Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: how do you feel about your job?
absolutely hate it, only do it for money to survive 12 18.46%
hate it, but it's life. 5 7.69%
dont like it. 12 18.46%
like the job 20 30.77%
love the job, the pay, the boss, and the workers 14 21.54%
dying to go to work everyday because you love working 2 3.08%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 04:21 AM

1,018 posts, read 3,390,603 times

Advertisements

Be honest, i guess many folks would like to see how the "average person feels".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2012, 05:15 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,433,127 times
Interesting poll. One option I would have included is: "love the job, but don't like the office politics/co-workers"

I have been in those situations where I loved the work itself, but not the office culture. Luckily, I am in a situation now where I do like my co-workers overall but it is a real choice for some.

I would venture to say more people here would choose "don't like their work or having to work." (don't like it).

Old 12-23-2012, 05:49 AM

10,123 posts, read 10,042,697 times
I hate my job and don't like the people.

Old 12-23-2012, 07:24 AM

8,139 posts, read 12,891,306 times
There are so many variables that it would be difficult to cover al of them in a poll so I voted I "Like my job".

My previous job would have been - The money is good but I hate what I do to earn it and the management sucks.

My current job would be- I enjoy the work, it is giving me exposure to a new field with a lot of potential. I like my co-workers and have excellent management. The pay isn't all that great however it is adequate and the experience I am gaining more than makes up for it.

Old 12-23-2012, 08:11 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,825 posts, read 81,829,411 times
I feel underpaid for what I do (working on that) but really love the job, and look forward to it every day.

Old 12-23-2012, 08:28 AM

3,276 posts, read 7,862,942 times
What I like: The pay is decent, I have good benefits, the hours are decent, the job is relatively stable, and I like *a few* of the people I work with.

What I dislike: Many of the people I work with, if I had a choice, I would go out of my way to avoid. These are the gossipers, bullies, two-faced phonies, and other assorted crud. I am stuck in clients' offices staring at numbers on a computer screen for 8 hours a day. Accounting is monotonous, boring work. I have yet to meet an accountant who truly loves his job. We're all just in it for the money.

Old 12-23-2012, 08:30 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,156,307 times
I love going to work, my boss and co-workers. While I am salaried, I don't do the crazy 50+ hours that others have mentioned. Hours are only 40-45 hrs. When I am coming close to a breakthrough, I hate leaving it half-done. I will stay an extra hour to knock it out. My boss has asked me to leave early, if I want to.

I can come in at 7 or come in 8:30, my boss doesn't care. Boss doesn't micromanage. If you make $1 mil for the company this month, they don't bother with micromanaging every minute.

Old 12-23-2012, 08:31 AM

3,082 posts, read 5,451,860 times
I hate my job. It's the worst company/department I have ever worked in. I have had several jobs throughout the years and never have I disliked a job this much. There will always be things that irk you at jobs, which is understandable. But when you hate just about every aspect of your job, that's a horrible feeling to have.

Old 12-23-2012, 11:02 AM

2,533 posts, read 4,615,533 times
I like my job and enjoy going to work even though I am underpaid relative to my experience. The management is horrible though and I am making a job change.

The new job is 35% more pay with a lot less management. I'm going from a shop with 3 managers and a dozen different clipboard carrying supervisors to one boss... the owner.

Old 12-23-2012, 01:28 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,883,046 times
Overall, I like the job.

A few of the thing I don't like:
1. Office politics
2. Low rise walls in cubicle city, so no privacy
3. I'm exempt, but management treats my job class as if we were hourly. They require exempt staff to make up time missed (for dr appts, etc). If we choose to go to the on-site education classes lasting 1 hour, we have to make up the extra 30 minutes since "lunch" is only 30 minutes. They justify their demands with the generic catch-all "per business needs". Because of this, most people have stopped doing ANYTHING extra. It's becoming even a burden to help others, because questions/explanation takes so long, that it becomes impossible to meet the daily production quota. We pretty much have to refer all questions to the leads now. I get pulled into a lot of this extra conversation because I'm a SME (subject matter expert) but not a lead. LOL.
4. The company is trying to change the culture so they can be listed on "Great Places to Work" list, however, much of the change is being dumped on the individual employee, or on teams like ours that have no extra budget for activities. So, we do the same old usual company things but now they are "GPTW" events. Also our department upper level manager doesn't buy into this, so our team isn't doing anything. I'm on the team GPTW committee, and the whole thing has become quite a joke. I do socialize with a few of my coworkers, and we always say, "hey this would be a great GPTW thing...guess we'll do it ourselves."
5. Boss plays favorites. Ignores the loudest, most obnoxious, complainers but also rewards them by letting them get away with things she would correct others on.
6. Too damn many potlucks or rewards with unhealthy foods

What I do like:
1. Pay is decent
2. Commute is 10 minutes
3. I love most of the people I work with, and have met some wonderful, life-long type of friends here
4. Lots of variety, so I don't usually get bored
5. Get to apply my clinical skills
6. Casual dress code
7. On-site gym
8. Now that we are production-based, as long as I meet my daily/weekly quota, I'm fine. This means I don't have to work a full 8 hours, if I have an appointment or something.

I just got an email from a friend about a job opening in her department, at another company. It sounds tempting, but I'd be working from home (which is too isolating for me), and the headquarters is further down the road than I currently travel (8 vs 5 miles) but in the opposite direction which means going with the flow of the commuters. This direction is frequently at a standstill or only going 10 mph. So...doesn't sound too enticing to me.

Last edited by caligirlz; 12-23-2012 at 01:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment