Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 07:55 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,466,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by berkeleylake View Post
Then there are employees who will not work consistently without supervision. Some people just cannot work on their own without being watched by a supervisor as some people will goof off at the drop of a hat. It can go both ways, dependable and undependable workers.

Your point about personality is well taken, like you said, your management style adjusts to the individuals of your staff. Some people are just easier to manage than others based on different factors.
This is SOOOO true! I work for the ULTIMATE micro-manager, but you know what...she has ID'ed those of us with work ethic and supports us, gives us freedoms and allows us flexibility AFTER we proved ourselves to her. Unfortunately, there are only a hand full of us that have earned that position with her, even WITH total micro-management, there are those that are either not capable or not willing to do their work. It AMAZES me when I see people (grown adults, not young kids) that work HARDER at NOT doing their work than it would be to complete the task....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2012, 08:45 PM

244 posts, read 634,541 times
I'm Management and have not been accustomed to being Micro-Managed. However in the past year with a new boss, its been tough on me. My boss finds every little thing I do wrong and magnifies it, makes me feel terrible for it and then lets it sit around for a while before resolving the situation.

I feel like its negatively affected my job performance because all I do is stress and worry about my boss over my shoulder.

In previous jobs and even in this job before the new boss I was allowed to run things my way and manage my people to great success.

Any tips on how to deal with this?

Old 12-21-2012, 09:34 PM

810 posts, read 1,764,034 times
Honestly I am used to being micro managed. I worked for AT&T for almost 12 years and I was used to a management style similar to yours and I went into being micro managed. It was a change. I enjoyed the customer interaction at AT&T, but it was a tough transition.
You sound like a great manager.

Old 12-21-2012, 09:46 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,652,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danes View Post
It seems like in many of the management positions that I've been in, most of the staff were used to being micro managed that it's hard for them to grasp/ get used to the freedoms that I give them.

I have a hands off style of management. I keep my finger on the pulse of everything but I don't feel the need to know and get involved in every single detail.

I give the supervisors that work for me freedom to make the decisions that they need in order to keep the workflow moving and meet deadlines. I hold them accountable and ensure that they stay within the budget. As long as they meet those 2 requirements and follow all of the guidelines to keep us out of any legal trouble, they can call their own shots.

I very rarely step in unless it's a absolute must. I'm very effective when it comes to allowing people to take leadership roles.

My observation has taught me, that most people ARE NOT used to that.

It seems most people are used to "day care" style managment. Which consists of the manager micro-managing eveything and everyone in addition to that, I think people are used to their boss riding on the "behinds".

My style is very effective and creates a environment of productivity and harmony. It does take people some getting used too, mainly because they are not used to someone treating them like...............adults.
I worked for more than ten years with your style of management and loved it. I managed a branch library and saw the boss at my location maybe once a year. It was when she brought the state librarian through to let her see how my library looked that year. She may have come on the sight when I was not there, but I never saw any signs of it. Then she got sick and died. Boy did I have a rude awakening. I am an adult and do not need to be micro-managed.

Then here comes a "lady" that said I was not a team player. I told her it is a little difficult for a professional player to adapt to a Junior Varsity team. I lasted. She didn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment