Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 03:41 AM

5,190 posts, read 4,838,858 times

Advertisements

Many people slate 'burger flipping' jobs as 'easy, lazy, for dullards etc.' , but I guess many of those people have never done that sort of work.

how about being the dishwasher, waiter, porter etc.. often on your feet all day, taking abuse off people, and very low pay.

in what way is that easy?

what is easy is sitting in a nice comfy office chair, having secretaries do all your grunt work, and all the perks that come with it.

and who said anything about qualifications and brain power.

so what about that?

Physical labour is just as hard.

agree/disagree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 03:42 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,051,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
Many people slate 'burger flipping' jobs as 'easy, lazy, for dullards etc.' , but I guess many of those people have never done that sort of work.

how about being the dishwasher, waiter, porter etc.. often on your feet all day, taking abuse off people, and very low pay.

what is easy is sitting in a nice comfy office chair, having secretaries do all your grunt work, and all the perks that come with it.

so what about that?

agree/disagree?
It is hard work.

What's your point?

Old 01-08-2013, 03:46 AM

Hi, Alphamale, my old buddy, didn't think you were posting to me any more?

well, anyway, my point is that often in debates about wages, etc.. the conservatives tend to say that these jobs are 'easy', and thus don't deserve more than a couple of cents out of the public urinal.

I say this is false.

Old 01-08-2013, 03:53 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Again, you prove you haven't been paying attention,
These jobs are on the low end of the wage scale because they only require skills that many people have, so competition for these jobs is great enough to keep the pay level low.

Any reference to lack of motivation or laziness refers to people who could do more, but for one reason or another, won't.

Old 01-08-2013, 04:02 AM

some jobs seem to maintain their pay because of the skill set, regardless of supply and demand.

how about doctors and pilots - should their pay go down to min wage or less, because too many people gain the necessary quals.?

shouldn't 'difficulty' be taken into consideration here?

Old 01-08-2013, 04:12 AM

88 posts, read 103,070 times
Its a lot harder than any job Romney has ever held!!!!

Old 01-08-2013, 04:15 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Quote:
some jobs seem to maintain their pay because of the skill set, regardless of supply and demand.

how about doctors and pilots - should their pay go down to min wage or less, because too many people gain the necessary quals.?

shouldn't 'difficulty' be taken into consideration here?
If the day comes when there are millions of trained pilots or doctors vying for 100 jobs, you can bet your backside, the payscale will plummet.
It is a matter of supply and demand.
That scenerio is ridiculous, however, because if that situation was likely, few, if any, would bother with the time and cost of entering those professions

Old 01-08-2013, 04:24 AM

8,063 posts, read 12,779,194 times
I worked the grill as a short order cook when I was a kid. It was fast paced work and challenging to me.It wasn't at a "McBurger" joint though, it was at a Friendly's so we cooked everything from burgers to steaks, fish and chicken. The most challenging to me were breakfast shifts during the rush. You had ten to 15 different egg orders going at one time, pancakes cooking, meats cooking and having to make toast.

I was pretty good at the job and it was fun.

Old 01-08-2013, 05:50 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,288,331 times
Quote:

Its backbreaking work, no doubt. But the skills involved for these type of works are not as unique, so replacements are easy to find. Thus, the pay reflects that.

Quote:
Bit hypocritical isn't it? Considering your first statement.

Quote:

so what about that?

agree/disagree?
What about qualification/brain power?

Physical labor is hard - but in a different way. However, as others have pointed out - wages are typically established by the market, and is based of the uniqueness of a skill. If there is a huge demand for what you do (or how well you do it) and not too many around that does it - you get to charge more.

Old 01-08-2013, 06:46 AM

15 posts, read 19,311 times
I don't know your point of view. What am I going to say might be harsh, but this is my point of view, so u telling me flipping burgers is hard ? than what about someone spent 4 years in college and all of this money/time invested in the degree. You think that's not hard ? that's way harder than flipping burgers. I mean if someone is happy with flipping burgers I would never look down at him or make fun of him, everyone chooses what he wants and he is responsible of his reactions. But dont ever complain about what ever work u r working, u r the one who choose it. In terms of wages, for flipping burgers did u have to go for school for it ? NO, thats why its low paying. Am with its physically really hard and would effect you on the long term, thats why sometimes you gotta think about growing in ur career, even at flipping burgers, why dont u understand the process of how the restaurant works and one day become manager, it lets tiring job, why not make connections and start driving the delivery truck, why not work at the front cashier, why not even open ur own small burger store. Its all about your goals and ambitions and what you want to achieve. Opportunities are all around you, sometimes you might take the risk which is worth it. Sorry if my words looked harsh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment