Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 11:29 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,329,781 times

Advertisements

between being around a loudmouth yapper at work and a smoker, i'll take the smoker
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 11:29 AM

2,727 posts, read 6,173,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Tell them you started smoking.
Believe it or not, it doesn't fly with my boss. Well, he is the boss of our whole office, but I have one supervisor (my boss's wife) and the guys in the back of the office have another supervisor. Different supervisors = different rules, even though we have the same boss. And whatever the supervisor says (in my case, boss's wife) is what goes.

Go figure.

Old 11-07-2012, 11:33 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,282,835 times
At the end of the day unless it was directly impacting my performance/work day it just doesn't bother me. I learned a long time ago life isn't fair.

Old 11-07-2012, 12:55 PM

2,727 posts, read 6,173,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
At the end of the day unless it was directly impacting my performance/work day it just doesn't bother me. I learned a long time ago life isn't fair.
I learned that too, and if it's not affecting me I don't care either. But sometimes I am waiting on something from one of those people, so in that case it DOES affect me.

That's why I find it appalling that the company doesn't care to enforce their own policy. Because when you think about it, it actually affects the company if I can't get my work out on time because person A is too busy taking multiple smoke breaks and not getting me the work *I* need to get *my* work and out of the building.

Old 11-07-2012, 02:59 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,437,455 times
The minute I miss a deadline at work due to my smoke breaks, I'll reconsider quitting.

Until then, get off my back and leave me alone about it.

Old 11-07-2012, 04:07 PM

72 posts, read 225,363 times
The thing that bugs me the most is the smell. I couldn't care less about my co-workers going out every 5 minutes because it doesn't affect me if they don't get their work done, but when they come back into the building and want to come into my office and talk to me about this or that, I have to try to hold my breath because the smell is so bad. They must somehow be oblivious to this fact and obviously it's not something you can really bring up, but just the smell of smoke on someone's clothes is enough to make my throat burn for days. I'd agree with making smokers pay more for their health insurance, I don't want the costs of their toxic habit to be passed on to me. Granted, I've never smoked and so I guess I'll never really "get it," but you'd think that if the person cared about themselves at all (or had anyone in their life that cared about them), they would use any of the hundreds smoking cessation products to try to stop. It's disgusting and it hurts the people around you. Maybe one day they'll have a "decontamination station" at the office for smokers to go through when they come back in. I'd pay a little more to put one of those in any day.

Old 11-07-2012, 04:17 PM

8,953 posts, read 20,741,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I do not smoke. But I work with two people who do...and it is driving me crazy. They are always missing when work needs to be done...out for a smoke break...like, being a smoker entitles a person to work less? And they come back, reeking of cigarette smoke. It is nauseating to me.

I actually agree with laws not hiring smokers...

Trend: employers refuse to hire smokers | Broward County Employment Law Attorney Blog
Speak with your supervisor about the situation. He/she may limit smoke breaks to a rigid time table twice a day.

As to the smoke that clings to clothing. Bring in a really strong air freshener that you put up on your desk when they come in your area. A silent but very effective clue TO THEM that "you stink like cigarettes"!!

Now mind you I smoke a pipe and have for decades. That said, I'm VERY careful not offend others. Pipe smokers ,in general, are more considerate of others so we keep our hobby to ourselves.

Old 11-07-2012, 05:01 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,437,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily2204 View Post
The thing that bugs me the most is the smell. I couldn't care less about my co-workers going out every 5 minutes because it doesn't affect me if they don't get their work done, but when they come back into the building and want to come into my office and talk to me about this or that, I have to try to hold my breath because the smell is so bad. They must somehow be oblivious to this fact and obviously it's not something you can really bring up, but just the smell of smoke on someone's clothes is enough to make my throat burn for days. I'd agree with making smokers pay more for their health insurance, I don't want the costs of their toxic habit to be passed on to me. Granted, I've never smoked and so I guess I'll never really "get it," but you'd think that if the person cared about themselves at all (or had anyone in their life that cared about them), they would use any of the hundreds smoking cessation products to try to stop. It's disgusting and it hurts the people around you. Maybe one day they'll have a "decontamination station" at the office for smokers to go through when they come back in. I'd pay a little more to put one of those in any day.
Long as fat people have to pay more too.

Old 11-07-2012, 06:23 PM

8,239 posts, read 10,770,420 times
It all balances out one way or another. When I smoked and worked in the office (quit and work from home now), my non-smokers were notorious for rolling in right at 8:30 (shift starts at 8:30) putting their stuff down and heading to the cafeteria. By the time they got their food, ate and bs'ed it was 9:30am. I did allow it because all I cared about was the end result (getting the work done). My point was that is all balances out.

Old 11-07-2012, 08:09 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,566,451 times
Shocking as it may seem to some, there are people who LIKE the smell of tobacco. In fact, there are scented candles that seek to emulate that particular scent for just that reason. They're usually pretty pricey, too!

Then, of course, there are some who find ANY scent off putting: perfume, hair spray, scented deodorant, BO - there's no way to win with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment