Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 11:51 AM

263 posts, read 757,820 times

Advertisements

The problem is that everything is a priority. So much of what I do can be the result of winning unemployment hearings, receiving tax credits on new hire employees, paying some of the health ins plans on time (so there are no cancellation of benefits) and ect. I'm only going to do what I can do! I am not sitting there goofing off and people can see me working and not just sitting there. So if something doesn't get done, I don't think they can really come down on me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2013, 11:57 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,438,920 times
I know your job is important but, trust me (as someone with 45 years experience in the professional workforce), not everything has the same priority level.

I've supervised people who were good but who could not prioritize. They thought everything was a priority. When I pointed out the things that could be amended or delayed, it was obvious that never occurred to them -- and it never would have either. They were never promoted because of that.

Old 01-12-2013, 12:34 PM

301 posts, read 1,062,672 times
The issue that I see is that this was a sudden and unexpected leave of absence, leaving the boss without many options. The job and work must continue. Finding, hiring, and then training that temp (depending on how in-depth your co-workers job is) can take more time and can be more of a hindrance than a benefit.

Im sure your boss chose you as the temporary replacement to keep things transparent and not cause a disruption of service for a reason. You must know her job more than others and can step in and keep things moving. You could use this as your chance to shine and rise to the challenge.

Fair? Probably not, but if a temp was hired, that temp will probably be coming to you every other minute asking questions on how to do somethig that you may as well just have done it yourself. I would just make sure that you prioritize correctly and know that not everything will get done and thats probably ok. Maybe there are others you can delegate a few things to that may not be as much of a priority, but still needs to get touched on.

Obviously I don't know your job, but this could help you earn bonus points with the boss and something that could be written in to your appraisal. (Willingness to help, quickly learn new things, rise to challenges, etc) However, it can also be a time that you are showing your boss that you aren't.

Last edited by daisies76; 01-12-2013 at 01:55 PM..

Old 01-12-2013, 02:41 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,137,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestSideGirl310 View Post
The problem is that everything is a priority. So much of what I do can be the result of winning unemployment hearings, receiving tax credits on new hire employees, paying some of the health ins plans on time (so there are no cancellation of benefits) and ect. I'm only going to do what I can do! I am not sitting there goofing off and people can see me working and not just sitting there. So if something doesn't get done, I don't think they can really come down on me.
No, not everything is a priority. In a list of things to do, there can only be one No. 1.

Old 01-12-2013, 03:02 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,832,525 times
I know, it's very maddening to have these things happen. I know people get sick and have medical issues but extra help can help. What irks me more where I work is that several people will leave and we have to cover for them. Oh and the ones that stay have no qualms about constantly being pregnant. It's really aggravating to cover their jobs while they're out for no real reason except that they got knocked up. I don't know why it's not law to get paid double when you're doing two jobs. That'd be sweet, right?

Old 01-12-2013, 04:07 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,014,969 times
How many people do you work with? Why is everything falling to you? Why isn't it being divided up at all? Or is it?

Old 01-12-2013, 04:58 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,051,813 times
To be honest, when you have a legitimate complaint (which I feel the OP has), it is best to avoid the use of words like "fair" and "unfair". First of all, what is fair is in the eye of the beholder. What seems fair to one person would seem unfair to someone else. Basically anything in life will benefit someone at the expense of someone else. Also, when you complain that something is "unfair", people who don't care are just going to shout out the line "life isn't fair", and unfortunately, it's hard to come up with a good response to that. It is best to make your argument without using the words fair or unfair.

Old 01-12-2013, 06:06 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,645,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisies76 View Post
The issue that I see is that this was a sudden and unexpected leave of absence, leaving the boss without many options. The job and work must continue. Finding, hiring, and then training that temp (depending on how in-depth your co-workers job is) can take more time and can be more of a hindrance than a benefit.

Im sure your boss chose you as the temporary replacement to keep things transparent and not cause a disruption of service for a reason. You must know her job more than others and can step in and keep things moving. You could use this as your chance to shine and rise to the challenge.

Fair? Probably not, but if a temp was hired, that temp will probably be coming to you every other minute asking questions on how to do somethig that you may as well just have done it yourself. I would just make sure that you prioritize correctly and know that not everything will get done and thats probably ok. Maybe there are others you can delegate a few things to that may not be as much of a priority, but still needs to get touched on.

Obviously I don't know your job, but this could help you earn bonus points with the boss and something that could be written in to your appraisal. (Willingness to help, quickly learn new things, rise to challenges, etc) However, it can also be a time that you are showing your boss that you aren't.
You bring up some very good points. When a temp is brought in unless it is for filing or answering phones than the temp will need to be trained, that can become more draining than just doing the extra work yourself.

The OP should ask for guidance on what is a priority and I would e-mail the boss so there is a paper trail in case anything falls through the cracks.

No it isn't fair, but that is what happens in an office environment.

Years ago I had a coworker go out on an unexpected medical leave and I had to do his work as well as mine, bringing in a temp in this case wouldn't have helped as the work was too detailed.

The OP needs to keep updating the boss to cover herself, in the event that things start to go by the wayside, maybe even mention the temp suggestion in an e-mail again, just so she is covered and can say that she mentioned in e-mails concerns about this being too much for one person.

Old 01-12-2013, 09:54 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,387,035 times
I've been the President, a Boss, a Manager, and I've been in your shoes.
The secret to getting things done is to make it easy for your boss to make a decision that supports you. Many employees believe their bosses actually understand the ins and outs of each job reporting to them. But they don't ... bosses have to look from 30,000 feet. You are on the ground and in the trenches. It's a partnership. Not all bosses are great at reading your mind, and if they are slammed, they may react with a "no" before actually understanding the facts and the benefits to them. If what you are asking just sounds like whining they will reject it. You have to think like a business person and give them what they need in order to make a good business decision. This will be good for you as well.

If I were you, I would take some time to outline your job and your co-workers job that you are now responsible for. Put this in columns next to each other -- use bullet points and don't write long paragraphs. This is standard business practice - a bullet point cover sheet with data backing it up attached.

So - In column A - you might have
• Health plan administration -- 4 hours per week
• Unemployment audits - 45+ minutes per day/ 4 hours per week
• Meeting with courts (or whoever the bureaucrat is) to challenge unfair unemployment claims and determine fair pay - up to 12 hours per week
• Workers opportunity tax credit calculations - one hour per day/ 8 hours per week
• FMLA calculations and paperwork - 1 hour per day/ 8 hours per week
• XYZ project - 1 hours per day till complete/ 8 hours per week
• Other duties and tasks as assigned

Total: 46 hours per week

Column B: Additional duties being performed for Absent Co-worker
• list each duty as above with daily / weekly hours required

Total: x hours per week

After that, say this:

"I realize that we have several urgent federal and state mandated forms that must be kept up to date. I am working long hours to assure that the company is kept in compliance and free from lawsuits while X is out on sick leave. As you can see, I also have numerous urgent programs that I need to stay on top of. Please review the above list and let me know which items are acceptable to put on the back burner for three months while X is away. If you agree with me that all of these need daily attention, I respectfully request an experienced Temp 4 hours a day to assist in the completion of standard forms. This person will cost the company between $x and $y per month for three months. A fine for missing any of these reports will run us $z per report (per month / incident/ whatever). I feel it is in the best interest of the company to bring in someone so we don't get behind in any of these areas and risk a fine or a lawsuit."

When you do this, you have just graduated from employee to someone who "owns" their job. Taking this kind of ownership is not only good for you, it presents you in a mature and promising light to your boss. You show that you are responsible and on top of the job. You show that you understand the risks facing the company and you are trying to protect them. You also give the boss a good reason to hire someone to help you. You aren't whining and you aren't sitting around thinking the world is fair (newsflash: it isn't)...

I actually am excited for you. This is a huge opportunity for you to grow and take responsibility in your job. And as I said, it's an opportunity for the boss and other managers to sit up and notice you. Good for you! Approach this right and you could be in a life-changing and career-changing situation!

Good Luck!

Old 01-13-2013, 12:17 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,163,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Cowgirl View Post
I've been the President, a Boss, a Manager, and I've been in your shoes.
The secret to getting things done is to make it easy for your boss to make a decision that supports you. Many employees believe their bosses actually understand the ins and outs of each job reporting to them. But they don't ... bosses have to look from 30,000 feet. You are on the ground and in the trenches. It's a partnership. Not all bosses are great at reading your mind, and if they are slammed, they may react with a "no" before actually understanding the facts and the benefits to them. If what you are asking just sounds like whining they will reject it. You have to think like a business person and give them what they need in order to make a good business decision. This will be good for you as well.

If I were you, I would take some time to outline your job and your co-workers job that you are now responsible for. Put this in columns next to each other -- use bullet points and don't write long paragraphs. This is standard business practice - a bullet point cover sheet with data backing it up attached.

So - In column A - you might have
• Health plan administration -- 4 hours per week
• Unemployment audits - 45+ minutes per day/ 4 hours per week
• Meeting with courts (or whoever the bureaucrat is) to challenge unfair unemployment claims and determine fair pay - up to 12 hours per week
• Workers opportunity tax credit calculations - one hour per day/ 8 hours per week
• FMLA calculations and paperwork - 1 hour per day/ 8 hours per week
• XYZ project - 1 hours per day till complete/ 8 hours per week
• Other duties and tasks as assigned

Total: 46 hours per week

Column B: Additional duties being performed for Absent Co-worker
• list each duty as above with daily / weekly hours required

Total: x hours per week

After that, say this:

"I realize that we have several urgent federal and state mandated forms that must be kept up to date. I am working long hours to assure that the company is kept in compliance and free from lawsuits while X is out on sick leave. As you can see, I also have numerous urgent programs that I need to stay on top of. Please review the above list and let me know which items are acceptable to put on the back burner for three months while X is away. If you agree with me that all of these need daily attention, I respectfully request an experienced Temp 4 hours a day to assist in the completion of standard forms. This person will cost the company between $x and $y per month for three months. A fine for missing any of these reports will run us $z per report (per month / incident/ whatever). I feel it is in the best interest of the company to bring in someone so we don't get behind in any of these areas and risk a fine or a lawsuit."

When you do this, you have just graduated from employee to someone who "owns" their job. Taking this kind of ownership is not only good for you, it presents you in a mature and promising light to your boss. You show that you are responsible and on top of the job. You show that you understand the risks facing the company and you are trying to protect them. You also give the boss a good reason to hire someone to help you. You aren't whining and you aren't sitting around thinking the world is fair (newsflash: it isn't)...

I actually am excited for you. This is a huge opportunity for you to grow and take responsibility in your job. And as I said, it's an opportunity for the boss and other managers to sit up and notice you. Good for you! Approach this right and you could be in a life-changing and career-changing situation!

Good Luck!
Wow! What a great post!

A wonderful plan of action.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment