Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 11:23 AM

7,893 posts, read 11,451,703 times

Advertisements

Over a 38 year career as an engineer/mba/exec in the oil industry I had 18 different jobs. Each situation was unique with great to horrible bosses, to high stress to "family" type environments, from long hours to regular hours with family time. I had a career as an engineer, as a financial staffer and finally as an executive in financial/realestate/procurement etc. I had jobs I couldnt stand day to day and jobs I never wanted to see end....

all were with the same company. With each person moving on avg every 2 years and that included your boss, you rarely saw a political situation that wouldnt change in a year....also I had several different career paths. I wouldnt do it any other way.....but recognize I was fortunate to find what worked for me....

Early on in my career I would start to look after about 1 year since my last raise and by the time I found something of interest, my old employer give me my schedule raise and it settled me down...after getting my MBA at night, I stopped doing this since the others getting an MBA sought the job I had as their ultimate career goal ...so I realized I should stay where I was and did so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 11:37 AM

1,548 posts, read 3,041,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Over a 38 year career as an engineer/mba/exec in the oil industry I had 18 different jobs. Each situation was unique with great to horrible bosses, to high stress to "family" type environments, from long hours to regular hours with family time. I had a career as an engineer, as a financial staffer and finally as an executive in financial/realestate/procurement etc. I had jobs I couldnt stand day to day and jobs I never wanted to see end....

all were with the same company. With each person moving on avg every 2 years and that included your boss, you rarely saw a political situation that wouldnt change in a year....also I had several different career paths. I wouldnt do it any other way.....but recognize I was fortunate to find what worked for me....

Early on in my career I would start to look after about 1 year since my last raise and by the time I found something of interest, my old employer give me my schedule raise and it settled me down...after getting my MBA at night, I stopped doing this since the others getting an MBA sought the job I had as their ultimate career goal ...so I realized I should stay where I was and did so.
It sounds like you've had a satisfying career.

Old 01-15-2013, 12:04 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,800,364 times
Congrats, it takes a lot of guts to walk away and many missed opportunities. Good luck in your future endeavors!

Old 01-15-2013, 03:18 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,485,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyTXsmile View Post
Thank you for the words of encouragement.

What a daydream (complete with smoke lol)! Maybe one day you'll make it a reality.

I set aside money specifically for this day to hold me over while I take a little time off then look for something new in a new city. It's still a littler nerve-racking, though, as the fear is there that things might not pan out in the timeframe I've set aside.

But at the end of the day, you only live once so sometimes you need to plan as best you can, then just take that jump!
Sounds like you made a rational, well planned decision to better your life..CONGRATULATIONS on being able (and willing) to do something MANY of us have thought of wanting to do!

Best wishes moving forward in your new life/location/career!

Old 01-15-2013, 05:07 PM

4,160 posts, read 5,634,389 times
Quote:
After 7.75 years, I finally resigned today from an employer with an average turnover rate of 5-6 months.

What I have learned from this experience: #1, I have nerves of steel and #2, I'm nuts as why didn't I do this sooner?!

Has anyone else walked away from a perfectly stable, well-paying career in the middle of a historical recession? How did you feel? What are you doing now?

Yep! And it was awesome.....now I'm in school (medical field)...it's hard because I'm broke but I did the right thing...my ex co-worker called me on Sunday to see how I was doing and told me everyone on my team quit because of the stress (working 60-70 hours a week EVERY week)...the turnover is about 8 months...

It is scary but it made me change directions...something i wanted to do for years but was too scared.

Good luck!

Old 01-15-2013, 08:53 PM

242 posts, read 356,357 times
Quote:
After 7.75 years, I finally resigned today from an employer with an average turnover rate of 5-6 months.

What I have learned from this experience: #1, I have nerves of steel and #2, I'm nuts as why didn't I do this sooner?!

Has anyone else walked away from a perfectly stable, well-paying career in the middle of a historical recession? How did you feel? What are you doing now?

I have and I'll do it again.

I have a small biz, internet based that I am working on. My plan is to leave working for others FOR GOOD come June!!!!

Old 01-15-2013, 10:32 PM

143 posts, read 333,219 times
OP, congratulations for having the courage to do what you feel is right and for walking away from a toxic environment.

I did the same thing last year without having any job lined up because I got to the point where I could not stand anything about the company anymore. Fortunately that ended up working out; at least my coworkers at my current job are nicer and my boss is actually competent and approachable. As for those at my ex-firm, those stagnant old farts can rot away - they are a useless bunch who think they are hot defecation anyway.

Old 01-16-2013, 01:10 PM

254 posts, read 598,932 times
Quote:

It must have been very nerve-wracking there seeing people getting laid off a lot. You could have stuck it out for the severance package - $$. Good luck finding a new job.

Old 01-16-2013, 02:05 PM

1,548 posts, read 3,041,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennStar View Post
It must have been very nerve-wracking there seeing people getting laid off a lot. You could have stuck it out for the severance package - $$. Good luck finding a new job.
We weathered the recession well, luckily, so no lay-offs here, but seeing other companies struggle was concerning.

A severance package would be nice, wouldn't it? Nothing like that offered here, though.

Thank you for the well wishes, from you and everyone!

Old 01-16-2013, 02:21 PM

254 posts, read 598,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSchoolols View Post
Details on why you left? I worked at a major fortune 500 company for over 13 years. Had lots of time invested with a (at the time) great company. Then they started laying off non-stop. Then they started taking away "perks" like good health insurance, the eliminated the pension, they took away any work life balance, and they started outsourcing many positions. I stayed through it all until my last year there, I ended up reporting to this witch of a boss. She was such a witch, one of the worst and nastiest person I have ever met. Well, that was the final nail in the coffin. I really loved working there, but towards the end there was nothing left to love. It was a very liberating experience leaving them with a mess they still have not cleaned up. That is what happens when you hire people based on nepotism and not qualifications.

I ended up working for a smaller company making 2x what I was making at my old job. At first it was great, but my boss had severe ADHD and it just drove me nuts and took years off of my life.

Now I am at another company and have only been there a few months so we will see where this takes me
Sounds like a job I was just at. The boss I worked with was impossible. It was a smaller company too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment