Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 07:00 AM

12,111 posts, read 23,331,841 times

Advertisements

Are therre others who can help share the load?

Sometimes temps don't do anything but make matters worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2013, 05:45 PM

263 posts, read 758,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Cowgirl View Post
I've been the President, a Boss, a Manager, and I've been in your shoes.
The secret to getting things done is to make it easy for your boss to make a decision that supports you. Many employees believe their bosses actually understand the ins and outs of each job reporting to them. But they don't ... bosses have to look from 30,000 feet. You are on the ground and in the trenches. It's a partnership. Not all bosses are great at reading your mind, and if they are slammed, they may react with a "no" before actually understanding the facts and the benefits to them. If what you are asking just sounds like whining they will reject it. You have to think like a business person and give them what they need in order to make a good business decision. This will be good for you as well.

If I were you, I would take some time to outline your job and your co-workers job that you are now responsible for. Put this in columns next to each other -- use bullet points and don't write long paragraphs. This is standard business practice - a bullet point cover sheet with data backing it up attached.

So - In column A - you might have
• Health plan administration -- 4 hours per week
• Unemployment audits - 45+ minutes per day/ 4 hours per week
• Meeting with courts (or whoever the bureaucrat is) to challenge unfair unemployment claims and determine fair pay - up to 12 hours per week
• Workers opportunity tax credit calculations - one hour per day/ 8 hours per week
• FMLA calculations and paperwork - 1 hour per day/ 8 hours per week
• XYZ project - 1 hours per day till complete/ 8 hours per week
• Other duties and tasks as assigned

Total: 46 hours per week

Column B: Additional duties being performed for Absent Co-worker
• list each duty as above with daily / weekly hours required

Total: x hours per week

After that, say this:

"I realize that we have several urgent federal and state mandated forms that must be kept up to date. I am working long hours to assure that the company is kept in compliance and free from lawsuits while X is out on sick leave. As you can see, I also have numerous urgent programs that I need to stay on top of. Please review the above list and let me know which items are acceptable to put on the back burner for three months while X is away. If you agree with me that all of these need daily attention, I respectfully request an experienced Temp 4 hours a day to assist in the completion of standard forms. This person will cost the company between $x and $y per month for three months. A fine for missing any of these reports will run us $z per report (per month / incident/ whatever). I feel it is in the best interest of the company to bring in someone so we don't get behind in any of these areas and risk a fine or a lawsuit."

When you do this, you have just graduated from employee to someone who "owns" their job. Taking this kind of ownership is not only good for you, it presents you in a mature and promising light to your boss. You show that you are responsible and on top of the job. You show that you understand the risks facing the company and you are trying to protect them. You also give the boss a good reason to hire someone to help you. You aren't whining and you aren't sitting around thinking the world is fair (newsflash: it isn't)...

I actually am excited for you. This is a huge opportunity for you to grow and take responsibility in your job. And as I said, it's an opportunity for the boss and other managers to sit up and notice you. Good for you! Approach this right and you could be in a life-changing and career-changing situation!

Good Luck!
Thank you! That is a great post and very positive one!

Well, they told me on Monday they were going to get a temp, and on Wednesday I was told no temp. They flip-flop so much it's not even funny! I am doing what I can and inform my supervisor every day as to what is still sitting behind.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:59 AM

195 posts, read 351,093 times
Fairness doesn't exist in the workplace. The sooner you learn that the better.

Just ask for help but don't sound demanding. If they refuse prioritize.

Don't overanalyze your bosses' actions. People give management too much credit, many times they don't know what they are doing and they are just feeding their egos. The corporation is NOT gonna fall apart if some things get one late or not done at all I guarantee you they can replace you with someone who does 15% of your work and they would do just fine, stop thinking if things don't get done or get done wrong, the world is gonna fall apart, it won't. Corporations are full of inept and lazy people but they still manage to go on.

All you need is to be on"their good side". You might or might not make it there. Be very careful, maybe they are just trying to get rid of you. Working in a corporation is 99% politics. If they wanna get rid of you, it won't matter if you work 80 hours a week, they WILl get rid of you. I hope that is not the case and you just have clueless bosses

Old 01-20-2013, 11:04 AM

45,530 posts, read 60,771,442 times
Yeah, damn your co-worker for having an unscheduled heart attack.

As a note I had an unscheduled one this past summer. I still had a report I had to have turned in two days later. I got it done.

Old 01-20-2013, 01:02 PM

206 posts, read 269,439 times
Quote:
The secret to getting things done is to make it easy for your boss to make a decision that supports you. Many employees believe their bosses actually understand the ins and outs of each job reporting to them. But they don't ... bosses have to look from 30,000 feet. You are on the ground and in the trenches. It's a partnership. Not all bosses are great at reading your mind, and if they are slammed, they may react with a "no" before actually understanding the facts and the benefits to them. If what you are asking just sounds like whining they will reject it. You have to think like a business person and give them what they need in order to make a good business decision. This will be good for you as well.

If I were you, I would take some time to outline your job and your co-workers job that you are now responsible for. Put this in columns next to each other -- use bullet points and don't write long paragraphs. This is standard business practice - a bullet point cover sheet with data backing it up attached.

• Meeting with courts (or whoever the bureaucrat is) to challenge unfair unemployment claims and determine fair pay - up to 12 hours per week
• Workers opportunity tax credit calculations - one hour per day/ 8 hours per week

After that, say this:

"I realize that we have several urgent federal and state mandated forms that must be kept up to date. I am working long hours to assure that the company is kept in compliance and free from lawsuits while X is out on sick leave. As you can see, I also have numerous urgent programs that I need to stay on top of. Please review the above list and let me know which items are acceptable to put on the back burner for three months while X is away. If you agree with me that all of these need daily attention, I respectfully request an experienced Temp 4 hours a day to assist in the completion of standard forms. This person will cost the company between $x and $y per month for three months. A fine for missing any of these reports will run us $z per report (per month / incident/ whatever). I feel it is in the best interest of the company to bring in someone so we don't get behind in any of these areas and risk a fine or a lawsuit."

When you do this, you have just graduated from employee to someone who "owns" their job. Taking this kind of ownership is not only good for you, it presents you in a mature and promising light to your boss. You show that you are responsible and on top of the job. You show that you understand the risks facing the company and you are trying to protect them. You also give the boss a good reason to hire someone to help you. You aren't whining and you aren't sitting around thinking the world is fair (newsflash: it isn't)...

I actually am excited for you. This is a huge opportunity for you to grow and take responsibility in your job. And as I said, it's an opportunity for the boss and other managers to sit up and notice you. Good for you! Approach this right and you could be in a life-changing and career-changing situation!

Good Luck!
Post of the year. Who cares if it's fair? Do something about it.

Old 01-20-2013, 01:54 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,524,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hold on to the Nights View Post
Fairness doesn't exist in the workplace. The sooner you learn that the better.

Just ask for help but don't sound demanding. If they refuse prioritize.

Don't overanalyze your bosses' actions. People give management too much credit, many times they don't know what they are doing and they are just feeding their egos. The corporation is NOT gonna fall apart if some things get one late or not done at all I guarantee you they can replace you with someone who does 15% of your work and they would do just fine, stop thinking if things don't get done or get done wrong, the world is gonna fall apart, it won't. Corporations are full of inept and lazy people but they still manage to go on.

All you need is to be on"their good side". You might or might not make it there. Be very careful, maybe they are just trying to get rid of you. Working in a corporation is 99% politics. If they wanna get rid of you, it won't matter if you work 80 hours a week, they WILl get rid of you. I hope that is not the case and you just have clueless bosses
^^^One of the best posts on this site. Read it twice.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:35 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,853,580 times
Quote:

After that, say this:

Good Luck!
While this is a great post, you need to be wary of your company's culture. At many companies you'd get laughed out of the room for something like this. It would go something like this:

"You're only working 46 hours a week and asking for 4 hours a week from a temp? Why aren't you dedicated to the success of the company??"

When people leave, it's tough for everyone who stays. It's unbelievable how many companies won't even blink about doubling your workload because someone has left (assuming you're salary of course). It's a great deal for them since they are getting twice as much output from you for the same price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment