Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2012, 05:01 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,179,689 times

Advertisements

A few weeks back I applied for a job with a state university. The application went through, but I never heard back. Last night I found the same job reposted except that now there is the additional requirement that for cultural reasons the applicant must be a woman. Is it legal for a government funded university to discriminate against people based on sex?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2012, 05:04 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,710,319 times
What was the job?

I can think of several jobs at a college where gender might need to be a factor, such as working in a single-gender dorm.

Old 11-13-2012, 05:16 PM

1,412 posts, read 4,488,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
A few weeks back I applied for a job with a state university. The application went through, but I never heard back. Last night I found the same job reposted except that now there is the additional requirement that for cultural reasons the applicant must be a woman. Is it legal for a government funded university to discriminate against people based on sex?
Could it be a female Muslim relations class?

Old 11-13-2012, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
What was the job?

I can think of several jobs at a college where gender might need to be a factor, such as working in a single-gender dorm.
Working with women in Afghanistan. I've worked with Afghans in Afghanistan in the past, and while there are women who won't work with men I did not find it to be a large number especially in a group situation where there is no opportunity for gossip to take place. Certainly more would have an objection to working with a Westerner than a man.

Old 11-13-2012, 05:18 PM

1,412 posts, read 4,488,508 times
Quote:
Working with women in Afghanistan. I've worked with Afghans in Afghanistan in the past, and while there are women who won't work with men I did not find it to be a large number especially in a group situation where there is no opportunity for gossip to take place. Certainly more would have an objection to working with a Westerner than a man.
The job posting is appropriate. Why would you want to put these women in a uncomfortable situation?

Old 11-13-2012, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momotaro View Post
The job posting is appropriate. Why would you want to put these women in a uncomfortable situation?
I would not, but as I have said I am not convinced they would be as working with a westerner is more of a problem than working with a man. Any woman whose husband or father would allow her to participate in such a program is already tacitly admitting she'll be dealing with men who aren't part of her family anyways simply by letting her go out into public. The job doesn't sound like there will be any chance for people to be alone so her honor could always be vouched for by other women.

More to the point the original job posting (with no sex requirement) got at least one reply. As a government institution aren't they required to follow through on that posting?

Old 11-13-2012, 06:54 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,401,738 times
Quote:
Yes. Most likely it is a BFOQ "Bonafide Occupational Qualification". There are a number of these around and job postings are totally legal, even in government work. The most common, though, is found in the entertainment industry when casting a female or male role. Different, I know, but an example of when a BFOQ really is one.

As for the question down further in the thread, no they are not obligated to respond to you because it is a government job.

Old 11-13-2012, 07:35 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,642 posts, read 81,368,328 times
Quote:

More to the point the original job posting (with no sex requirement) got at least one reply. As a government institution aren't they required to follow through on that posting?
No. I work for a government agency and have interviewed 15 of 30 applicants and then re-posted the opening when none turned out to be suitable. It happens all the time.

Old 11-15-2012, 12:18 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,018,759 times
Considering the job is working with women in a middle eastern country I'd say it's not only okay it's probably a wise decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment