Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 04:07 PM

65 posts, read 253,435 times

Advertisements

Somebody wrote in here What Part/Full-Time Jobs Allow Lots of Reading Time? - job free time | Ask MetaFilter
that box office attendant have lots of free time. Can anyone share their experiences with being a box office attendant?
Quote:
Seconding box office attendant - during the day. Especially Mon-Fri. Even in a multiplex, the crowds are usually very sparse. An additional bonus is free movies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2012, 07:57 PM

15,130 posts, read 32,355,658 times
When you work as a box office attendant, you don't have time to read, you're selling tickets. Also, box offices normally have more than one employee inside of it, so you can talk to someone. Again, you're not hired on a job to read. Even if you work in a library, you don't read on the job.

I guess you just don't understand that there are thousands of people that are willing to work, and they don't ask if they can read on the job!

Old 11-02-2012, 08:33 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,578,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadingTime View Post
Somebody wrote in here What Part/Full-Time Jobs Allow Lots of Reading Time? - job free time | Ask MetaFilter
that box office attendant have lots of free time. Can anyone share their experiences with being a box office attendant?

You will have plenty of free time for doing whatever you want when you become a corpse. In the meantime, how about applying yourself to an actual situation where you actually contribute something to a job besides your presence and a book. In America, we don't sit on our asses and "read" while there is work to be done. How arrogant of you to think that you shouldn't have to apply yourself and yet expect to receive a paycheck and benefits for showing up. Get a freakin' life and quit posting your asinine crap. Jeez already....

Old 11-02-2012, 10:22 PM

1,412 posts, read 4,487,949 times
If you want to read so much, how about be a proofreader for a publishing company?

Old 11-03-2012, 12:43 PM

15,130 posts, read 32,355,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFoulke View Post
You will have plenty of free time for doing whatever you want when you become a corpse. In the meantime, how about applying yourself to an actual situation where you actually contribute something to a job besides your presence and a book. In America, we don't sit on our asses and "read" while there is work to be done. How arrogant of you to think that you shouldn't have to apply yourself and yet expect to receive a paycheck and benefits for showing up. Get a freakin' life and quit posting your asinine crap. Jeez already....
Great idea!

Old 11-03-2012, 01:22 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,641 posts, read 81,333,263 times
There are not many jobs where they pay you to sit around reading all day. Maybe draw-bridge operator.

Old 11-03-2012, 07:11 PM

2,135 posts, read 5,493,092 times
Become a security guard or work night shift. This might also be extreme, but when I was in Iraq, a lot of the contractors had lots of downtime to read on the job. Security was easily the most freetime I ever had to do stuff.

Old 11-04-2012, 01:47 AM

26,701 posts, read 41,779,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
There are not many jobs where they pay you to sit around reading all day. Maybe draw-bridge operator.
Or a toll booth operator on I-64 in West Virginia. I've been the only car going through the booth at any time on several occasions, so I'd bet they have a lot of free time.

Old 11-04-2012, 01:53 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,257,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFoulke View Post

BRAVOOOOOOOO!!

GREAT POST

Our politicians should be saying this...too

Old 11-04-2012, 05:31 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,735,546 times
Hard work can be overrated. IMO, if you can find a job that allows you to do what you like, then you've got it made, and you're actually pretty smart. As a freelance writer, I read and write on the job... and those are two of the things that I like to do most! So yes, you can be paid for sitting on your butt, reading. And actually, people are willing to pay a lot for that sort of thing! You could become a book reviewer or a proofreader and get paid to read all day long. Or maybe (and I'm not sure if this is the case) working in a nursing home or group home during the overnight hours? I'm sure you have to make rounds and prepare things for the morning, but I imagine that there's a lot of downtime.

Whether you can read as a box office attendant, though, depends on the venue as well as what they allow. Before applying for a position, you could visit the box office and simply ask the person working there if they have a lot of downtime, and what they can do with it.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment