Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 07:28 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,011,330 times

Advertisements

I do not see where you have anything to gain by pursuing this matter. From what you have posted there is nothing to support a 'whistle blowing' claim. The same goes for a 'harassment' case. In fact you have stated something that could be considered a strike against you. Working in Loss Prevention and having a girlfriend that also works for the company could be considered a conflict of interest. It sucks that you lose your job simply because someone has it in for you. But from what you have posted, this is a battle you are not likely to win. If it were me I would move on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2012, 07:47 PM

3,040 posts, read 2,582,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Sounds like a toxic environment. Have you filed for unemployment yet? I would definitely check on what they would say as a reference. Good luck and hope you find something else soon.
Yeh it definitely was. Not so much bummed about not working there anymore but miss having a income.... but yeh I have filed.
Thanks.

Old 11-08-2012, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
There is nothing you can do unless you can prove tht your termination was "wrongful" and to do that, it needs to fall as a termination because of a minority or protected class status. You will not prove this with a "no reason" and no write up termination.

Also, before you trash the "at will" please remember that it is the reason you can quit as well. If "At will" did not exist, you could quit your job, your boss or company could refuse to allow you to quit, and you would have to stay...
Well that sucks...

The only problem I really have with it is that an employer should be required to give at least a warning before termination. Especially in this economy.

Thanks for your feedback.

Old 11-08-2012, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Mutt View Post
I do not see where you have anything to gain by pursuing this matter. From what you have posted there is nothing to support a 'whistle blowing' claim. The same goes for a 'harassment' case. In fact you have stated something that could be considered a strike against you. Working in Loss Prevention and having a girlfriend that also works for the company could be considered a conflict of interest. It sucks that you lose your job simply because someone has it in for you. But from what you have posted, this is a battle you are not likely to win. If it were me I would move on.
Thanks. Thats what I kinda thought.Guess my pride is just hurt at the moment. Most employees there are union and if I was union they'd have absolutely no grounds to fire me.

As for the GF, yeh I don't think they liked that too much but they hired me into the position knowing about us. I used to do Maintenance there before applying for the vacant LP position. We were together since I was in maintenance and they knew then.

Old 11-08-2012, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Swarthout View Post
I'm assuming this is probably a 9-10/hr job? If this is the case you're probably better off forgetting the whole thing and just moving on.

Lots of people don't realize that there are a lot of sketchy people in management. Its not the job it used to be. In a lot of cases it's not much more money and its a ton more stress and responsibility. I've seen lots of managers do stupid things because they were pressured into making some a decision about something by the higher ups.
Yeh 9 hour day.

Yup. Sure are sketchy managers around. The #2 manager(same one that lied about me) was heard on two occasions by different employees, talking about one of the courtesy clerks and calling her a sl*t and how anyone could f**k her. She got complaints filed against her, denied saying those things and ended up with a promotion(to #2 from #3)......smh

Old 11-08-2012, 09:47 PM

1,412 posts, read 4,488,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean71 View Post
I was recently let go from work with no disclosed reason. An incident unfolded at work the day before between 2 other employees and the next thing I know, I get termed. I worked Loss Prevention for a grocery store and had a good relationship with staff there. They often came to me and my partner about things, especially managers getting on their case for no reason.

I'm thinking the managers had something to hide or something because it just seems to odd that I get fired for something that didn't involve me. I never spoke of any confidential information to Employees. Had 100% attendance. I thought I worked well with management and got along well with staff. Knew full and well my responsibilities and duties and executed them to the best of my ability.

Back in March or April, one of the managers blatantly lied about one of my shoplift stops. I addressed this issue with the managers after I found out and moved on. This manager has done things like this a lot and always trying to find ways to get people in trouble she personally doesn't like. She has made profanities about staff members that went completely ignored by upper management.

Anyway, i'm pretty sure she has a lot to do with me being fired, especially since her and her manager buddy were the only two managers there the day everything unfolded between the other 2 staff members.

I'm thinking of fighting this under 'whistle blowing' and or 'harassment' since since no complaints about me have ever been addressed with me. I've never had a single warning of any kind. And since no issues have ever been addressed with me, I obviously had no way of knowing about them or addressing them.

Has anyone here been through something like this and fought it?
Any info/tips would be much appreciated!

I absolutely hate this 'At will' BS that a employer can fire a person without reason or warning....
A verbal and written should at least be required.
It goes the other way to. You can decide one day to quit and leave the company scrambling to find a replacement.

Old 11-09-2012, 06:19 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,642 posts, read 81,351,757 times
Quote:
I absolutely hate this 'At will' BS that a employer can fire a person without reason or warning....
A verbal and written should at least be required.
You answered your own question, unless firing someone in a protected class due to discrimination there is no law requiring advanced warning or notice for firing or for layoffs, and a reason need not be given. Unfortunate for the worker but that is normal and common.

Old 11-09-2012, 07:19 AM

3,418 posts, read 7,797,169 times
Quote:
Thanks. Thats what I kinda thought.Guess my pride is just hurt at the moment. Most employees there are union and if I was union they'd have absolutely no grounds to fire me.

As for the GF, yeh I don't think they liked that too much but they hired me into the position knowing about us. I used to do Maintenance there before applying for the vacant LP position. We were together since I was in maintenance and they knew then.
Whay are you not union? Your choice or your job classification is not in the union?

Old 11-09-2012, 09:21 AM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,101,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
There is nothing you can do unless you can prove tht your termination was "wrongful" and to do that, it needs to fall as a termination because of a minority or protected class status. You will not prove this with a "no reason" and no write up termination.

Also, before you trash the "at will" please remember that it is the reason you can quit as well. If "At will" did not exist, you could quit your job, your boss or company could refuse to allow you to quit, and you would have to stay...
No.

"At Will Employment" never had anything to do with the employee quitting.

This 'lil clause is put into writing to protect the employer.

Contractual obligations and non-compete clauses are a different matter.

To the OP:

Unless that you can prove harassment or discrimination, it's time to move on.

Don't waste your time.

Old 11-09-2012, 09:34 AM

12,111 posts, read 23,315,548 times
Get out of LP work. Store managers don't know what they are doing, corporate attys are continually making the job more difficult and corporate themselves will throw you under the bus without giving it a second thought. It is not worth the money or the risk, so just move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment