Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 10:32 AM

58 posts, read 242,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Never heard of a motel? Or a room to rent?
Why would I rent a motel room? Even the cheapest motel would cost at least $300 more than my rent, which is $600. Why stay at a motel when I had an agreement for a job offer? That doesn't make sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2012, 10:54 AM

1,844 posts, read 2,431,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
You did a great job, but he didn't bring you back. Maybe the guy that was leaving ended up coming back. If business was great, he would be hiring more than 1 person. It doesn't sound like a very large company.

How about something else? Take some seasonal jobs, until you can find something better.

To the OP - where are you that prompted you to move 20 hours away from Massachusetts, going the expensive route, and lay out additional cash for a lease on the strength of a lick and a promise? Are you closer to Dallas?

One thing about teaching. It is firmly tied to demographics. If you're a teacher, and the school age population in an area is declining, as it is in the Northeast, it's overall not a good bet to tie your destiny to it. The Boston area is great for experienced practitioners in certain segments of high tech and biotech. Those advances are made by a small minority of the population, they tend not to have large families, and the benefits do not trickle down. Teaching is done there - unless you are an insider. If you're still getting unemployment, be grateful that MA has one of the richest UE payouts in the nation.

The lease is the least of your worries. The rental office has heard this all before. They have ways to deal with reality. They don't have you over a barrel, and they can't get blood from a stone.

Sit down and take a deep breath. You have a decision to make. Go where the teaching jobs are, do day labor until you get your certifications etc, live in a rented room or in your car while you're doing it. Or change your career to whatever you can patch together where you are - as long as the nums add up demographically and economic recovery-wise. You must be like Wayne Gretzky and envision where the puck will be several moves later.

Next time you're not going to lay out cash and sign a lease without having actual cash flow in hand - right?

Best wishes to you.

Old 11-12-2012, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jane_sm1th73 View Post
To the OP - where are you that prompted you to move 20 hours away from Massachusetts, going the expensive route, and lay out additional cash for a lease on the strength of a lick and a promise? Are you closer to Dallas?

One thing about teaching. It is firmly tied to demographics. If you're a teacher, and the school age population in an area is declining, as it is in the Northeast, it's overall not a good bet to tie your destiny to it. The Boston area is great for experienced practitioners in certain segments of high tech and biotech. Those advances are made by a small minority of the population, they tend not to have large families, and the benefits do not trickle down. Teaching is done there - unless you are an insider. If you're still getting unemployment, be grateful that MA has one of the richest UE payouts in the nation.

The lease is the least of your worries. The rental office has heard this all before. They have ways to deal with reality. They don't have you over a barrel, and they can't get blood from a stone.

Sit down and take a deep breath. You have a decision to make. Go where the teaching jobs are, do day labor until you get your certifications etc, live in a rented room or in your car while you're doing it. Or change your career to whatever you can patch together where you are - as long as the nums add up demographically and economic recovery-wise. You must be like Wayne Gretzky and envision where the puck will be several moves later.

Next time you're not going to lay out cash and sign a lease without having actual cash flow in hand - right?

Best wishes to you.
I was living in Tennessee. I moved to MA for the job. I had no other options. You don't know how hard of a life I have had and what horrible situations I have endured in the last 3 years. I have lived in my car before, and it isn't a good situation especially when you have a tiny car. I would never wish living in my car to my worst enemy. Unless you have done it yourself, please don't ask someone else to do it. It's a lot harder that you personally think and I take great offense to your reply. Thank you for bashing me for trying to come up with money on my own and taking the only option available to me at the time.

Old 11-12-2012, 11:25 AM

1,844 posts, read 2,431,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bears0909 View Post
I was living in Tennessee. I moved to MA for the job. I had no other options. You don't know how hard of a life I have had and what horrible situations I have endured in the last 3 years.
Bear, I wasn't bashing you, and I do not have enough arrogance to throw out opinions that are not fact or experience-based. In your circumstance, IMHO, it's time to stop the pity party and do an assessment that is based on something other than wishful thinking.

Best wishes to you.

Old 11-12-2012, 11:41 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,164,966 times
I agree with Jane. Stop the pity party. It will only hold you back. A car is better than my homeless youth with no car. Nobody is bashing you. You can take all the offense you want, but it's not going to help you. Don't distract yourself. You asked for help, and she was giving it.

Let's focus on sources of income.

Are you still receiving unemployment checks?

Is there anybody else living with you?

When you are applying for non-sports jobs, are you including the masters in sports management degree on your resume? It may be irrelevant to most jobs.

Have you signed up with multiple staffing agencies? If one staffing agency has no current assignment, then another one may have something.

Have you looked at the seasonal jobs, such as retail, warehousing, packaging?

Last edited by move4ward; 11-12-2012 at 12:55 PM..

Old 11-12-2012, 12:29 PM

2,135 posts, read 5,506,462 times
There has got to be something in an area as big as Dallas. What about federal work?

Old 11-12-2012, 12:34 PM

9,834 posts, read 11,636,034 times
You came to the wrong site for sympathy/pity
But what we do here is try to help.
Are you near a home depot or walmart?

Old 11-12-2012, 02:08 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,078,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bears0909 View Post
Why would I rent a motel room? Even the cheapest motel would cost at least $300 more than my rent, which is $600. Why stay at a motel when I had an agreement for a job offer? That doesn't make sense.
Because, as you have just found out, nothing is guaranteed, and now you have no job and a year lease. You paid $3000 to move.

If you would have rented a motel room for a few weeks, you would have saved your money, and be mobile.

I always rent a room from someone posting on Craigslist when in that situation. Live and learn.

Old 11-12-2012, 02:54 PM

810 posts, read 1,767,059 times
That sounds like a nightmare. It sounds like maybe something happened with the employer, but he should have common courtesy to at least tell you when you called him.
Have you tried the temp places for a tide me over job? Craigslist??
Good luck it's a bad position to be in.

Old 11-12-2012, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaFace View Post
There has got to be something in an area as big as Dallas. What about federal work?
I'm not in Dallas, I am in Fall River Massachusetts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment