Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 08:20 AM

30,300 posts, read 23,784,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
Hard work can be overrated. IMO, if you can find a job that allows you to do what you like, then you've got it made, and you're actually pretty smart. As a freelance writer, I read and write on the job... and those are two of the things that I like to do most! So yes, you can be paid for sitting on your butt, reading. And actually, people are willing to pay a lot for that sort of thing! You could become a book reviewer or a proofreader and get paid to read all day long. Or maybe (and I'm not sure if this is the case) working in a nursing home or group home during the overnight hours? I'm sure you have to make rounds and prepare things for the morning, but I imagine that there's a lot of downtime.

Whether you can read as a box office attendant, though, depends on the venue as well as what they allow. Before applying for a position, you could visit the box office and simply ask the person working there if they have a lot of downtime, and what they can do with it.

Good luck!
Readingtime is kind of growing on me. At first I was annoyed that he/she just wanted to read and get paid for that but hey...you know what? Why not?! If someone is willing to pay them to read, good for them! Besides, they are very persistent in finding a job that allows them to read...I have to admire persistence.

Great suggestions, AnotherTouch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2012, 12:13 PM

15,130 posts, read 32,358,765 times
here are so many people out of work that not only want to work, and haven't been able to find a job, that his posts are totally ridiculous. I think ReadingTime is just a deadbeat who wants to get paid for doing nothing.

I work security and I don't (and can't) read on the job, and the same for when I was an Administrative Assistant. I never had a job where I could read, and would never dream of doing it. I'm hired to do a job, and I do it.

Old 11-05-2012, 11:23 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,488,614 times
ReadingTime is hilarious! I've never heard of someone so obsessed with reading. At first I was annoyed; but, now, it's just funny.

Old 11-05-2012, 11:43 AM

12,110 posts, read 23,315,548 times
Having the time to read and being allowed to read are not the same thing.

Old 11-27-2012, 08:50 PM

65 posts, read 253,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YaFace View Post
Become a security guard or work night shift. This might also be extreme, but when I was in Iraq, a lot of the contractors had lots of downtime to read on the job. Security was easily the most freetime I ever had to do stuff.
What were the tasks of the contractors in their working time?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment