Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 07:19 PM

1,412 posts, read 4,495,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest209 View Post
You must be a delight to work for.... There's a phrase i'm thinking of, it starts with D and ends with Bag.

Employees who have a problem with what I said, do not work for me very long. If you think I am a DBag, then you obviously will never get it. This is reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2012, 07:46 PM

279 posts, read 857,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emerald_octane View Post
I work in IT.

I can see what everyone is doing. Doors and positioning be damned.
I also work in IT, and when i install a PC on someone desk/cube i just put it whatever i want to put it. They have no say where the PC goes (based on the location of power and network access)

Old 11-28-2012, 10:26 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,420,995 times
At my work, my desk is set up with me facing out as I often need to be able to see if someone is at their desk for call transferring purposes, etc. I am in the HR department, but I work very closely with other recruiters and often the person will need to talk to 2-3 people in the office, so transferring the call to someone who is actually available saves time. So, I can see the whole office but none of them can see my computer screen.

My boss's computer screen is in the middle of the office, facing out.

Old 11-29-2012, 06:31 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,157,148 times
Silly thread. Payrolls, employee issues, and business deals need to be kept confidential. I was placed in a tall cube. When I would work on the new staffing costs with the annual raise, my boss emphasized the importance of employee confidentiality. If somebody came over to my desk, I should close the file until they left.

Old 11-29-2012, 01:25 PM

91 posts, read 308,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos Quarterback View Post
Or you could just judge by the results they produce instead of micromanaging by looking at what's on their screens. As a manager, I don't care if they are running errands, surfing the net, on their phone, etc as long as the work is getting done and done well.

It's all part of many managers' hypocritical attitudes of "I can do whatever I want, but you the slaves cannot".

Amen! When you work on project driven assignments and always get your work done on time and correct, you don't need some micromanaging your every move. To the guy that posted he can watch what everyone is doing, is the problem

Old 12-01-2012, 02:10 PM

1,077 posts, read 3,247,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momotaro View Post
Employees who have a problem with what I said, do not work for me very long. If you think I am a DBag, then you obviously will never get it. This is reality.
Get what exactly? That you get your jollys off on some small amount of control you have over people?

Old 12-01-2012, 03:47 PM

10,231 posts, read 19,305,876 times
When I had a cube I always would move the computer so I didn't have my back (and the screen) facing the exit. Call me paranoid.

Old 12-01-2012, 04:16 PM

1,412 posts, read 4,495,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest209 View Post
Get what exactly? That you get your jollys off on some small amount of control you have over people?

Someone has issues. Where does it show I get my jollies off on control? I ensure my employees are doing their job, like a responsible boss. Sorry you can not understand that.

Old 12-02-2012, 11:19 AM

2,544 posts, read 4,296,037 times
I could give a rat's patootie which way the manager's monitor faces. Just like he could'nt care less about mine. Of course, I do not work for a micro-manager. It's one of the reasons I left the management position I had for what I have now, which is more project based and I am like an in-house consultant. At the old place, the managers up from me didn't have a clue how to get the most out of people, so they spent their energy on meaningless drivel instead of pulling a good team together. One of the things they focused on was what was going on at a computer at any given time.

Where I am now, management just wants to see that the work is done. That is all. And the team is *much* more productive. I got tired of swimming upstream at the old place, the grass is way greener over here.

ETA: I don't mean to imply that the new team is more productive solely because they don't care what's on my computer screen. But it is indicative of the overall culture, and of the competence and confidence of the management.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment