Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 01:04 PM

9,006 posts, read 13,831,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordlover View Post
No anger here. I simply don't understand the 'Need' for Unions. Unions are nearly non existant here in Texas, and we are doing just fine without them.

If it weren't for one of those Rich guys you speak about making sound business decisions to grow the company I work for, I wouldn't have a job. So I tend to be greatful to those 1% who wake up at 4AM and work 14 hour days making the tough calls and never see their familes so that I can provide for my family and my future.
Millions of the 99% wake up at 4am and work 16 hr days too,and only see their families maybe 2x a week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2012, 12:33 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Quote:
No anger here. I simply don't understand the 'Need' for Unions. Unions are nearly non existant here in Texas, and we are doing just fine without them.

If it weren't for one of those Rich guys you speak about making sound business decisions to grow the company I work for, I wouldn't have a job. So I tend to be greatful to those 1% who wake up at 4AM and work 14 hour days making the tough calls and never see their familes so that I can provide for my family and my future.
It depends on the state laws for sure. In NJ, unions are unnecessary. The state has done a good job of creating labor laws that meet the original purposes of unions. Unions in NJ are just groups that get together for abusing bargaining power.

Old 12-15-2012, 01:21 AM

495 posts, read 684,344 times
Quote:
The point of a business is to be sucessful and make the investors/owners money. NOT to employ as many people as possible.

If employee doesn't like his job or pay, he is free to quit at any time, if my employer isn't happy with my performance, they are free to let me go at any time. Sounds fair to me.

I bet those people working at Hostess thought they had secure jobs because they had a union. Hmm, how'd that work out?
What is the point of buissness if not to employ the masses so they can support themselves. If its possible for buissness to completely elimanate human workers with robots in the future would that be good? After all labor is the biggest expense. What would we do the? The economy would collapse and we would all go back to subsistence living. So yes in the big picture buissnes dose have a big responsibly to employ people even if its just for its own survival.

Old 12-15-2012, 06:10 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordvader44 View Post
What is the point of buissness if not to employ the masses so they can support themselves. If its possible for buissness to completely elimanate human workers with robots in the future would that be good? After all labor is the biggest expense. What would we do the? The economy would collapse and we would all go back to subsistence living. So yes in the big picture buissnes dose have a big responsibly to employ people even if its just for its own survival.

Man, after all this time, I thought I went into business to make money for myself and not to earn the privilege of hiring people.

Old 12-16-2012, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Man, after all this time, I thought I went into business to make money for myself and not to earn the privilege of hiring people.
Whos going to buy your crappy service or product if no one is employed. The march to eliminate as much human labor as possible will only get faster. Even the sevice industry will get much more automated. They already have hotels in Europe that are almost entirely automated. The robots from the move I robot are not that far off, probably in my lifetime.u

Old 12-16-2012, 08:37 AM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times
Quote:
Whos going to buy your crappy service or product if no one is employed. The march to eliminate as much human labor as possible will only get faster. Even the sevice industry will get much more automated. They already have hotels in Europe that are almost entirely automated. The robots from the move I robot are not that far off, probably in my lifetime.u
Maybe he makes robot parts?

Old 12-16-2012, 09:49 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
Quote:
Maybe I write iphone apps or games?
Maybe I make youtube videos and sell ad space?

Old 12-16-2012, 10:42 AM

Those things will not be enough to employ the mass of humanity. Idea men and inovators make up a small fraction of commerce needed to suport the world. You need people making things and providing services but unfortunately the trend is to eliminate human labor from that prosses as much as possible.

Old 12-20-2012, 11:36 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,606,224 times
odd, i thought in capitalist society, economy, is when people don't have a right to a job
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment