Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 07:06 AM

6,589 posts, read 11,282,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
at the top end perhaps, but how about for those 'middle managent/skill set' situations?

could hardly say they are particularly demanding, especially on the physical side.

How is a nice cushy office job (at mid-level) that much more of a drain than working at Burger King?
You're making general statements. I can just turn that around by saying: "How is getting paid to do what I do in my backyard BBQ difficult or draining?"

The devil is always in the details.

Quote:
does 'value' to society have any role to play in the job situation these days?

or is it just a case of get as much as you can....me first...
In what sense? How do you define value to society? How do you differentiate or compare what a teacher, community activist does vs. what an entertainer does through their charitable cause? Is one valued more because of their direct involvement vs. another who simply provides the means?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2013, 09:20 AM

3,918 posts, read 6,832,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Why are you so fixated on the physical nature of a job? How physically difficult a job is is fairly meaningless.

Those in the middle management side have difficult jobs due to the responsibility/stress concerned with their duties. When the livelihoods of the few dozen people who work for you as well as the success or failure of hundreds of thousands of dollars of project work of someone else's money depends on what you do on a daily basis, the downside to making a mistake is greatly exaggerated.

Burger flipper: make one mistake, grab another patty and make a new burger

Middle manager: make one mistake, 12 people potentially lose their bonuses or possibly get fired

And you tell me that the burger flipper has it just as bad?
In fact, if I make a mistake it could potentially affect a list of 16,000,000 people and revenue of upwards of $300K. To say my job is only a little bit important is quite an understatement. I love my job and get paid very well for that exact reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
This is a joke, right?
Y'all need to go actually see or have these jobs and then your opinion will be worth two cents.
Agreed. Most of the "office workers" defending ourselves here HAVE worked low end retail or burger flipper jobs. The same cannot be said for the OP. Our jobs are much more mentally taxing.

Quote:
does 'value' to society have any role to play in the job situation these days?

or is it just a case of get as much as you can....me first...
As mentioned above, I help a company obtain a 200% Return on Investment on average for each campaign I execute. This equates to revenue of up to $300K PER campaign. Now please tell me how a burger flipper is crucial in making even 1/10th of that in any given year? Much less a single campaign a week. Even for those who may not be as valuable in a measurable sense. There are still many of us who are college educated and our intellectual property (brains) are worth more than the mighty hands the burger flipper uses. Hands, which just so happen to be standard in 99% of births. Before you say everyone has brains, note that I was referring to what is housed IN those brains. We have intellect that sells.

Quote:
4 years doing a degree, especially in a soft subject, paid for by a government grant, is a piece of cake.

Most students spend their first 2 years hanging out in the bars chasing skirt.

How is that harder than working full time in Macdonalds for low pay?
HA! This statement alone tells me you have no clue how the world works. First off, I didn't get my education paid for. I AM paying for it. It also wasn't a "piece of cake". If it is so easy why DONT YOU DO IT? You will have a cushy office job like the rest of us.

The whole goal of going to college and getting an education is that so someday your LIFE will be easier because you won't have to work hard labor to obtain a decent paycheck. I would admit my life is easier because of my college education but I do not agree that the job itself is easier. Our jobs are much more mentally taxing instead of physically.

Old 01-09-2013, 10:21 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,575,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post

If it is so easy why DONT YOU DO IT?
Haha, I often have to bite my tongue to keep myself from saying the same thing when people tell me my job sounds easy. I own my own a company. Business has been pretty good, actually. It's taken me 2 degrees and almost 10 years in the industry to get this far.

To keep your sanity, just keep in mind the dunning kruger effect. People who flip burgers can't help feeling the way they do.

Old 01-09-2013, 10:57 AM

417 posts, read 824,902 times
flipping burger is easier than being a cashier at a fast food restaurant. Or was the flipping meant to imply cashier responsibilities as well?

Old 01-09-2013, 11:56 AM

30,254 posts, read 23,727,877 times
Quote:
If you really thought that then you would be back in the burger bar.

so, sorry, that is an empty statement.
Wrong again. The reason I'm not back "in the burger bar" is because I know it doesn't pay well. I want to make more money so I have applied myself and done what I needed to do so that I could make more money.

It's called: Living in reality.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:49 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,747,586 times
People value hard work until they have to pay for it.

Old 01-10-2013, 03:16 AM

4,299 posts, read 2,809,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
This is a joke, right?
Y'all need to go actually see or have these jobs and then your opinion will be worth two cents.
I said in some aspects. did you read the rest of my post? I'm betting you didn't based on your reply.

Old 01-10-2013, 03:26 AM

5,190 posts, read 4,837,755 times
Quote:
Middle manager: make one mistake, 12 people potentially lose their bonuses or possibly get fired

And you tell me that the burger flipper has it just as bad?
what is the comeback for the middle manager though?

ok, if he messes up enough times then he loses his job, as does the burger flipper.

so the consequences are the same.

The manager, however, has more money in the bank to see him through until his next job.

Thus he is in a better position, so LESS stressful here.

for this reason, we should have an equalisation of wages. (not exactly the same, but closer together)

Old 01-10-2013, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Why are you so fixated on the physical nature of a job? How physically difficult a job is is fairly meaningless.
would you be saying that to the brain surgeon, dentist, sports player, mechanic though?

err, no , thought not.

Old 01-10-2013, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
In what sense? How do you define value to society? How do you differentiate or compare what a teacher, community activist does vs. what an entertainer does through their charitable cause? Is one valued more because of their direct involvement vs. another who simply provides the means?
High value to society = providing practical, positive usage.

eg: driver, doctor, mechanic plumber, nurse, policeman, builder

Low value to society = providing unnecessary pseudo-usage

eg: high end lawyer, entertainer, advertising exec, tv pundit, salesman, insurance person and the like.

the wages for these two types should be inverted, with the top example earning more (or at least the same)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment