Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 09:51 PM

681 posts, read 618,849 times

Advertisements

bump
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2012, 10:22 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,847,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandate_of_Heaven View Post

Also, I have another question. Would my jobs opportunities have been different if I would have gotten a degree in political science instead?
Most poli-sci students end up waiting tables for a living at best. I have a friend who graduated four years ago with a political science degree, and he has lived with his parents all of this time unemployed, and just recently found a gig volunteering for a congressman's campaign.

My advice for you? Go to law school, or get a masters degree in something useful that will bring in the money like engineering, accounting, or computer science.

A BA in History/English/Political Science, etc. alone will get you nowhere.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:44 PM

29,835 posts, read 24,927,606 times
A BA in history will serve as a wonderfully expensive place mat at your parent's dinner table... Sorry, just had to crack a joke!

I would imagine it would be best served chasing some sort of government job. You can always run for county positions like commissioner or treasurer. That's a relatively common entry point into politics. Just be prepared to sell your soul before you actually move up.

Old 11-03-2012, 01:44 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,782,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandate_of_Heaven View Post

Also, I have another question. Would my jobs opportunities have been different if I would have gotten a degree in political science instead?
I have a Poli Sci degree (was planning on law school but decided against it). It hasn't done me a single bit of good, and I live near Washington, D.C. I can't compete with Ph.Ds, law degrees, and masters for government or non-profit jobs.

I have a job now in an industry I like, but it doesn't pay nearly enough to cover my expenses and it's completely unrelated to my degree.

Old 11-03-2012, 05:22 PM

737 posts, read 1,149,630 times
Better off with a polical science degree? A political science degree AND all of your free time(since high school) volunteering with a local political party, kissing the but of every politician you come into contact with, latching onto an up and comer that may remember you and that wins election, AND a dad that knows a lot of powerful people.

Old 11-03-2012, 06:23 PM

2,135 posts, read 5,491,665 times
With a degree in history, you could work as a town or military base historian. You could also specialize in a certain area, and advise The History Channel on special projects and stuff like that.

Old 11-03-2012, 06:30 PM

1,757 posts, read 5,140,172 times
My b.a. is in history. I graduated and worked retail, waited tables, taught 9th grade math and coached lacrosse, was laid off and fell into a broadcasting position traveling with Indycar and now work in real estate and working on an m.s. at Hopkins.

So my degree has really been worthless.

Old 11-03-2012, 07:22 PM

2,341 posts, read 2,673,409 times
Many if not most non-profits do fund raising. And they hire development officers (fundraisers). And they get paid very decent salaries. Some Non-profits don't pay great but there are many other places that pay well. If you are a people person this might be good area to look into.

These development jobs are more than just "can I please have some money?". They are dealing with High Dollar donors that have disposable income, and are sometimes looking for a place to donate.

Old 11-03-2012, 09:59 PM

681 posts, read 618,849 times
@fiyero- what job did you end of getting? I don't mind not working in the industry that I got my degree in as long as its something I like and can make a decent salary

@jodipper- thats good to know, i thought that people just looked down on those with just History degrees since History is considered an "easy major"

@davecj - how do you end up teaching math if your major was in History? Did you have a math minor? I won't say that your degree was a total waste because if you ended up working for a broadcasting job, a lot of those jobs want people with degrees I would think.

@Newport- I am interested in non profits, that would be ideal for me.

I basically have to choose between going back to major in something a little more practical this time, go for a masters in education so I don't have to be a teacher for too long(2 yrs min in my state) or do nothing. I think going back for a second bachelors would be ideal, too many people are looking down on people with masters now.

Old 11-06-2012, 06:19 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,773,520 times
you could get a job doing just about anything...

Just look at job listings requiring only a generic bachelors degree and then apply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment