Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 10:16 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,471,515 times

Advertisements

Kids who like figuring things out, research, building stuff are better suited for engineering IMO

Science is more suited to kids who want to change the world, explore the world, understand the world
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2013, 04:58 AM

162 posts, read 228,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
Are you serious? Sounds like a scam to get money, why on earth with an MS and 7-8 years of experience would I need to go back to school for another year... Before you could just take the test (years ago anyways). I looked through the list, I only see 4-5 courses I didn't take in college. That I wouldn't mind but I don't want to repeat all the other junk... :P Lame.... oh well!

I'm done with school, never going back. Only way I'd consider it is if it were 100% paid.
I here ya! After this, I am done with school. I wouldn't waste years of my life going to school and not realizing I would have been better off not going in the first place neither!

Old 11-14-2013, 07:37 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,734,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
Thank you - that's valuable advice. Actually he's really into math, but I didn't have any idea of what one could do with a math degree. Do you know if business mathematics and financial modeling are fields that someone gets into with a math major, or would someone study finance/business? Any other fields that are worthwhile for someone studying math? It's really what he's best at so far.

Edit: Do people here think the long-term prospects for computer science are good? I'm concerned with jobs that could potentially be outsourced. I've done some work in translation, and downward pressure on wages are extreme due to outsourcing.
He's 13, so his interests may change many times between now and then.

However, most financial modeling folks I know studied finance. In many universities, there is a regular finance major and a quantitative finance major which incorporates a lot more math.

Old 11-14-2013, 07:52 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,630,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomlikeme View Post
He's 13, so his interests may change many times between now and then.

However, most financial modeling folks I know studied finance. In many universities, there is a regular finance major and a quantitative finance major which incorporates a lot more math.
It's true, and interests can change throughout life. I was thinking about it now because he was looking at high schools that specialize in math and science. I guess in college he'd still be able to switch to something totally different if that's what he decided to do. He's dyslexic, so has some problems in subjects that require a lot of writing. The thread is surprising to me, because I had no idea about the problems of science majors finding work. I always assumed that there were not enough people going into these fields.

Old 11-14-2013, 05:35 PM

1,638 posts, read 1,108,458 times
Quote:
Are you serious? Sounds like a scam to get money, why on earth with an MS and 7-8 years of experience would I need to go back to school for another year... Before you could just take the test (years ago anyways). I looked through the list, I only see 4-5 courses I didn't take in college. That I wouldn't mind but I don't want to repeat all the other junk... :P Lame.... oh well!

I'm done with school, never going back. Only way I'd consider it is if it were 100% paid.
I'm not totally sure I agree. I currently work in a blood bank. There was nothing you likely did in your bsc/msc that is remotely relevant, as the work is quite different from all my undergrad bio courses or research. Not to mention its not something you can exactly "wing" as one screw up might kill someone (particularly in blood bank). For each of the 4 departments I did an extra 1.5 month internship in a hospital to reinforce what I learned.

Honestly in your situation I would say your best bet *is* to go back to school. But in one of the professional doctorates: Optometry, Pharmacy, Dentistry, Medicine. Then look into military or other (usually poor underserved) loan repayment options. It's any bio majors best bet to get decent 100k+ employment and actually provide a service that helps others.

Good luck!

Old 11-14-2013, 10:24 PM

6,192 posts, read 7,354,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
This is what i'm planning on doing. I'm just finishing up my Associates and hopefully will find a certification program for laboratory technician, get my foot in the door, and have the establishment I work for pay for my BS.

I don't know if it's worth it. I've found that many places, at least where I live, want people with the BS already. Nowadays it's almost impossible for technicians to get jobs, or at least decent jobs, in my area. And when you're a technician, you get paid quite a bit less to do similar, if not the same, work. (Usually around a $5+ difference/hour.)

Old 11-14-2013, 10:33 PM

6,192 posts, read 7,354,335 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbiodude View Post
I'm not totally sure I agree. I currently work in a blood bank. There was nothing you likely did in your bsc/msc that is remotely relevant, as the work is quite different from all my undergrad bio courses or research. Not to mention its not something you can exactly "wing" as one screw up might kill someone (particularly in blood bank). For each of the 4 departments I did an extra 1.5 month internship in a hospital to reinforce what I learned.

Honestly in your situation I would say your best bet *is* to go back to school. But in one of the professional doctorates: Optometry, Pharmacy, Dentistry, Medicine. Then look into military or other (usually poor underserved) loan repayment options. It's any bio majors best bet to get decent 100k+ employment and actually provide a service that helps others.

Good luck!

Beera, the classes you would take for clinical laboratory sciences are vastly different than they would be for a sciences major. For example, microbiology is very different from clinical microbiology, biochemistry is different than clinical biochemistry, etc. (And I don't know anyone who takes immunohematology (blood banking) other than CLS majors.) There are some one year programs that have the internship portion that are expensive but if you look around, I think there are some cheaper ones. They also seem to have online programs now in conjunction with internships in your area but they are also very expensive.

A lot of people do end up leaving the lab because they get paid a lot less than other health care professionals. I wanted to apply for PA school b/c I have every pre-req done and I have the grades but now some of my classes are too old. :/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment