Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 11:45 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,524,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dub dub II View Post
As a smoker, I wonder, is it really that bad?
I edited my post to include other information. You may wish to re-read it.

As one who smoked heavily for about 40 years and who has been a nonsmoker now for about 9 years -- yes, it really is that bad. I've been both embarrassed and ashamed at how bad I must have smelled, and how absolutely clueless I was..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2013, 12:49 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,326,891 times
Quote:
As a smoker, I wonder, is it really that bad?

Did you know that red meat makes you smell bad? It's noticeable when you stop eating it but meat eaters don't typically know...(or in my case, care...)

Should someone go into HR and be like "hey, meat eaters give off a smell i don't really like, can we stop hiring them?...after all, I find the smell offensive, as do others."

It's not the same exact thing, but the reasons why are. Why is it one case, it's acceptable..even encouraged, apparently...and in the other, it's absurd?

The "smell" that smokers bring with them is a lasting residue of the smoke the smoker just smoked (how redundant was that???)

The chemicals from cigarettes are dangerous to second hand inhalers, and in many cases (including asthmatics and people who have sensitive allergic reactions) can be instantly detrimental.

I don't eat red meat, but I don't recognize a smell that red meat eaters have, unless it's the smell of the meat while they are eating it. But even if you want to make the imaginative comparison of 'inhaling second hand smoke' with 'smelling someone's food cooking', there are no detrimental effects of breathing in odors from food, that I'm aware of.

So while you are correct in saying "It's not the same exact thing" you are wrong when you say "the reasons why are."

Old 11-27-2013, 01:10 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,681,057 times
I would respond, but frankly tobacco isn't really something I want to be defending.

I'm just saying...there are bigger issues out there. If you want a workplace to descend into pettiness, then fine. But, imo, this is petty. Cordial adults would just deal with it. It's the overbearing attitude that is annoying, more than anything.

"If you don't do this, we'll do this"...not just on this issue. Virtually every issue.

It's like you grow up and instead of losing your parents, you gain billions of them. I hate adults that try to parent other adults. Come on, now..live and let live.

Old 11-27-2013, 01:33 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,485,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
Wow talk about problems, for all the complaints about how hard people are forced to work these days they sure spend a lot of time worrying about what smokers are doing. Personally the smell of smoke has never really bugged me, and truth be told all 3 of my full time employees smoke at least occasionally (one claims only when she drinks). Funny thing is they are all over qualified for what I can afford to pay them, and all are great employees that get their work done with minimal complaining.

I will gladly take that over someone who spends all their time worrying about whether they can smell someones perfume or if they smell like smoke.
Wild applause.

Old 11-27-2013, 01:46 PM

4,792 posts, read 8,205,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Rob123 View Post

The problem of course is that, especially for some reason as it gets colder, that stench of smoke doesn't leave them at the door, it comes into the office. Then people like me who don't smoke have to smell that garbage linger in the air.

The smoke breaks outside are getting pretty ridiculous, if most employees are seen away from their desk or offices talking on their cell phones multiple times a day the bosses would get pissed, but a smoker can get up and go outside and chat on their cell several times a day and no one says anything.
The problem for me is it is my boss and his boss that are the smokers. Probably not a good idea to tell them they stink.

Old 11-27-2013, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
The problem for me is it is my boss and his boss that are the smokers. Probably not a good idea to tell them they stink.
Nope, it isn't. In your case, tolerating their "smoker smell" is probably an unstated condition of employment.

Old 11-27-2013, 02:33 PM

Quote:
... imo, this is petty. Cordial adults would just deal with it.
You are obviously entitled to your opinion, and to state it.

There are several tons of published and peer-reviewed research that highlights the dangers and health risks of cigarette smoke, both first- and second-hand. There is conclusive evidence that smokers, nationally, are less productive and more illness-prone than nonsmokers.

So lets try rephrasing your sentence a bit. "Adults would just deal with it cordially," and we could certainly use cordiality. Neither side of this brouhaha has earned any good-conduct medals, or won the Congeniality Award.

Old 11-27-2013, 02:39 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,555,331 times
Smoking (and the idea that I do less work) was the only issue my ex-bosses had with me. I was let go after 1.5 years and got replaced by "very nice people". Another year or so went by and then I was called back to the same workplace (at a higher hourly rate) fixing the "very nice people"'s work (programming). Their work is really bad...perhaps they should have spent more time away from their desks or have taken up breaks that doesn't completely take their minds away from the job at hand. They should have been more 'loners' and get quickie breaks than coordinating with friends and should have some kind of timer with their personal time/chit chat sessions

Old 11-27-2013, 03:02 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,706 posts, read 81,563,799 times
We draw and quarter them.

Actually, there are very few left but each of the 3 floors in our building has an outdoor area where they can go.

Old 11-27-2013, 04:13 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,381,238 times
I don't smoke at work or before I go in, I shower and get my clothes that are hung outside on and go to work, I do not take a smoke break and don't smoke again until I'm in my car and off the property. I try to be very mindful of those who don't smoke. I guess what I'm doing works as often people are surprised I do.

I will say I struggle with it and try to quit all the time, I've been able to cut down but that's it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment