Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 12:38 PM

7 posts, read 41,020 times

Advertisements

Hi, what career sites allow me to apply to jobs without filling out information? For my college website( the one I used to use) , I can upload my resume just once and then click apply to every job posting I come across. Other sites simply have a link in which I have to fill out info at the employers website. I don't have the time to do that. I prefer to apply to 20+ jobs in less than an hour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 01:19 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,677,860 times
Monster?
Indeed?
Careerbuilder?

Most companies have pulled away from this model, because they use in-house applicant tracking systems, which do not always interface well with the way they aggregate information from the above mentioned sites.

Your best bet is always to apply directly to the company's website, write a cover letter directed at the company you're applying to, etc.

Sounds kind of lazy, not the best way to get started.

Moderator cut: see note

Last edited by Count David; 11-07-2012 at 07:13 AM.. Reason: handled

Old 11-05-2012, 01:46 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,922,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pineapplesauce View Post
Hi, what career sites allow me to apply to jobs without filling out information? For my college website( the one I used to use) , I can upload my resume just once and then click apply to every job posting I come across. Other sites simply have a link in which I have to fill out info at the employers website. I don't have the time to do that. I prefer to apply to 20+ jobs in less than an hour.
This is a great way to never get a job. The only jobs that bite on mass-applications are typically semi-scams anyways. Most every job listing I have seen requires a cover letter as well, and trust me it is clear as day which cover letters are actually tailored to the job posting and which are basically just "mail merged" to fit the posting.

Old 11-05-2012, 02:23 PM

I know. But I prefer to not have to fill out my previous jobs titles multiple times. It's already on the resume! But companies still require you to fill it out. Since everyone has to fill these out thousands of times, the economy would be more efficient if people just emailed out resumes and cover letters would it not?

Sorry for venting. This job application process has taken a lot out of me. I have also easily lost hundreds in gas alone just going to interviews.

Old 11-05-2012, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pineapplesauce View Post
I know. But I prefer to not have to fill out my previous jobs titles multiple times. It's already on the resume! But companies still require you to fill it out. Since everyone has to fill these out thousands of times, the economy would be more efficient if people just emailed out resumes and cover letters would it not?

Sorry for venting. This job application process has taken a lot out of me. I have also easily lost hundreds in gas alone just going to interviews.
No, because that is not how the hiring process works, these days - its all digital.

Your resume, in its current format, is not even read until you're actually scheduled for an interview with an hiring manager, maybe while sourcing candidates, but only after the other questions you've answered online have met a companies criteria. You need to fill out the company's online 'questionnaire' to get into their database, and then digitally be selected, before you have any change of a human looking at your resume - at least at any company using an ATS.

I hate to be blunt, but if you've wasted 'hundreds' in gas driving to interviews, and you don't have a job yet, I'm not sure if you've pinpointed the problem yet ....

Old 11-05-2012, 02:55 PM

I just don't know what it is. Maybe I'm socially retarded. I was diagnosed with pretty bad social anxiety and other mental disorders like ADHD. I am social but I'm not at the point where I can confidently pass interviews. Should I give up? I don't really have the money to keep going like this. I could keep going to interviews, but then that cuts into my food expenses which are dwendling at this point.

Old 11-05-2012, 03:09 PM

It seems like you're getting in the room with interviewers. And then not getting hired.

Your problem does not seem to be the route you're taking to apply to jobs, it seems to be whats happening between you and the interviewer.

Have you ever done a mock interview? Read interview tips? Practiced with friends/family? Met with anyone professional?

What kinds of jobs are you applying for? What is you background? What kind of feedback are you getting when you leave interviews? When you are turned down for jobs?

If you don't keep going to interviews, you will not get a job, seems pretty simple. Time to address the problem, not just keep blindly applying for jobs.

Old 11-05-2012, 03:55 PM

8,443 posts, read 13,571,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
Monster?
Indeed?
Careerbuilder?

Most companies have pulled away from this model, because they use in-house applicant tracking systems, which do not always interface well with the way they aggregate information from the above mentioned sites.

Your best bet is always to apply directly to the company's website, write a cover letter directed at the company you're applying to, etc.

Sounds kind of lazy, not the best way to get started.

Also, Los Angeles content?
x2. The easier it is for you to find and apply, the easier it is for boat load of other people looking for jobs to find and apply! When yours is like 1394th out of 1828 resumes an employer received during the duration of the posting, what makes you think your will even make the 1st cut (yes, there are multiple cuts during the candidate elimination process)?

I don't believe in the shotgun method unless you think you are super lucky. In this market, you are much better of applying at a half a dozen well researched and fitting positions within reasonable commuting distance than applying at 20+ jobs in an hour where your application would probably not be read and when a few places read it (if ever), it would be weeks if not months down the line.

If you do not want to make a plan and visit the web sites of each and every company that would would like to work at, then this may sound odd but besides Indeed, your best bet is to use a web search engine using your last title plus a variation on the words "hiring", "opening", "new", etc.

Old 11-05-2012, 04:07 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,922,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
It seems like you're getting in the room with interviewers. And then not getting hired.

Your problem does not seem to be the route you're taking to apply to jobs, it seems to be whats happening between you and the interviewer.

Have you ever done a mock interview? Read interview tips? Practiced with friends/family? Met with anyone professional?

What kinds of jobs are you applying for? What is you background? What kind of feedback are you getting when you leave interviews? When you are turned down for jobs?

If you don't keep going to interviews, you will not get a job, seems pretty simple. Time to address the problem, not just keep blindly applying for jobs.
^^^ That's kind of my problem too. I got a couple of interview while I looked for jobs but never really got offers (obviously except for the job I have now). I can tell you this - sometimes the only way to get better at interviews is to actually have them and fail a few times. I became much better at interviews by the time I got to my 9th or 10th interview. Another reason that you may get interviews but not jobs is just because of the jobs climate in general. There is just so much competition that any little thing you do could disqualify you, and it seems it can range from legitimate to outrageously petty.

Old 11-09-2012, 05:47 PM

I'm running on my reserves now. Soon I will run out of money completely. I just don't see how I can make major improvements in such a short amount of time. Oh well..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment