Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 09:46 PM

681 posts, read 619,970 times

Advertisements

I graduated a few years ago with a bachelor's in History and I was told that there were jobs that did not require a specific degree. I would really like to do non profit work and I was wondering if that did not work out, what other types of work could I do? I was also wondering since Political Science and History are sort of related, if they offer the same types of employment options in the real world. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2012, 07:25 AM

3,111 posts, read 8,068,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandate_of_Heaven View Post
I graduated a few years ago with a bachelor's in History and I was told that there were jobs that did not require a specific degree. I would really like to do non profit work and I was wondering if that did not work out, what other types of work could I do? I was also wondering since Political Science and History are sort of related, if they offer the same types of employment options in the real world. Thanks.
There are some out there that only require a specific degree, but the positions do require specific skills. So it really depends on what else you can offer an employer.

Old 11-01-2012, 08:58 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,230,304 times
BA in History? good for serving coffee

Old 11-01-2012, 09:19 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,900,343 times
Quote:

Depending on how little you're willing to earn and how willing you are to relocate, there are always jobs available.

Why did you major in history? What were your intentions when you started college? What did you envision you'd be doing after you graduated. I'm curious to know. (For example, Some people fully intend on law school or to remain in academia.)

Old 11-01-2012, 09:24 AM

2,982 posts, read 9,850,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
BA in History? good for serving coffee
History?? you can always take it to the bathroom just in case there's no toilet paper...

Old 11-01-2012, 09:38 AM

3,426 posts, read 8,925,191 times
If you are friendly and good with people- sales positions will take any degree as long as you have the motivation and personality.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:36 AM

156 posts, read 313,822 times
Quote:
Non-profit jobs....lol...where to start...

If you want meaningful work(ie; not doing generic tasks; same as any for-profit company) your competition is fierce for the "good" charity jobs. Every IVY-league goody two shoes wants to do a few years in these jobs before working at Goldman or marrying a banker.

Non-profit is very broad....do you mean social services like counseling, charity or NGO type stuff?

I used to teach public schools; it's not like serving the public makes you feel like a hero every morning. Why do so many people want to work non-profit?!?! Same workplace but less money. Instead of getting fired to improve the bottom line you'll get fired because funding losses.

EDIT: history = zero help. Having a background in some social science or education will help.

For NGOs something with Medical or Engineering is a big plus. Years of volunteer experience is also a big help.

Last edited by udonsoup; 11-01-2012 at 10:53 AM..

Old 11-01-2012, 10:42 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,315,014 times
Do you write well?

Old 11-01-2012, 11:23 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,613,715 times
Ever consider working overseas teaching English?

Old 11-01-2012, 09:27 PM

681 posts, read 619,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Depending on how little you're willing to earn and how willing you are to relocate, there are always jobs available.

Why did you major in history? What were your intentions when you started college? What did you envision you'd be doing after you graduated. I'm curious to know. (For example, Some people fully intend on law school or to remain in academia.)
Honestly at my school, it said that you could find a job with that degree and not necessarily in academia. My intention was to get a degree in something that I liked and then hopefully start a career in non profit or find a job that would not require a specific degree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by udonsoup View Post
Non-profit jobs....lol...where to start...

If you want meaningful work(ie; not doing generic tasks; same as any for-profit company) your competition is fierce for the "good" charity jobs. Every IVY-league goody two shoes wants to do a few years in these jobs before working at Goldman or marrying a banker.

Non-profit is very broad....do you mean social services like counseling, charity or NGO type stuff?

I used to teach public schools; it's not like serving the public makes you feel like a hero every morning. Why do so many people want to work non-profit?!?! Same workplace but less money. Instead of getting fired to improve the bottom line you'll get fired because funding losses.

EDIT: history = zero help. Having a background in some social science or education will help.

For NGOs something with Medical or Engineering is a big plus. Years of volunteer experience is also a big help.
I guess it would be something like that, working at NGO's would be a good idea. I would rather non profit than teaching because working with kids is horrible here. They don't respect teachers and have a victim mentality and don't want to do the work. When you say to have a background in a social science I am confused as History is considered a humanitry and a social science. When you say a back ground in education, do you mean a masters in education?

Also, I have another question. Would my jobs opportunities have been different if I would have gotten a degree in political science instead?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment