Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 12:01 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,685,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Rob123 View Post
Let me start by saying I couldn't care less if you choose to smoke. That's on you...usually.

I work at an office building where there are very strict rules about the amount of perfume or cologne a person is allowed to wear. Basically, if someone complains about it, it's too much! This was in the employee manual. A guy who used to work here was actually confronted about his BO and was told to bring a stick of deodorant with him to work. These are all considered acceptable means by which the employer can try to make things comfortable and the air fresh and breathable inside the office.

Yet, the only thing done about smokers is that they have to go outside to smoke their cigarettes.

The problem of course is that, especially for some reason as it gets colder, that stench of smoke doesn't leave them at the door, it comes into the office. Then people like me who don't smoke have to smell that garbage linger in the air.

The smoke breaks outside are getting pretty ridiculous, if most employees are seen away from their desk or offices talking on their cell phones multiple times a day the bosses would get pissed, but a smoker can get up and go outside and chat on their cell several times a day and no one says anything.

Has anyone here done anything to effectively take care of these problems? The biggest issue for me is the smell, but outside of telling people they can't smoke at work period (which I would not have a problem with) I can't think of anything that would eliminate this disgusting issue.
Then deal with it.

I smoke weed a lot, like daily...I can't wait to show up reeking of the stuff...daring them to fire me. Because, seriously, though I know I'd be dealt with...you probably wouldn't want to be around when they did attempt to.

Because, if I'm being honest, I'd only leave in handcuffs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2013, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
My employer doesn't hire smokers.

Easier said than done I know... but that's his policy. AFAIK it's not discriminatory either.

His reasons are in addition to the smell you have to deal with all the time wasted due to "smoke breaks."
How would he know?

Would he ask during the interview?

Because, I smoke, and I already know that my answer is "no, I don't smoke".

We're smokers...not stupid..

We know people look down on it...so you get the job first, then you smoke.

"I thought you said you didn't smoke?"

"I lied."

Old 11-26-2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplesky View Post
I agree about not hiring smokers. I would like to go out for a 10 minute alcohol break or sex break!
The difference is, we actually do.

No one's stopping you.

Except you...

Old 11-26-2013, 12:35 PM

2,533 posts, read 4,614,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dub dub II View Post
How would he know?

Would he ask during the interview?

Because, I smoke, and I already know that my answer is "no, I don't smoke".

We're smokers...not stupid..

We know people look down on it...so you get the job first, then you smoke.

"I thought you said you didn't smoke?"

"I lied."
That's why there is a 90 day probationary period and you can be let go for any reason during those 90 days. When hired you sign a document stating you agree to those terms... or you don't get hired.

As said in my previous post... he asks if you are a tobacco user during the initial interview. If you lied I'm pretty sure he'd figure it out within those 90 days.

Same thing applied at my old job (ThyssenKrupp NA) and their health insurance policy.

If you smoked that's fine... you paid an additional $200 per month premium. If you lied about it and were caught it was grounds for termination. If you were a smoker and said you quit (to get rid of the added premium) it had to be documented by a doctor that you were nicotine free.

You aren't stupid... and neither are employers.

Old 11-26-2013, 12:40 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,764,844 times
Wow talk about problems, for all the complaints about how hard people are forced to work these days they sure spend a lot of time worrying about what smokers are doing. Personally the smell of smoke has never really bugged me, and truth be told all 3 of my full time employees smoke at least occasionally (one claims only when she drinks). Funny thing is they are all over qualified for what I can afford to pay them, and all are great employees that get their work done with minimal complaining.

I will gladly take that over someone who spends all their time worrying about whether they can smell someones perfume or if they smell like smoke.

Old 11-26-2013, 12:41 PM

4,641 posts, read 11,978,201 times
I'm a former smoker so I've been on both sides of the fence. When I smoked, it was more acceptable and several of the execs smoked so it was a great way to get face time and the smokers always knew what was going on way before the nonsmokers. Incidentally, smoking never interfered with my production. I was the top producer in my office. I don't think smokers waste more time than nonsmokers.

Now that I'm not a smoker, I cannot stand the smell and wonder how I ever dealt with it to begin with. If you smoke, it is obvious. For one thing, smokers always smell like smoke. It lingers like you wouldn't believe. Even if you are freshly showered, you will still smell like smoke. I don't know why but maybe because you pick the smell up from your house or car?? The other weird thing is that smokers don't notice the odor.

I think the OP has a valid complaint. My employer banned smoking from our office property and it made a huge difference. Yes, you can still smell smokers, but it is definitely better than when smoking on property was allowed. Perhaps that might be an option?

Old 11-26-2013, 01:17 PM

Quote:
That's why there is a 90 day probationary period and you can be let go for any reason during those 90 days. When hired you sign a document stating you agree to those terms... or you don't get hired.

As said in my previous post... he asks if you are a tobacco user during the initial interview. If you lied I'm pretty sure he'd figure it out within those 90 days.

Same thing applied at my old job (ThyssenKrupp NA) and their health insurance policy.

If you smoked that's fine... you paid an additional $200 per month premium. If you lied about it and were caught it was grounds for termination. If you were a smoker and said you quit (to get rid of the added premium) it had to be documented by a doctor that you were nicotine free.

You aren't stupid... and neither are employers.
They must be if they think they'll get me to not do something I can legally do...particularly if I want to.

Not that they can't just fire me.

Just that, firing me probably is not within their best interests.

Old 11-26-2013, 01:24 PM

2,533 posts, read 4,614,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dub dub II View Post
They must be if they think they'll get me to not do something I can legally do...particularly if I want to.

Not that they can't just fire me.

Just that, firing me probably is not within their best interests.
Cool story.

Smoking is not one of the things protected under discrimination laws. You can be denied employment based on tobacco use. Employers have no obligation to hire you.

BTW, here in WA you can legally smoke weed... that doesn't mean you can smoke it at work.

We get it though... you are an employee that nobody messes with.

Old 11-26-2013, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Cool story.

Smoking is not one of the things protected under discrimination laws. You can be denied employment based on tobacco use. Employers have no obligation to hire you.

BTW, here in WA you can legally smoke weed... that doesn't mean you can smoke it at work.

We get it though... you are an employee that nobody messes with.
My thing is, if they deny me employment...where do you think I'll go to get the money I need to live? Do people honestly believe I'll just sit back and lament my situation? I won't. I'm not above doing what needs to happen.

It's within everyone's interests that those willing to work be employed. Because, you don't want people pouring their efforts into making money in ways that effect everyone negatively.

Apparently, you didn't get it though...that was my point. Not that no one messes with me...lol, I find people love to mess with me.

Old 11-26-2013, 01:40 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,127,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Rob123 View Post
Let me start by saying I couldn't care less if you choose to smoke. That's on you...usually.

I work at an office building where there are very strict rules about the amount of perfume or cologne a person is allowed to wear. Basically, if someone complains about it, it's too much! This was in the employee manual. A guy who used to work here was actually confronted about his BO and was told to bring a stick of deodorant with him to work. These are all considered acceptable means by which the employer can try to make things comfortable and the air fresh and breathable inside the office.

Yet, the only thing done about smokers is that they have to go outside to smoke their cigarettes.

The problem of course is that, especially for some reason as it gets colder, that stench of smoke doesn't leave them at the door, it comes into the office. Then people like me who don't smoke have to smell that garbage linger in the air.

The smoke breaks outside are getting pretty ridiculous, if most employees are seen away from their desk or offices talking on their cell phones multiple times a day the bosses would get pissed, but a smoker can get up and go outside and chat on their cell several times a day and no one says anything.

Has anyone here done anything to effectively take care of these problems? The biggest issue for me is the smell, but outside of telling people they can't smoke at work period (which I would not have a problem with) I can't think of anything that would eliminate this disgusting issue.
this has been discussed before, this is a tired argument and complaint. alot of people do things that annoy me from listening to music to how they talk to how htey behave. as long as its not over the top i realize i work with tohers and the world doesn't revolve around me. so you smell smoke for a few minutes get over it. unless your work has a no tobacco policy and is going to drug test people for nicotine or ban smoking outright you just come off as petty and a whiner.

either get your workplace to implement those policies or go work at a hospital or someone who already has them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment