Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 10:00 AM

1,111 posts, read 1,324,354 times

Advertisements

Let me start by saying I couldn't care less if you choose to smoke. That's on you...usually.

I work at an office building where there are very strict rules about the amount of perfume or cologne a person is allowed to wear. Basically, if someone complains about it, it's too much! This was in the employee manual. A guy who used to work here was actually confronted about his BO and was told to bring a stick of deodorant with him to work. These are all considered acceptable means by which the employer can try to make things comfortable and the air fresh and breathable inside the office.

Yet, the only thing done about smokers is that they have to go outside to smoke their cigarettes.

The problem of course is that, especially for some reason as it gets colder, that stench of smoke doesn't leave them at the door, it comes into the office. Then people like me who don't smoke have to smell that garbage linger in the air.

The smoke breaks outside are getting pretty ridiculous, if most employees are seen away from their desk or offices talking on their cell phones multiple times a day the bosses would get pissed, but a smoker can get up and go outside and chat on their cell several times a day and no one says anything.

Has anyone here done anything to effectively take care of these problems? The biggest issue for me is the smell, but outside of telling people they can't smoke at work period (which I would not have a problem with) I can't think of anything that would eliminate this disgusting issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2013, 10:04 AM

2,533 posts, read 4,602,805 times
My employer doesn't hire smokers.

Easier said than done I know... but that's his policy. AFAIK it's not discriminatory either.

His reasons are in addition to the smell you have to deal with all the time wasted due to "smoke breaks."

Old 11-26-2013, 10:04 AM

1,420 posts, read 3,184,591 times
It's not worth the hassle to fight it. It's probably not in my top 69 workplace concerns.

You'll probably make more enemies than friends. And, if you bring it up to HR, they are liable to eliminate the "problem" by eliminating you because your complaining is their "problem".

Old 11-26-2013, 10:25 AM

1,111 posts, read 1,324,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post

Easier said than done I know... but that's his policy. AFAIK it's not discriminatory either.

His reasons are in addition to the smell you have to deal with all the time wasted due to "smoke breaks."
That makes sense. And I agree with you it's not discrimination at all. Although I do think it would be easier to simply tell them that they are not allowed to smoke in doors, and if they smell at smoke after one of their 2 designated smoke breaks or at lunch, they'll be sent home without pay. That would eliminate the problem of them coming back from their smoke breaks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheektowaga_Chester View Post
It's not worth the hassle to fight it. It's probably not in my top 69 workplace concerns.

You'll probably make more enemies than friends. And, if you bring it up to HR, they are liable to eliminate the "problem" by eliminating you because your complaining is their "problem".
WOW! What a backwards world we live in, eh?

Old 11-26-2013, 10:31 AM

2,409 posts, read 1,527,483 times
Over the years I've witnessed many smokers take incredibly long smoke breaks. 1 guy went outside every hour at ten of, like clockwork. His officemate that didn't smoke use to go out there with him. I guess he kept him company.

In some offices a trip to the smoking area includes getting your coat, walking over to the elevator, taking the elevator down, walk outside, light up, smoke, chit chat with other smokers, smoke some more, walk back in, take the elevator back up, hang coat up, stop by the rest room, finally get back to their desk.

It's a massive waste of time. Best not to hire them or let the non smokers leave an hour early. Fair is fair.

Old 11-26-2013, 10:42 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,550,016 times
It takes less time to smoke than to post/read on C-D while at work.

Old 11-26-2013, 10:43 AM

390 posts, read 940,915 times
Europeans smoke more than Americans

Old 11-26-2013, 10:48 AM

6,459 posts, read 7,793,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
How do they know who is a smoker?

OP, if that's the culture of the area you're in and people are spoken with about BO and too much perfume then I don't see why anyone who brings up the odor from smoking would ruffle any feathers.

Old 11-26-2013, 10:51 AM

2,533 posts, read 4,602,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
How do they know who is a smoker?
It's a question asked during the interview.

I can't say as I blame him either... if I was a small business owner I wouldn't want people spending what amounts to an hour or more each day wasting my time taking smoke breaks... assuming they smoke every hour.

Old 11-26-2013, 11:42 AM

759 posts, read 3,144,327 times
I agree about not hiring smokers. I would like to go out for a 10 minute alcohol break or sex break!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment