Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 08:40 PM

2,533 posts, read 4,611,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyTXsmile View Post
After 7.75 years, I finally resigned today from an employer with an average turnover rate of 5-6 months.

What I have learned from this experience: #1, I have nerves of steel and #2, I'm nuts as why didn't I do this sooner?!

Has anyone else walked away from a perfectly stable, well-paying career in the middle of a historical recession? How did you feel? What are you doing now?
I started a new job last month... just quit the old job last week.

I went from corporate america to mom and pop.

I won't miss the backstabbing ass kissers... It's a nice change. The new environment is about 50 less employees walking around... about 10 less clipboard carrying supervisors.... I am the only one running the machines instead of me and 8 other random people who make changes without leaving notifications...

and the pay is $7 an hour higher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2013, 08:51 PM

126 posts, read 430,721 times
Good for you! You did what was best for you. Don't let anybody tell you differently.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:45 AM

3,652 posts, read 4,722,093 times
It's only not wanting to burden my wife and affect my family financially that's stopping me *right now* from telling my employer to go f**k themselves. Best of luck TC, it takes guts to do that and I hope it works out for you.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
I started a new job last month... just quit the old job last week.

I went from corporate america to mom and pop.

I won't miss the backstabbing ass kissers... It's a nice change. The new environment is about 50 less employees walking around... about 10 less clipboard carrying supervisors.... I am the only one running the machines instead of me and 8 other random people who make changes without leaving notifications...

and the pay is $7 an hour higher.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:57 AM

763 posts, read 2,608,540 times
I was fired from a job and felt better physically and mentally afterwards than I did the whole time I was there.

Old 01-15-2013, 09:13 AM

4,555 posts, read 4,078,733 times
In software at least I've found that finding a new job is a much easier way to get a raise. Also that about every 1-2 years is when you should be looking for that raise.. a software employers wet dream is to get you while you are straight out of college on an idiots salary and then make you feel worthless so that you don't try to get what you're worth elseware.

Old 01-15-2013, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
In software at least I've found that finding a new job is a much easier way to get a raise.
I think generally that applies in many fields. The best way to increase your salary significantly beyond the petty 'cost of living' increases your current employer gives is to hop jobs every 3 years. Frankly I don't understand how my parents managed to stay in their jobs for 30 years. I've been with my current employer for just under 3 years and I already feel stagnant and ready for change.

Old 01-15-2013, 09:24 AM

563 posts, read 1,272,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
It's only not wanting to burden my wife and affect my family financially that's stopping me *right now* from telling my employer to go f**k themselves. Best of luck TC, it takes guts to do that and I hope it works out for you.

100% agree with this. That's the only reason I am not doing the same thing.

Old 01-15-2013, 09:24 AM

1,548 posts, read 3,040,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSchoolols View Post
Yes, I think about it a lot. I loved that company dearly. If only things were different

You will find happiness wherever you end up. There is more to life than a job!
I can understand that, for sure. I like to believe everything happens for a reason, though. Perhaps it was your time to move on to bigger and better things, even if you didn't realize it.

Aww, thanks.

Old 01-15-2013, 09:27 AM

1,548 posts, read 3,040,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
In software at least I've found that finding a new job is a much easier way to get a raise. Also that about every 1-2 years is when you should be looking for that raise.. a software employers wet dream is to get you while you are straight out of college on an idiots salary and then make you feel worthless so that you don't try to get what you're worth elseware.
So very true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment