privacy and security. When I used to buy and sell iphones on Craigslist, I ran into many SKETCHY folks. I stopped because I was afraid if I'd eventually be robbed in a transaction. But it also depends on the stuff you sell, if you're selling furniture it's rare someone will scam you over a couch.

Old 10-09-2012, 07:21 AM

404 posts, read 1,148,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdcdguy View Post
Is it possible to buy items, say clothes on EBAY and resell for a small profit? I guess if you knew what was a really good deal you could do this. Is this what some of you do? Are there other auction sites I should check out? Would it be horribly difficult to make 20k a year selling on Ebay as a little guy if doing it full time?
I've sold alot of clothes on eBay but you have to know what you're selling. Is it a rare piece? is it a HOT exclusive brand? Most important is the price you are paying a steal in comparison to how much it will sell for? Good places to find clothes to sell are outlet stores and discount stores like TJ Maxx.

You can sell ANYTHING on eBay for a profit, you just have to know about the items you're selling. You can't just grab a pair of levi's on sale at JC Penny and expect to make a profit on ebay. EVERY store sells levi's and you'll most likely lose money because of fees.

Old 10-09-2012, 08:13 AM

531 posts, read 2,900,741 times
I tried this last year. I would watch Amazon when they were having one day sales and buy whatever it was that I thought I could easily re-sell--so something that would be easy to ship, mass appeal, etc. I would buy whatever it was, then list it on Ebay for more. I only tried 2 items--one, a hot video game that I found for sale online. I bought it for $22.50, listed it on Ebay for $34.99. So, $12.50 profit. After shipping and Ebay fees, I made $2. Another was a DVD box set of a popular tv show. I bought it for $77.99, listed it on Ebay for $99.99. In that case, $22 profit. After shipping & Ebay fees, I think I broke even or even lost a buck or two. Ebay fees were $10+.

I still wonder if there is potential in doing this--the 2 items I listed sold quickly. I just didn't sell them for enough to cover the shipping & fees. Part of the problem was I was trying to be competitive with the other prices for the same product currently for sale. I could have listed them for more but I don't know that they would have sold. And if I listed them for more, the Ebay fees would have been higher anyway. So it seems like the opportunity is pretty minimal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment