Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 12:20 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,435,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Every sin starts with a thought.
No one was thinking about stealing....

And so does every honest action.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2012, 12:20 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,841,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Wow. You actually think you deserve it?

I hope you don't report it and they find out and can you. Then you don't have to work for such rude, arrogant, selfish people ever again. Course, you won't have any money, either but hey! That's not the point! RIGHT?
Luckily for me,I will have money. I always work 2 full time jobs for this purpose.

Old 11-23-2012, 01:21 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,223,675 times
Don't do anything and see what happens.

Keep the extra money in your account for a while (so you won't be low if they end up skipping over one of your paychecks). If they don't skip your next paycheck, enjoy the bonus.

After all, if they want to give you extra money, who are you to argue?

Old 11-23-2012, 07:29 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,841,954 times
They already took it back. It was an error due to the holiday.

Old 11-23-2012, 09:19 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
A few years ago my school district made some type of minor calculation error (I think something related to taxes) which ended up adding a couple of cents on everyone's hourly pay which may have raised your paycheck $2 to $4 a week. No one noticed for over two years. When the error was finally discovered the district took off the entire amount, without advance warning, from the first pay check of the year.

Man, people were really upset that after not receiving pay checks all summer the first check had $ 90 to $200 taken off. It caused a hardship for many people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
Maybe no one in Payroll noticed for over two years, but I'm sure most of those who got the paychecks noticed right away. And they didnt say anything or question the reason for the small increase. So I'm not too sympathetic about the hardship. People of all incomes need to keep an eye on their finances.

That actually happened to me some years ago. My paycheck was always the same amount and then one time it was for $3.00+ more. It didnt take me two minutes to get on the phone with Payroll and ask why.
Just to clarify. The error started on the same paycheck where there was a real, small correct pay increase and all the checks from then on had both the correct pay increase and the error pay increase (ie. all the paychecks were for the same amount) so none of the employees had any reason to doubt their checks. That made it seem worse.

Many people felt that if it was paid in to them in $2 to $4 increments it should be removed in $2 to $4 increments or at least give employee some warning before it was removed in a lump sum or several lump sums. Maybe all of the "big wigs" wouldn't care if $90 to $200 was taken off of ONE paycheck but these were the hourly workers at school, cooks, lunch room aides, clerical aides, janitors, teachers aides, etc most of which had not had a paycheck since the previous school year. The hardship wasn't that the money needed to be paid back, the hardship was how suddenly it was done, without any advance warning from the first paycheck in three months.

Last edited by germaine2626; 11-23-2012 at 09:36 AM..

Old 11-23-2012, 09:39 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
Quote:
Sure....anyway,its a holiday so the office is closed until Monday.

As I said,what about the integrity of the company when they cheat me out of pay?
How come they NEVER CALL ME and TELL ME THEY rEDUCED MY HOURLY PAY?
Which is what they did to several of us over the course of a few months. They did it slick to.
They slowly chipped away a few quarters each check until I got paid 5 dollars less than what I started with.
That is horrible!

Old 11-23-2012, 10:25 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,619,995 times
Setting aside any moral or ethical issues, chances are they will find their mistake and will correct it. So whether you give the money back or they take it, you probably aren't going to get to keep it.

Old 11-23-2012, 10:45 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,435,519 times
Quote:
They already took it back. It was an error due to the holiday.

So everyone was double-paid. Yes, they'd notice that right away. Or perhaps an honest employee reported it immediately.

Now you dont have to worry about whether you can get away with the theft. I'm sure your parents are so proud.

Old 11-23-2012, 12:56 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
No one was thinking about stealing....
Quote:
should I shut up and enjoy
Yes, you did think about stealing. That is exactly what you were thinking about. You can try to fool yourself, but you will not fool everyone else here.

Old 11-23-2012, 02:43 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,088,996 times
True story.

20 years ago, I worked for a small manufacturer as a machinist.

Got my paycheck and noticed that they paid me for Saturday.

I didn't work that day as I remember quite well that I attended a wedding.

Normally I worked every Saturday and our time reporting consisted of a slip of paper with job numbers and the time we spent on each job. The payroll gal assumed that I just forgot to turn my slip in and paid me for OT.

Of course, I notified her of the mistake when I received my paycheck.

Easy fix, as she just didn't count my hours that week when I did work on the next Saturday.

Fast forward a few months later....

They didn't pay me for Saturday work.

I brought this up to the owner as the payroll gal wasn't in the office that day.

He sez:

"Naturally, if the error was in your favor.....you wouldn't bring it up."

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment